'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cherokee Horse Stables GA

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-13 9:07 AM
6 replies, 4495 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-16 4:46 PM (#69462)
Subject: Cherokee Horse Stables GA

Regular

Looking at camping there in the future. Anybody been there and have comments on facilities, trails etc? Thanks for your comments.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-20 7:40 PM (#69694 - in reply to #69462)
Subject: RE: Cherokee Horse Stables GA

Extreme Veteran

I did not camp at Cherokee Stables, but I have ridden the trails there. The scenery is beautiful. The trails are extremely rocky but my horse was shod and the rocks did not bother us. The trails vary from road size to narrow but I really liked the trails. A couple of people in our riding group was not too thrilled with the trails but they were novice riders. I did stall at Cherokee Stables and the stalls were in good shape. I understand the access to the actual camping site is difficult for a large rig. I do know the view from the campsite is nice. Hope this helps.
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-10-20 10:04 PM (#69695 - in reply to #69462)

Elite Veteran

Where is this place?
Peanut
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-10-22 1:49 PM (#69775 - in reply to #69462)

We did not camp there.  I don't recommand taking a big rig in there.  It is hard to get into and out, gravel roads, narrow and dips that can tear out your tanks if you hit them the wrong way. 

We did not care for the trails at all, they were really rocky and rough.  The campsites were on a hill, no trees, etc.  They did not ask to see our coggins or health papers either.

Over all my husband said it would be a cold day in .......before he ever goes back.

http://www.n-georgia.com/horse-stalls.htm

D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-22 4:24 PM (#69782 - in reply to #69775)

Regular

Wow. Thanks for the comments. Spent too much money on the trailer to tear it up. Trails don't sound like my cup of tea either. Appreciate it.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-12 4:48 PM (#70996 - in reply to #69782)

Extreme Veteran

We just camped at Cherokee. I am not sure when the previous post stayed there but we had no problems. However, my rig is rather small at only 20 feet pulled by a crew cab dually. When we arrived there were larger rigs there but nothing huge. The gravel road in and out is narrow but highly passable. There were several different sites to hook up including the afore mentioned sites up on the hill. The view was amazing from the hill sites. The only place I saw anything that resembled a dip in the road was if you were to try and pull your rig into a couple of the sites from the backside. Many sites were completely level with the road. I simply pulled in the middle road and backed my rig into our site right smack in the middle of the hill sites. The trails are not for everyone. A couple of the trails are extemely rocky but my horses handled them well. Cherokee has recently obtained permission to use one of the bike trails as well. We did not see a single bike nor did the people who were leaving the day we arrived. The view from the trails is wonderful. Although none of the water falls actually had water this time due to the drought, the surrounding mountain views were really colorful. The stalls are in good shape. The restroom facilities are just the bare minimum. (I have LQ so not an issue for me.)I know that they have done a lot of work on the campsites. It is not a "premier" camp but we enjoyed our stay and the view. Our coggins were checked before we even unloaded our horses. Just wanted to share my experience.
Felix
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-13 9:07 AM (#71048 - in reply to #69462)

Cherokee Stables is at Fort Mountain State Park in NW Georgia.  The trails are definitely not for everyone - very rocky and steep in places.  We did have a good ride though, and the camp hosts are wonderful.  It was my first outing in my new LQ and I had some bugs to work through - they bent over backwards to help me with my troubleshooting.  We had a nice site just past the stables on the left before the hill.

Felix

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)