'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
shipping/traveling boots

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-07 1:12 AM
14 replies, 8830 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mygollygirl
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-13 1:03 PM (#65737)
Subject: shipping/traveling boots

I am considering purchasing shipping/traveling boots for my horses (one being 14.3 hh & the other 18.1 hh).  I have never used them or wrapped to haul in the past.  After reading some info on the internet I'm considering changing my ways.  The reason is change of horse trailer (Brenderup w/ ramp & solid partition between horses, to now a Featherlite slant step-up w/out solid partition).

From experience(s) what are some of your thoughts of shipping/traveling boots?  Pros/cons?

Also, it seems as though they are mostly 'one-size-fits-all'.  Why does this strike me as stupid?

Anyone know the proper way to measure for these boots?

Any english wrappers out there (pillows/cotton & standing bandages)?  How do you keep wraps secure & prevent unwrapping?

I know in a past post someone suggested using the SMBs.  Any reason why this would be a bad idea maybe with a bell boot?

On long trips will any of the options get too hot or waste soaked?

Thanks!

Edited by mygollygirl 2007-08-14 10:12 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-13 2:25 PM (#65745 - in reply to #65737)
Subject: RE: shipping/traveling boots

Expert

IMO- I don't use boots or wraps. If incorrectly applied,wraps can cause more problems than solve ( or prevent), boots can slip down and just get stepped on. When its hot out, boots just create more unwanted heat and when its cold, they can cause sweating under them. To each his own but I don't use boots or wraps when hauling horses short distances or long.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-08-13 5:07 PM (#65756 - in reply to #65737)

Extreme Veteran

Ditto, Farmbabe.

They are potentially more damaging than helpful.
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-08-13 5:13 PM (#65758 - in reply to #65756)

Extreme Veteran

I agree. I don't use boots or wraps. Just hauled some horses over 1000 miles in two days and they did just fine.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-08-13 5:32 PM (#65762 - in reply to #65737)

Veteran

I sometimes use them...it really depends on the horse, the trailer, the trip, etc.  I've known a few horses to be so freaked out by them that it is better to do without.  I personally like to use standing bandages, i use "kentucky" brand no-bows with a knit track bandage over the top and they stay on just fine. I used to work for a trainer that shipped horses very long distances in these and they worked great, very rarely did we have any problems with waste, movement, etc.  Race track people generally like a no stretch flannel bandage with safety pins over their pillow wraps, I don't think that a little stretch is a bad thing myself, but you must put them on correctly.  I generally recommend shipping boots for beginners cause they are more (no offense to anyone) idiot-proof.  And yes, they are mainly one size fits all, very stupid.  The Weatherbeeta ones will only fit a 16 hand or higher animal.  There are some on the market that are smaller but you have to really search!
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-08-13 8:04 PM (#65767 - in reply to #65737)

Veteran

I use shipping boots for trips when we are hauling for more than just a couple hours.   I've never had a problem with heat underneath them and it gives me peace of mind to know that they have some padding around their legs something happened.

Also, I have a really lightweight set that I use on horses that have never worn them before.  I've never had any kind of problems using shipping boots.

whoaboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-14 10:43 AM (#65814 - in reply to #65737)

Regular

Have never used them. The only thing I have seen happen while shipping was a friends horse in a slant load trailer rubbed the hide right off his back legs while traveling around 4 hours. Had they had on boots, might not have happened or been so bad.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-08-14 9:55 PM (#65858 - in reply to #65814)

Expert

I was told by my vet that wraping is not alway the right thing to do the horse could frek out and get hurt or as everbody said the wraps could come off and that would scare the horse. So I haul with out wraps
dmgrinnell
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-15 7:50 AM (#65874 - in reply to #65737)

In 2004 my friend and I hauled for top twenty.  She used quilted wraps and I used pillow wraps.  She wrapped for "support" and I wraped to prevent any cuts or dings while loading or unloading.  Needless to say, by the end of the season her horse has little white hairs all over where his wraps were obviously cutting off circulation.  I wrap my pillow wraps loose, just enought to keep them where they are supposed to be.  We are always in a different trailer, ramp or no ramp slant and straight load.  Had a young one rear up, rip through the wrap, and pillow and didn't even touch her leg.  Glad I had them on.  

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-17 9:53 PM (#66029 - in reply to #65737)

Expert

Here is your English person...quilts and flannels but not anymore.

I was taught to wrap for shipping by my equine vet.  Problem was you could only wrap for one thing (not both) either support, or protection not both. 

1.  Support could be needed but they have made great advances in trailers and flooring/mats that have diminished this argument.  If you haul with lots of shavings on the floor you have no need for support unless ordered by a vet, irregardless of distance.  To measure for these you measure from the rear point of the knee to the ergot.  It seems long but they'll shrink.

2.  Protection also, could be needed if there are other horses or objects that could injure the leg or hoof.  If you wrap for protection you must cover the coronary band of the hoof.  To measure for these you'll measure from the center of the knee(front) and along the curve to the coronary band adding 1".  This too seems long but they shrink.

When I hauled my youth show horse solo I wrapped for support (wrapping the cannon only) but with extra tall no-bow wraps and polo/standing wraps so they came down over the coronary band.  Even as a fence horse he was clumsy.

I have found that some horses take to wraps better than others, and some to support wraps or protection wraps especially.  If you have not been trained in wrapping you'll be better off not to do it.  The last several years I trained I didn't wrap unless we had horses that didn't have very many miles on them.  They only got wrapped so they'd cause less damage to themselves.

You can't keep wraps secure if they aren't put on right the first time.  If they come unwrapped you need to pull the horse and remove all the wraps, then re-load.  Riding with one leg unsupported could cause problems.  (with a protection wrap this is less important.)  This may be one reason many hunter people still use head to head trailer configurations.

I absolutely would not put a performance boot (SMB, jumping, splint, etc.) on a horse during shipping as these are made for moving not standing.

During long trips your wraps will suck-up pee and become poop stained.  The fronts with geldings and the rears with mares get the pee and you really can't stop it.  You can wash the wraps once you arrive at the show and hang them to dry...they have ways of walking off from the drying line FYI.

They get hot but you can't stop that either, again you'll need to wash them at the show.  You will always need to allow them to breathe after removal.  Unwrapping and rolling them back, ready for your trip home isn't wise.

When it all comes down to it, I can't say that my horses did better with or without them.  As a scientist I must say that the only conclusion is they have the ability to do more harm than good in most cases.

mygollygirl
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-20 12:44 PM (#66156 - in reply to #65737)

Thanks to all for your feedback!  I think I have made up my mind to continue with what I have always done over the years... nothing.  I have lots of experience under the belt in wrapping during exercise & show, so I think I will just take everything to wrap 'just in case' over the few days of hauling.  Thanks again!!!

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-08-24 8:23 PM (#66426 - in reply to #66156)

Extreme Veteran

Wrapping is a tricky business. I have used both types of wraps and, at this time, do not wrap. All of the suggestions here are good although I agree about not shipping in SMB's.

I traveled with a friend who's trailer was rear ended. The door and ramp came in on the horses who fell down.  They were riding in the back of an open stock trailer facing forward. They were essentially crossed tied to keep them where they belonged.  These horses were not wrapped. I believe if they had been wrapped the lacerations would not have been as bad.

Just food for thought.

Happy trails, Tammy

Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-08-29 11:28 PM (#66804 - in reply to #65737)

Regular

We don't wrap. Have hauled a lot of miles and not had any problems. Even when hauling the racehorses, we didn't wrap.

Would not use SMBs. Tend to get too hot, and you might risk a bow. For that reason, we pull them off when the horse comes out of the arena, and cools down.
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2007-08-30 1:24 PM (#66846 - in reply to #66804)

Extreme Veteran

I would never trailer without them.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-07 1:12 AM (#67387 - in reply to #65737)

Expert

When I haul expensive dressage horses...I find owners almost 99.99% use shipping boots...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)