'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Gooseneck vs bumper pull-pricing difference?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-04 8:20 PM
1 replies, 2650 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mylittlebaymare
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-06-04 7:54 PM (#61797)
Subject: Gooseneck vs bumper pull-pricing difference?

I am starting to look for my first truck and trailer, and I really don't have a strong opinion about whether I want a bumper pull or gooseneck, but I do have a limited budget. I know bumper pulls are (in general) cheaper, but I was also wondering about the difference in trucks that would be required to pull a bumper pull vs a gooseneck. Would there be a significant price difference in the truck? I'm only looking for a 2 horse, straight load or slant, so I'm pretty open in what I'm looking for.

Also, I was planning on looking for a used trailer, but are there any new trailer brands that would be less expensive that I could look into?

Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
foxpointfarm
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-06-04 8:20 PM (#61798 - in reply to #61797)
Subject: RE: Gooseneck vs bumper pull-pricing difference?

With your requirements of two horses, a bumper pull would give you the most options for a tow vehicle. With a two horse,  a large SUV such as a Tahoe, Expedition, Suburban or 1/2 ton truck with a V8 will work just fine. If you go the gooseneck route, I would recommend going with a 3/4 ton truck which is more expensive. Most auto manufactures don't recommend their 1/2 ton pick ups being used to pull gooseneck trailers.

I'm not sure what your budget is, however, I would recommend looking hard for a used trailer. Back in 2000, we bought a 1986 Trail-Et bumper pull for $4000. Last year, we sold it for $3000. THere are a lot of nice, well maintained used trailers out there - many people buy the two horse bumper pull then the next year trade in for a larger trailer. Let someone else take the depreciation hit!

Heck - my neighbor bought a real ratty 2 horse steel trailer that had seen much better days for $100. For a $500 donation to the local high school industrial arts program, the school basically did a frame up restoration and now it is  as good as new.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)