'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailering a Weanling

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-21 8:20 AM
20 replies, 13946 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Centex
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-18 11:04 AM (#69575)
Subject: Trailering a Weanling

New User

We just bought a weanling and have to go pick her up this weekend and bring her home, @ a 500 mile trip each way. We've been hauling horses for @ 10 years but never a baby. If it was closer I'd load one of my other horses that gets along with everyone and use him for a babysitter but would rather not haul him a 1000 miles just to babysit. I'll be taking our 4 horse slant and was planing on just tieing the dividers open so she will have the entire trailer and NOT tie her ( she is halter broke and they have tied her some )..Anyone having experiance with hauling youngsters rhink this is OK or am I looking at trouble??

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-10-18 11:11 AM (#69576 - in reply to #69575)
Subject: RE: Trailering a Weanling

Extreme Veteran

I would make sure you have LOTS of shavings down for bedding in case the baby wants to lay down.  When I hauled my weanling we did the same thing and she was fine.  Make sure you give her plenty of water, and stop every 45 minutes to an hour to ensure the baby gets reast.  Babies require far more resting than adults as they are not used to this and it is very demanding on their bodies.  Good luck!  I would also put shipping boots or polo wraps on to protect her legs for support, make sure you put them on correctly or have someone do it for you.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-10-18 1:06 PM (#69580 - in reply to #69575)

Expert

I have hauled a weaner once...probably a 250 trip for the horse. It was suggested to open up the dividers and let the baby have the run of it so I did. I did not stop every 45 mins- I stopped twice ( mostly for me getting some pop and a bathroom break). Otherwise it would have taken twice as long to get home. No water breaks, just get him home. In your case, if you feel you want to stop, go ahead. But getting him home and off the trailer is better than repeated stops ,dragging out the process.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-10-18 1:40 PM (#69581 - in reply to #69575)

Extreme Veteran

I don't agree with farmbabe.  You have to remember these are young horses that are not used to dealing with a lot of stress.  Standing in the back of a trailer is very taxing.  I would suggest if anyone thinks it isn't that hard on a horse go stand yourself for the same amount of time we ask them to. 

Babies are growing and their legs are not equipped to deal with the stress of standing and balancing for such extended periods of time.

They need time to relax and get a break from the vibrations, jolts, swaying that goes on in the back.  They also need a water break.  I would suggest getting a container of water where the weanling is coming from, they are used to that water or more likely to drink.

500 miles is a very very long distance, and you figure at 55-60 miles an hr (majority of states speed limits with trailers over 500 pounds have this limit)You are talking at least 9-10 hrs of straight travelling.  That is awfully hard on a young horse. 

A weanling is not physically nor mentally ready to haul for a long time without frequent breaks, especially if they are not used to travelling. 

halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-10-18 3:29 PM (#69587 - in reply to #69575)

Veteran

Speaking from experience, that's why you put DEEP bedding down, Babies will lay down and sleep soundly if they have a soft bed, and will travel well. Keep water where they can reach it - half bucket so is doesn't slop all over - and hay to munch on, and they will be fine. Be real sure that any latches or hinges or other protrusions are padded and taped over really well with duct tape - don't want any shiners from an unexpected bounce. Make sure they do have room to get up and down easily - take out dividers rather than swinging them out of the way, and make sure there aren't any openings to get a leg under and caught (ie, low dividers). Don't leave a halter on unless the baby is wild enough you can't catch them - if you MUST leave a halter on, make sure it fits closely so it's less likely to snag on things. Do NOT use one of those dadburn hard rope halters - a fitted SOFT leather one is ideal.With some planning and care, your baby should travel well and arrive in good shape. Do make sure it's not too soon after the actual weaning - a baby needs a month (IMHO) to balance out from the stresses of weaning, feed change etc.Best of luck,
st_pinetree
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-10-18 3:49 PM (#69590 - in reply to #69587)

Originally written by halfpint23 on 2007-10-18 3:29 PM

Speaking from experience, that's why you put DEEP bedding down, Babies will lay down and sleep soundly if they have a soft bed, and will travel well. Keep water where they can reach it - half bucket so is doesn't slop all over - and hay to munch on, and they will be fine. Be real sure that any latches or hinges or other protrusions are padded and taped over really well with duct tape - don't want any shiners from an unexpected bounce. Make sure they do have room to get up and down easily - take out dividers rather than swinging them out of the way, and make sure there aren't any openings to get a leg under and caught (ie, low dividers). Don't leave a halter on unless the baby is wild enough you can't catch them - if you MUST leave a halter on, make sure it fits closely so it's less likely to snag on things. Do NOT use one of those dadburn hard rope halters - a fitted SOFT leather one is ideal.With some planning and care, your baby should travel well and arrive in good shape. Do make sure it's not too soon after the actual weaning - a baby needs a month (IMHO) to balance out from the stresses of weaning, feed change etc.Best of luck,

You'll be fine.  500 miles is NOT a very, very long trip.  Bed deep, and you'll be fine.  Stop as frequently as you can, and its important to provide water.  We just took delivery on a weaner that went on the trailer Sunday evening on got here this morning. (four days in the trailer, now that is a very very long trip)  Fresh as a daisy.  She was hauled in a deeply bedded box stall so that she could lay down, and that is the most important thing IMO, more important than stopping frequently.  Good luck, and have a fun trip.

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-10-18 6:08 PM (#69596 - in reply to #69575)

Extreme Veteran

I guess I can jump in here and get my head bitten off...  I helped a friend haul (supplied the truck, trailer and driver) a 6 month the first of this year for 580 miles.  We loaded her up in the trailer and hooked her in (she was halter broke).   We had a large hay bag in there suspended high and headed back with her.  We had rubber mats in the trailer and that was all.  She rode the whole way home tied and did just fine.  10 hours later when we unloaded her, she finally came off (this was her first time in the trailer).  We only stopped along the way for fuel and to check on her.  I had a CB in my truck and would talk to some of the semi drivers and they could see her through the back end of the trailer to let me know how she was doing back there. 
Tintilly
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-18 7:10 PM (#69599 - in reply to #69575)

I hauled a weanling from south Tx to Cheyenne, Wyo in July. I have a stock trailer with living quarters but the other poster is right. She was in a "stall" 8x8, I hung a water bucket, grain bucket, and hay bag for her. She ate and drank like a pro. Bed good and don't tie her. She will lay down I'm sure and should be happy. My baby spent a night on the road and ate and slept just like she did at home. Nancy

The night on the road was in a motel parking lot, not traveling. 

Edited by Tintilly 2007-10-18 7:16 PM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-10-18 8:37 PM (#69602 - in reply to #69575)

Expert

If i take a weanling on a four hour drive stopping every 45 mins for a 15 min break, your adding nearly an hour and a half longer to the trip. Thats more stress!!! Get the bugger home- stop if you must but two stops should be enough. Bed well,provide hay and just get home!
Sheree
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-10-18 11:25 PM (#69606 - in reply to #69575)

I have a point that I don't often see addressed in forums on hauling. If we would not let our children ride at 60+ mph standing up in the back seat unrestrained, why do we think it is a good idea to give a weaning (or 1200+ pound horse for that matter) a large open box in a trailer? If nothing goes wrong, no problem. The horse is happy, we are happy. On the other hand, if there is a sudden swerve, collision, etc. All that weight becomes a missile hitting your trailer, falling violently, etc. Just let your imagination work on that picture for a minute. Now, if the horse is instead standing in a padded stall where he can have a chance of staying on his feet (eggcarton effect), not only will he have chance at less injury, but you have a better chance of regaining control of your trailer. Any trucker can tell you a shifting load is not a good thing. If you take the average 4 horse slant, swing open all the dividers, just think of how far and how violently a weanling could be thrown if there is a bad wreck. Just food for thought, and probably an argument :0).
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-10-19 7:23 AM (#69610 - in reply to #69575)

Extreme Veteran

farmbabe:  how is it more stress?  They get a chance to relax their legs. I strongly suggest you stand up in the back of a trailer going down the interstate for long periods...then tell me what is more stressful...standing and bracing while the trailer is bouncing (alot rougher ride in the back then it is for us in the truck) or stopping for 15 mins to get your bearings and settle down.

I don't think an extra hour is going to hurt the baby, I think the consideration should be put on the horse and not your convenience. 

Babies are not mature, their joints are not mature and are not meant to handle that stress.   You can do some serious damage to the the joints if you are not careful.

ntcowgirl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-19 7:38 AM (#69613 - in reply to #69575)

Regular

i hauled my weanling from indiana to texas,,,1200 miles.  i put her in the stock trailer, heavily bedded in straw.   any time i haul long distance i stop every 2 hours for 20-30 minutes and every 4 hours i take them off the trailer, let them walk around on solid ground and pick a little grass if possible.   just be in a safe area away from traffic!     i know people that haul all the time dont do that but it's something i like to do for my horses.  

i also give probios and electrolytes the day before and the day that i haul anything over 8 hours.   started that on recommendation of a vet after hauling 12 hrs to okc to the world show and had a mare colic.   have never had a problem since doing that.

something else to remember....if you are crossing state line, have a coggins on that baby!   i didnt think of that and if the baby is not on the same trailer as mom (mom was in trailer behind) they must have a coggins.   $500 fine for me passing thru kentucky. 

Edited by ntcowgirl 2007-10-19 7:40 AM
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-10-19 7:40 AM (#69614 - in reply to #69575)

Veteran

I would have to sit on the side of taking some breaks...not only for the baby, but for you!  If you drive 9 hours with only one or two breaks, you're likely to not be driving as well as you should....staring at only the road and you're not going to be as sharp and attentive and you may even fall asleep.  So breaks every 2 hours is a good thing to keep you and your horse safe.
cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-10-19 9:02 AM (#69617 - in reply to #69575)

Regular

A couple of other thoughts, if you are going to hall the weanling loose in the trailer, don't just tie the dividers over, remove the dividers! A weanling could lay down close to the dividers and if it tried to stand could try to stand under the dividers pulled & tied to the side and this could cause problems! A weanling is so small, you may not even feel it struggling if it did get tangled up! Also, if possible, add some of the ABM or Mallard Creek pelleted bedding to the shavings, they will help absorb the ammonia from the urine, which could greatly reduce the risk of respiratory distress in a traveling horse (make sure you have good ventilation). This should also allow you to "wet" the bedding some which will reduce the dust particulates that circulate from the shavings. Personally, I do not use shavings any longer, I use about 7 bags of the pelleted, wetted down bedding in a 4 horse slant. It lasts along time and in my opinion works much better than shavings, just have to give them a good soak of warter.  Also, I agree that on a 500 mile trip, I would only stop 2x and would rest the horse for about 30 minutes each stop. Leave it in the trailer and offer it water. I think if you leave buckets hanging or feed bags hanging that it could cause more problems for a loose weanling than it would be worth. I hate to offer hay anyways, there is always a possibility of choke when feeding hay during transport. I will say that I am a little over-cautious, but just remember, those baby horses wake up every day looking to get into trouble! Also, make sure you truck/trailer are in good shape and tires look good before beginning your trip (keep in mind this will be a 1000 mile trip for you!) Should be fun!
ntcowgirl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-19 9:11 AM (#69618 - in reply to #69575)

Regular

amen on removing the dividers..that is an accident waiting to happen if left in....if it can be got in to, a baby will find a way.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-10-19 5:18 PM (#69645 - in reply to #69575)

Expert

As a summary...Thus far...

We have...

halter/no halter...

stops/no stops...

dividers/no dividers...

which all goes to show how tough these critters can be...

I think the stress is greater on the driver than the horse...

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-10-20 7:57 AM (#69672 - in reply to #69575)

Extreme Veteran

Paul you are MORE than welcome to stand up in the back of a rig for as long as some are suggesting, lets see how tired you get. It is amazing the things people will put a young horse through but wouldn't think of doing the same thing to their own kids.  You wouldn't tell a 5 yr old child to do something you expect an adult to handle, it is the same with a young horse.  You don't ask them to take on what an adult horse can handle.  I guess it is how much you genuinely care for your horse, if they are a disposible animal you want to run risks with or if they are a precious companion.  It is how one views their horses.  I prefer to err on the side of caution.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-10-20 2:11 PM (#69686 - in reply to #69672)

Expert

Originally written by mrstacticalmedic on 2007-10-20 7:57 AM

Paul you are MORE than welcome to stand up in the back of a rig for as long as some are suggesting, lets see how tired you get. It is amazing the things people will put a young horse through but wouldn't think of doing the same thing to their own kids.  You wouldn't tell a 5 yr old child to do something you expect an adult to handle, it is the same with a young horse.  You don't ask them to take on what an adult horse can handle.  I guess it is how much you genuinely care for your horse, if they are a disposible animal you want to run risks with or if they are a precious companion.  It is how one views their horses.  I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Huh??? Did you actually read what I wrote???

I wasn't supporting any one option...I was just noting that it seems every option has been proposed...short of AIR FREIGHT...

And I still think there is more stress to the driver than the horse...

That's because the driver can imagine every scenerio that could possibly happen...

If you think I deal with Dressage Show Horses as a "disposible animal "...then you must think I'm made of money, because one horse costs about what the average LQ trailer costs...most cost more...

Trust me, I protect every animal I have ever hauled...shipping boots, head bumpers...etc...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-10-20 2:44 PM
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-10-20 3:54 PM (#69688 - in reply to #69575)

Extreme Veteran

Glad to hear that Paul.  I am sorry I misread your post.  Blame it on blonde in a box syndrome...lol..  (actually reddish blonde).

Glad to hear you take every precaution.  I am just passionate when it comes to babies, they are not as hardy as one things they may be.  Especially when it comes to young joints and ligaments. 

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-10-20 4:10 PM (#69689 - in reply to #69688)

Expert

Originally written by mrstacticalmedic on 2007-10-20 3:54 PM

Glad to hear that Paul.  I am sorry I misread your post.  Blame it on blonde in a box syndrome...lol..  (actually reddish blonde).

Glad to hear you take every precaution.  I am just passionate when it comes to babies, they are not as hardy as one things they may be.  Especially when it comes to young joints and ligaments. 

Yeah...I never cease to be amazed that people will spend a "boat-load of money" on a horse and then haul them with zero protection...

cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-10-21 8:20 AM (#69699 - in reply to #69575)

Regular

I personally think it is less stressful on the driver when you eliminate as many negative variables as possible. You can then haul confidently that unless there is a major "accident" that things should go as planned. That's why I suggested checking truck & trailer, removing dividers, bedding deep, and not using water buckets or hay bags during transport on a loose horse. I have seen too many "accidents" that could have been prevented with a little thought prior to transport.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)