'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Problem in trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-07 11:12 AM
11 replies, 4787 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kricket
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-21 7:48 AM (#66185)
Subject: Problem in trailer

Hello,

I am a little discouraged...
My horse load weel in my trailer ( a Kiefer Built 2 horses slant).
The problem is when he realize he is tied, he seems to become very impatient, even very furious. He dig with his feet, he put his head in the air, he moves forward, step back. And I think he hits his head on the roof vent, because I found some horsehair. And I believe he bumps into the divider, wall and roof, because I saw it was emboss. So you can see it seems to be rock and roll! It's going on for 30-45 minutes, and after, he relaxes and do the rest of the trip calm.

What can I do???????
I am afraid that one day, it turns bad....8
Help us please!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-21 9:16 AM (#66187 - in reply to #66185)
Subject: RE: Problem in trailer

Expert

Sounds like your horse is a little large for your trailer.  Your biggest problem is that your horse needs to be re-trained to stand tied.  He does not accept the confines of the slant stall and this will get dangerous, very dangerous.
kricket
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-21 10:22 AM (#66191 - in reply to #66187)

My horse is a Quarter Horse, 15.2 hands.

How train a horse to accept the confines?
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-08-21 11:11 PM (#66222 - in reply to #66191)

Extreme Veteran

How big is your trailer?  Is it a slantload or straightload?    Some trailers are only 6'6" tall and wide.  I'd think that a horse your horse's size would need a 7' x 7' trailer at the very least.  My horse does not like a straightload and tends to get really panicked when it's time to close all the doors when we start out.   He never does this in a slantload where he can see what's going on.   So, you can guess what kind of trailer I have now :)  *

cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-08-22 9:34 AM (#66254 - in reply to #66185)

Regular

Kricket I understand if you read my post I had a horse have a trailering problem this week and it was so scarey! Is he rearing while in the trailer and hitting his head? I hope you can work this out. Sounds like he does need to stand tied to learn patients but I think these trailer manufactors need to design a better divider system. I think there should be bars in the divider like a stall where they don't feel trapped...
kricket
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-22 9:40 AM (#66255 - in reply to #66185)

Cindy, where is your post?

Cowgirl, my trailer is a slant, 7' tall

kricket
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-22 9:42 AM (#66256 - in reply to #66185)

Oupss, sorry Cindy, I found your post!!!!

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-22 4:29 PM (#66290 - in reply to #66185)

Extreme Veteran

Try removing your second divider to give your horse more room.  Be sure you are not tying him too tight. He should be able to lower his head enough to clear his sinuses uless you have a manger then, of course, this does not count. If you have a manger, be sure you are not tying his head down so that when he lifts his head, or steps back, that he isn't getting a lot of poll pressure from the halter which might cause him to panic as well.  Perhaps he just is a bit big for the space and feels a little clausterphobic.  I am going to assume he ties well in general, just doesn't like to be confined and when he feels his head tied he gets a bit anxious.  I have a 7 ft tall trailer and my 16.1 hh horse likes to stick his head over the divider and some hair ends up in the vents but he is usually just trying to see something or irritate the horse next to him. 

Good luck! I hope you get your problem solved.

Tammy

kricket
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-23 6:02 PM (#66375 - in reply to #66290)

Thank you for your help!
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-08-24 12:46 PM (#66401 - in reply to #66254)

Elite Veteran

I think there should be bars in the divider like a stall where they don't feel trapped...

CindyDJ, some manufactures do install bars on the divider. I have an Elite trailer that has bars at the top of the dividers and between the mangers, but also know that 4 Star, Hart, Cherokee, and Sundowner and some other brands do too. Freind has a Delta with the bars and another friend has a steel Sundowner (straight load though) with them. I'm sure the bars can custom ordered on most trailers. I prefer the bars not just from the anxiety issue some horses have with enclosed spaces, but also from an air circulation perspective..... More air flow in the trailer.

Edited by ponytammy 2007-08-24 12:49 PM
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-07 1:54 AM (#67389 - in reply to #66185)

Expert

Originally written by kricket on 2007-08-21 8:48 AM

Hello, I am a little discouraged... My horse load weel in my trailer ( a Kiefer Built 2 horses slant). The problem is when he realize he is tied, he seems to become very impatient, even very furious. He dig with his feet, he put his head in the air, he moves forward, step back. And I think he hits his head on the roof vent, because I found some horsehair. And I believe he bumps into the divider, wall and roof, because I saw it was emboss. So you can see it seems to be rock and roll! It's going on for 30-45 minutes, and after, he relaxes and do the rest of the trip calm. What can I do??????? I am afraid that one day, it turns bad....8 Help us please!

you don't state where you are from...but if no one else can help...check out Clinton Anderson...currently he is looking for Problem horses for demos at the All American Quarter Horse Congress in Columbus, OH on Oct. 13, 14 & 19. We need horses with general problems on the ground and riding, and spooky horses. Interested? Submit a demo horse application

And if that doesn't work for you...check his current tour...I saw him load a horse that stood on his hind legs before he'd get on the trailer...and Clinton over the training session got this horse to load so that anyone could load him...I was truly impressed with his techniques...YMMV

http://www.downunderhorsemanship.com/index.html

trinabug
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-09-07 11:12 AM (#67407 - in reply to #66185)

i have had colts that were this way before learning to stand tied.....some don't like confined spaces.....i start them out tied with there head in a corner of their stall with an aussie tie ring....they can get free if in trouble...but are safe inside the stall....how long of a period is your horse used to being tied for.....for really hard cases we load in a cattle trailer and just let them stand untied....after a few days of this we tie in the cattle trailer.... a little shorter rope each time....eventually they will stand tied with their nose touching the wall and relaxed....we do put bumper pads on the colts while training in case they throw their heads up.....and we always use aussie tie rings
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)