'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How to tie a horse in a Titan Slant load Trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-17 2:11 PM
22 replies, 8304 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

WesternPleasureRider
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-13 11:31 AM (#69305)
Subject: How to tie a horse in a Titan Slant load Trailer

New User

I just bought a new Titan Avalanche lll 2 horse slant load bp trailer and don't know how to tie my horses in it. I've always used straight load trailers and the tie ring in the new Titan is more like a bar. How long should the trailer tie be? What kind of trailer tie should I use? If I'm only hauling one horse should I put him in the first slant stall in the trailer? How do you hang a haybag in this trailer? Thanks for any and all help.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tintilly
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-13 12:10 PM (#69307 - in reply to #69305)
Subject: RE: How to tie a horse in a Titan Slant load Trailer

I assume you bought the trailer from a dealer, if not there should be one close. I think I'd take it back and have some tie rings put in it , several are always nice in each stall to hang things.
Most people if they have the space leave the first stall open because it is usually hotter and not as much air flow. It generally has an excape door which makes for a great storage area for feed and shavings etc as the back tack often is too small.

Enjoy your trailer. Nancy
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-10-13 12:30 PM (#69308 - in reply to #69305)

Expert

I'd say you'll get every answer under the stars for your question, so here is mine. I don't tie a horse in the trailer, unless the trailer is constructed so as a horse can get to another horse. If the dividers are made so the horses cannot get to each other I don't tie. I never put a haybag in front of a horse going down the road, If i'm going to stop and eat I'll sometimes give them a haybag then. I have been hauling horses, known and unknown with no problems for 25 years this way.

Let the bashing begin.

WesternPleasureRider
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-13 1:26 PM (#69310 - in reply to #69305)

New User

We don't really have the option of taking it back to the dealer. The bar isn't very long, it's just not a ring. It's somewhat confusing to me. I would like to keep the first stall as a tack stall, but it's only a two horse and it doesn't have a divider that goes all the way to the floor. We have plenty of room for the tack- rear tack and 88" by 33" dressing room.

I have heard leaving horses untied in a slant is really dangerous. I always prefer to tie my horses in any trailer we haul them in. I was hoping to find a specific length that works well in a slant load trailer. Our trailer we had before this one had mangers and I used 30" trailer ties, but I figured that they would be too short for a slant.

I go to a lot of shows that are 3-4 hours away or farther. I figured it would be better if they had some hay to eat on the way. As I said our older trailer had mangers, so I'm not sure how to hang a haybag in the trailer. Thanks for the help.

cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-13 4:00 PM (#69312 - in reply to #69305)

Extreme Veteran

Would it be possible for you to post pictures of the tie rings that are currently in the trailer? I'm having a difficult time visualizing what you are describing. Most slant load trailers have 2 tie rings per slant- one to hang a hay bag and one to tie the horse. I usually tie the horse to the forward ring and a hay bag to the rear ring. I use elastic trailer ties with a bull snap on one end and a quick release on the other.

To tie or not to tie is an individual preference. It doesn't mean either is correct or incorrect. It's about what you and your horses are comfortable with! 

Cindy

WesternPleasureRider
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-13 4:53 PM (#69316 - in reply to #69305)

New User

This is the inside of the trailer. I drew over the tie ring/bar because you couldn't see it. It's the only tie ring in the trailer. There is only one in each slant stall.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/western_pleasure_girl/aaaatrailer.jpg

Tintilly
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-13 7:25 PM (#69319 - in reply to #69310)

Maybe you have a friend, relative or can take it to a shop and have some rings put in where you want them. Thats still what I would do.

As for tying I have hauled many a mile and sometimes I tie and sometimes I don't, it really depends on the horse as much as anything.

A stud stall is easy to make, just go to Tractor Supply ot whatever you have there and buy a mat and have it hung from the divider.

If your tie is higher ues a cross, tie they are longer and have the same ends, rather than a trailer tie. I see your picture and understand the dilema.
riddenhardputawaywet
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-10-14 1:31 AM (#69325 - in reply to #69305)

Regular

Why tie???

I used to tie all my horses and the realized they are better off not tied?

I Know I am probably opening up a can of worms here (agian) but....consider not tying...

Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-14 10:02 AM (#69330 - in reply to #69305)

Veteran

I am interested in the tie/not tie debate. I've never not tied but I'd like to hear the pros (and cons) of not tying.

Esp. the folks who don't tie could you tell me the benefits of it and why you don't tie in the trailer?

Thanks so much!

Deirdre Marr

Dallas, TX

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-10-14 11:58 AM (#69335 - in reply to #69305)

Expert

I don't tie for one reason only, when you open that divider to let the horse out, if they are to start coming backwards before you untie them, then start to pull back on your tie there you are standing to the side of or behind them, I have seen this happen to many times a horse is unsure of the trailer and starts to come out before they are untied. I slide my hand up from their rumps until I can hook the lead to them. I have never had any problems doing this.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-10-14 12:36 PM (#69336 - in reply to #69335)

Expert

Originally written by HWBar on 2007-10-14 12:58 PM

I don't tie for one reason only, when you open that divider to let the horse out, if they are to start coming backwards before you untie them, then start to pull back on your tie there you are standing to the side of or behind them, I have seen this happen to many times a horse is unsure of the trailer and starts to come out before they are untied. I slide my hand up from their rumps until I can hook the lead to them. I have never had any problems doing this.

i tie in the trailer for the same reason i tie on the trail, at the barn or anywhere else.......i want the horse to be where i left him when i get back.

HWBarr this, http://www.justforponies.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=165  would solve your problem.

i have been using this, http://www.theclip.info/  works really well.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-10-14 12:39 PM (#69337 - in reply to #69335)

Expert

I don't tie for one reason only, when you open that divider to let the horse out, if they are to start coming backwards before you untie them

I have one horse that will do this everytime.  I tie him, but when I walk back to open the trailer I stop and untie him from the outside.  If I leave him untied while driving he tries to get his head over the divider to visit the next horse and I have found him with his head stuck and his neck twisted around.  If I had had to hit the brakes or had been hit while he was like this it would have seriously hurt him if not killed him.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-10-14 1:15 PM (#69339 - in reply to #69305)

Expert

I tie, unless one is loose in a box stall in transport.  I have known of two, while untied, that tried to turn around and wound up under the partition with their back.  One became paralyzed 2 days later, then died some 3 days later.... that was a QH show horse.  The other was a foxhunting TB mare... and that happened yesterday...her situation is being assessed every few hours.  If the horse is known to fight the tie, I tie just long enough that if he really wanted to set back, his hindquarter would be stopped well by then by the buttbar or rear or side of trailer.  If it rides in my trailer (other than stock trailer) it gets tied.  I untie before opening to unload, and on equines belonging to others,  will shut up the trailer then go around and tie their head.  Works for us.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-10-14 1:37 PM (#69341 - in reply to #69336)

Expert

Originally written by chadsalt on 2007-10-14 12:36 PM

i tie in the trailer for the same reason i tie on the trail, at the barn or anywhere else.......i want the horse to be where i left him when i get back.

HWBarr this, http://www.justforponies.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=165  would solve your problem.

i have been using this, http://www.theclip.info/  works really well.

I don't need any tricks or gadgets, I don't have a problem.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-10-14 2:16 PM (#69342 - in reply to #69341)

Expert

i would consider that a problem, perhaps i should have said "your concern with tieing"? 

just trying to point out some possibly usefull products,  im not really concerned with how you, or the next guy, does things.

Edited by chadsalt 2007-10-14 2:18 PM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-10-14 2:49 PM (#69343 - in reply to #69305)

Expert

You must have missing the first postwhere I said 25 years and No Problems doing it my way.

I don't care if you tie your horses from the roof, I just tried to explain the way I do it.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-10-14 3:15 PM (#69344 - in reply to #69305)

Expert

nevermind, and youre welcome.
Tintilly
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-14 5:27 PM (#69346 - in reply to #69339)

I too have a stock trailer with living quarters because I haul mostly mares and babies and trail ride. Altho it is nice enough to pull into any show and fit in. I haul both ways but usually tie because it keeps the trailer from rocking when the horses move around as well as easier to clean when they poop in the same corner. I leave them at night if on the road so untie so they have a stall away from home.
One of the first things learned is to never untie the horse before the back door is open. I've seen several serious injuries with horses coming out before untied. You have to figure out a way to tie them on the outside of the trailer if you can't do it any other way.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-10-15 8:11 AM (#69367 - in reply to #69305)

Extreme Veteran

I have a 2H slant and usually only transport one horse.  I like to put him in the second (rear)stall as there is a little more room.  I always use a nice stout rope halter with a 12 ft lead.  There are two tie rings for each stall - one on the left and one on the right above the windows - in my trailer.  I use the one on the right of the horse and tie a safety knot with the lead line.  The horse always seems to be able to untie the knot, no matter how many loops I make.  Last time I trailered him, I looped the lead around his neck and tied a safety knot under his neck.  Before I let him back out, I untie the knot.  He's sometimes hard to unload and I find myself leaning into the window to push him out, so that 12 ft lead comes in handy.  The dividers in my trailer have a solid top section so horses can't mess with each other.  I've never had that problem.  I can't see any reason to tie them up. 

I also would never trailer with a hay bag attached.  If traveling more than 3-4 hours, I would stop and rest, hang a bag, but remove it before getting back on the road.  I would not leave a bag in a stall because of the possiblilty of stuff blowing around and getting in the horses' eyes. Also you run the risk of the horse getting hung up in the bag.

If you're convinced you need to feed them while on the road, you could investigate the snap in corner feeders that are available.  You'll need to install rings on the trailer to snap to.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-15 1:15 PM (#69398 - in reply to #69305)

Elite Veteran

I have only one tie ring per stall and have mangers, and I do keep hay in front of my horse going down the road.  I use a hay net, and tie the net off to the tie ring in the next stall, over the divider.  It would be easier to have two tie rings per stall but until I get them put in this works.  I use a hay net because my horse tends to pull his hay out of the manger and then doesn't have any hay.  I have a 7'6" tall trailer and regular trailer ties are too short, so I use cross ties with a safety snap on one end and a bull snap on the other.  Works for me. 
WesternPleasureRider
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-15 4:22 PM (#69418 - in reply to #69305)

New User

Thanks for all the help. It looks like I'm going to have to go and get some cross ties. I'm still going to tie my horses. I know that everybody has their own preference and tying is mine. If my horse isn't tyed, he is always trying to get out of the trailer. My other horse knows that if she is unclipped it's time to get out of the trailer. I'm not sure but think that when I'm hauling just one horse that I'm going to put him in the first stall (closest to the dressing room) because I think he would just try to get into more trouble in the bigger stall. Again, thanks for the help.
HTWOK
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-16 1:14 PM (#69454 - in reply to #69305)

Regular

One thing you should checkout is the terms of your warrenty.  When you alter your trailer (exp. adding tie rings) it can void your warrenty.  Make sure to check with the manufacturer first before making any alterations to your trailer.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-10-17 2:11 PM (#69524 - in reply to #69367)

Expert

The dividers in my trailer have a solid top section so horses can't mess with each other.  I've never had that problem.  I can't see any reason to tie them up.

That is how my trailer is too and I think that is the geldings problem.  He want's to see the other horses and so gets twisted around to get his head over the divider to see them. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)