'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll Put spray on liner on alum. floors?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-30 4:46 PM
11 replies, 6087 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rdm551
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-05-29 10:08 PM (#61434)
Subject: Put spray on liner on alum. floors?

I have been reading some of the threads where people have had trouble with the floors on thier trailers, like holes and/ or corrosion.  Has anyone thought of using the spray on bed liner stuff they put on pickups?  I'm kind of new to all this, just thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas on this.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rockin'TK
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-05-29 10:54 PM (#61443 - in reply to #61434)
Subject: RE: Put spray on liner on alum. floors?

Spray in bedliner gets WAY TOO HOT on the floor.   I done one and sold it ASAP and bought a new trailer..   Check into WERM flooring, little hight but WAY better and softer on the feet.....
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-05-29 10:58 PM (#61446 - in reply to #61443)

Expert

I don't see how it would get to hot.  It is applied over the existing floor and under the mats (bedliners tend to be slick) which only gets as hot as the air temp around it.  If anything it would help to insulate the floor just a little bit more. 

My old trailer had the spray in liner and it was never any hotter than any other trailer I've ever had.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-30 5:29 AM (#61451 - in reply to #61434)

Expert

Originally written by rdm551 on 2007-05-29 10:08 PM

I have been reading some of the threads where people have had trouble with the floors on thier trailers, like holes and/ or corrosion. Has anyone thought of using the spray on bed liner stuff they put on pickups? I'm kind of new to all this, just thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas on this.

I wouldn't.
a) I keep my trailers CLEAN, on the inside at least.
b) I suspect that the rot through is some function of the particular alloy used and (not)cleaning.
c) If corrosion is taking place I want to see it happen BEFORE the floor lets a hoof through. The only thing worse than corrosion being covered corrosion.
rattler
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-05-30 9:21 AM (#61463 - in reply to #61434)

Regular

I bought my all aluminum stock combo trailer and went directly to the Line-A-Bed dealer. Had them cover the floor and 4 inches up the wall. Put the mats down and after 2 years could not be happier. Recently had a friend have to replace the floor in his Featherlite as the pitting had gone all the way through the aluminum. I pull the mats 2 times a year, spray it out and it looks like new.
scoop
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-05-30 11:07 AM (#61471 - in reply to #61463)

Having gone down the floor pitting road unfortunately, I have explored the spray in bed liner option.

My husband has a friend who used to own a bed liner store - has since sold it so is an impartial consultant in this case.  The friend told us that the bed liner material may have trouble sticking to aluminum - particularly if the aluminum is ridged and not flat as it was in our case.  The friend said that it would initially look great but over time would probably start peeling away in areas.

We tried to contact WERM as that was another option but to no avail (no returned emails or phone calls) nor did it appear that there was a WERM dealer in our area.

The option I would have gone with if I had kept the trailer would be to put down a fiberglass resin over the aluminum that was designed for use with aluminum (used for boats).  The fiberglass resin is strong, light and adheres well to aluminum.  For looks, you could then spray in a bed liner over the top of the resin (and yes you would still need to use mats).

In the end, I felt cutting my losses was the best route to take as in my case, the corrosion was happening from top down as well as underside up. 

And for the record - I do not live in a marine area.  I do/did keep my trailer floor clean.  I pulled the mats regularly.  I opted in my next trailer to not have an aluminum floor....

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-05-30 11:22 AM (#61474 - in reply to #61434)

Expert

You know when you really think about it.....A pressure treated "PINE" floor with the gaps between the boards for the beast's excrement to sift out upon the nations roadways is hard to beat!!!  Sorta like a trailer/spreader combo! I got an old 1993 "Circle M' stock trailer that has a wood floor that is as solid as the day it was installed. We drag out the mats, hose it down, let it dry and it still looks and feels solid. It's simple and it works, how bad can it be?
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-05-30 12:17 PM (#61481 - in reply to #61474)

Expert

You took the words right out of my head.  I was thinking the same thing.  My trailer is 8yrs old with the original wood floor I've never had any problems with it.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-05-30 3:30 PM (#61495 - in reply to #61434)

Expert

I just bought a new Logan Coach XT.  All the XT and XTR models come standard with a Aluminum floor covered with a Vortex spray in liner. They coat all 4 sides of the aluminum planks used for the floor boards.  So their is no exposed aluminum. They space the aluminum planks so their is still drainage between them even after being sprayed. They also spray the inside walls of the horse area and under the gooseneck and box drop wall.

They also put in rubber mats on top of the sprayed floor.

I would assume the matts protect the Vortex coating from getting beat up by shod horses. The Vortex proctects the Aluminum from exposure and corrosion.

Over time maybe there would be enough movement with the matts to work grit and debris through the Vortex spray and expose the aluminum plank. But if somebody occassionally pulled the matts and hosed it out, I think it would be a long long time for the aluminim to corrode.

mshal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-05-30 3:39 PM (#61497 - in reply to #61434)

Regular

See my post about carbon in mats!!!!
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-05-30 4:31 PM (#61500 - in reply to #61495)

Veteran

I too have a Logan XTR with the plank floor sprayed with Vortex.  I use this trailer constantly with a horse that kicks when she's mad (makes me mad too!).  Anyway, no damage to the walls, no scrapes or areas where the vortex is coming off.  It definately drains- seen this first hand as mine love to pee in the trailer!  The mats the trailer came with are thick and absolutely protect the floor as well as provide cushion- so far so good with this set up.

From what I've read the trick is to have the alum. prepped properly. 

traveller
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-05-30 4:46 PM (#61502 - in reply to #61434)

I recently purchased a 2001 Sundowner Trailblazer II with what I believe they call Suncoating on the aluminum floor.  This trailer hasn't been used much and seems to be in good condition, but I was wondering if I need to worry about corrosion in the future.  I always travel with lots of shaving and I pick out the droppings when I get to my destination.  Obviously, I need to take care of the floor by cleaning it out regularly.  The Suncoating seems to be very similar to the Linex bedliner in my truck.  Just wondering what others thought about this product, if there were any problems, or other possible things I should be looking for regarding corrosion issues.  This wouldn't be the trailer of my choice, would have preferred wooden floors and insulation in the horse area, especially in the roof, but the price was something I could do.  One of the drawbacks to aluminum flooring is the heat and I would assume the coated aluminum would be just as hot or perhaps hotter than an alulminum floor.  Thanks for the information. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)