'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
High Country Campground, VA

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-02 5:26 PM
15 replies, 7028 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trailride4fun
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-30 1:35 PM (#64664)
Subject: High Country Campground, VA

How is the campground at High Country Campground in VA? Are the trails marked? Are they steep and rocky?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-07-30 2:55 PM (#64671 - in reply to #64664)
Subject: RE: High Country Campground, VA

Regular

Extremely rocky, the worst I have ever seen.  But the views are fantastic.  Trails are marked, but we had to get a Nat. Geo. map.
trailride4fun
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-30 3:21 PM (#64675 - in reply to #64671)

Would you go back?
mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-08-01 5:39 AM (#64801 - in reply to #64664)

Regular

No I would not go back, but I am glad I went the first time. If you go, just be aware that the trails are extreme and take a good first- aide kit for your horse. We went with a large group, and didn't have any mishaps. But we were warned ahead of time that about one horse a year dies up there from bleeding to death on the trail by being cut on the rocks. Not trying to scare you off or discourage you, just be aware.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-08-01 8:18 AM (#64808 - in reply to #64664)

Extreme Veteran

Where is this campground located? Do they have a web site?
mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-08-01 2:17 PM (#64832 - in reply to #64664)

Regular

Troutsdale, VA http://www.highcountryhorsecamp.com/
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-01 10:05 PM (#64867 - in reply to #64664)

Veteran

I've been to HCC in Va. twice and enjoyed both times.(Once for 3 days, the other for 4) The trails ARE rocky, but these rocks are flat (on the actual trail). There are rocks within pastures you should be careful about...don't go flyin'through them. My horses ride barefoot and have tough feet...they did just fine.When you first see one of the trails that is composed of these flat rocks...you'll think.."we're going down this??!!" Give them their head and they will pick their way....after the first time, they won't be so intimidating...What DID kinda get to me was the mile trail(Elk Garden) from camp to access the actual trail heads...you go OUT that trail and RETURN to camp on that trail EVERY time.....but the scenery is beautiful.If you are riding a gaited horse , forget hittin' any licks....not that kind of trail system...it's mostly ambling along and enjoying the scenery!You'll be riding on the TOP of these mountains...I don't recall the trails being particularly steep.I will go back...be sure to pack your slicker, as rain can come up pretty quickly...one little storm we encountered got us "wetter than wet". Oh well, whatcha gonna do...ride on, sister! Happy trails...
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-03 5:44 AM (#64988 - in reply to #64675)

Veteran

Oops..correction about High Country and the Elk Garden trail....it's not a mile....it's an hour ride!! Just got pretty "uneventful" (although pretty) Although judging from some folks latest riding adventures...."uneventful" would be a blessing~
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-08-03 1:52 PM (#65026 - in reply to #64664)

Veteran

We have been going to the Mount Rogers recreation areas for over 15 years. We have stayed at High Country every year. The stalls are clean dry, large and airy for your horse. The camp ground is clean, grassy and there are hot showers and clean bathrooms. Yes, the trails are rocky, but I have never heard of a horse bleeding to death and that is an extreme exaggeration. A hore did die last year from being struck by lightening. The trails are clearly marked at the junctions. The "Scales" is considered the center of the riding trails. You can go to the Mount Rogers Recreation site or Virginia Highlands state park (just type that into the search criteria) and you can get all kinds of information, view trails, get some maps and order a large map from the department. We just stayed four days on the other side of the mountain from High Country. It was beautiful. We saw the wild ponies. There is also the state park and Rocky Hollow Horse camp. There is also more riding at Fox creek and that mountain is not rocky and is part of the Va. highlands horse trail. We can tell you lots more places to ride in Virginia.
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-03 2:37 PM (#65032 - in reply to #64664)

Veteran

Just my opinion, but I prefer to stay at the Va Highlands State Park. The trails that access the Mount Rogers area are better from the park and not as long to get to nice riding plus you dont need to go through some of the rocks that are mentioned in these posts. The campsites are better in my opinion, better shaded. The horse barn just has tie stalls, but our horses did fine in them for a week of riding. There are some outside pens available also. There are a few areas up in Mount Rogers that are pretty rocky also, but the main trail access from the west (High country)is one of the worst. The only drawback if you consider it is that the campground is about 50-75 yards from the barn thus you need to haul tack up to saddle up, but there is a parking lot next to the barn so we just throw everything for entire group in one truck and haul it up and leave the truck there until we return. No big problem.

Edited by martyg 2007-08-03 2:41 PM
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-04 9:21 AM (#65092 - in reply to #65032)

Veteran

I'm not confusing Va. Highlands Horse camp with Grayson Highlands camp am I? If not, how do you get to Va. Highlands from the I-77 area? Also, how about the camping navigation with an LQ (10'-3 horse) rig? I tell you, with this new trailer I have, I have to get some heads-up info about the camping area...sure you know what I mean! Does tis camp have elec/water hookups? While on the subject....anyone been to Iron Mountain camp lately?? How about it??? Thanks, guys..
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-08-04 9:25 AM (#65093 - in reply to #65026)

Veteran

Great!! Would love to know of your first-hand visits to other Va. area camps! (Have been to High Country...like it too) I would like to have elec/water hook-ups. Thanks for any info.
rockin kgin
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-08-04 2:28 PM (#65109 - in reply to #65093)

I ride frequently at Iron Mountain Horse Camp. It was IMHC that was responsible for us moving up this way from Florida. Had planned to stay there 3 days but stayed 3 weeks, went home sold the ranch, retired and moved up here (Laurel Fork). Trails vary from easy to difficult. You can ride 1 hour or 12 hours. You can ride 4 different directions. The trails aren't well marked but you learn them with time. Good barn facilities, clean bathrooms with hot showers, water and electric at each site and a nice tack shop.   Ken
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-08-06 11:12 AM (#65237 - in reply to #64664)

Veteran

We go to Iron Mt. Campground often.  We even take our grandchildren who play in the stream that runs through the camp. Shelia and Danny Odum are wonder hosts. Shelia loves to take people out on trail rides. the place is immaculately clean and well cared for. The website is www.ironmountainhorsecamp.com. You can get any size trailer in there. 
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-08-07 9:35 AM (#65313 - in reply to #64664)

Veteran

Other places to ride in Virginia: Rockyhollow Horse camp in Va Higlands or some call it the Mount Rogers Recreation Area, http://www.blacksfortinn.com Abdington, Va.http://www.fortvalleystable.com/ This is northern Viginia.http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/easterndivide/recreation/horses/index.shtml

This is the Jefferson National Forest web site for areas around  Blacksburg, Roanoke areas. The White Cedars horse camp does not have electric but does have portable water, nice toliets, and the actual campgound is more beautiful than any I have ever been to. The trails are not rocky.

trailride4fun
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-09-02 5:26 PM (#67045 - in reply to #64801)

We just returned from High Country Campground and absoutely loved it. The owners are so nice and really want to please. The campground is not the largest (which to us is a plus) - very clean and well maintained. The stalls are large and well built. It is a great place and after a long day of riding we found the nightlife to be quite and laid back. (another plus)

The riding was great and the views are breathtaking. HCC offers a "shuttle service" and we opted to try it out. This gave us an opportunity to try trails that were further out from the campground and ride back. Everyone in our group wanted to stay longer.

Already planning to return!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)