'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
long haul for a trail ride

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-29 12:41 PM
12 replies, 5292 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-05-08 1:12 PM (#60571)
Subject: long haul for a trail ride

Extreme Veteran

I live in Mid-Tenn and am planning a trip to go trail riding in Northern Wisconsin.  I have never trailered my horses that far and will be planning overnight stops along the way.  What is a reasonable distance / amount of time to trailer them in one day? 

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-05-08 3:31 PM (#60573 - in reply to #60571)
Subject: RE: long haul for a trail ride

Elite Veteran

You'll get alot of different opinions about this.  I moved 4 horses from Northwest Indiana (on the shores of Lake Michigan), to Central Alabama.  700 miles approx.  I always just drove straight through.  The horse would have a hay bag, and was watered when we stopped to eat, but I never unloaded, walked them around etc.  Just kept on going.  They all did fine.  Of course I rested them for several days before riding.  Going through (around) Chicago will be the most taxing on both you and the horses.  You might want to plan on hitting that area at dark.  Jump on 294 to go west of Downtown Chicago. 
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-05-08 9:46 PM (#60586 - in reply to #60571)

Veteran

Same here. We trailer for about 600 miles a day (16-18 hours) when vacationing to Wyoming. Offer water a couple times a day...horses usually wont drink much while in the trailer. You can give some hay in a bag, but be carefull to keep the bag up high so feet cant get in it. We stop for the night and give hay and lots of water. If possible, stop somewhere that the horses can walk around (large stalls or turn out pens) being tied up during the night plus in the trailer can cause them to be sore and have some swelling in the lower legs. Upon arrival, we give the horses the night off and then ride the next day. Never had any problems. Horses seem to trailer fine even on these long trips. Good rubber floor pads and some sawdust for padding helps. Some of the folks that trailer a lot use double rubber pads in the trailer floor. I think you will find the horses travel as well or better than you.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-05-08 11:52 PM (#60596 - in reply to #60586)

Expert

I've trailered mine for 8-10 hours pretty regularly, with no problems.

If it's hot during summer weather, I've on occassion unloaded them and hosed them down. Usually at a fairground or someplace that I felt safe about unloading at.

In fact county fairgrounds are a great spot to unload, let the horses run a lap or two around the arena, roll, or stay the night.

My horses like Beet pulp and I soak it good and put it in the mangers for them to eat along the way. It adds water that they may not drink while in the trailer.

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-05-09 7:42 AM (#60602 - in reply to #60571)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks to everyone!  Sounds like great advice all around.    Happy Trails. 
skylermom
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-05-09 8:57 AM (#60603 - in reply to #60571)

Regular

I stumbled across an interesting website for those traveling with horses...I'm not sure how accurate it is but there is a lot of info for overnight stop locations that can accomodate horses:

http://www.horsetrip.com/

Good luck with the hauling!

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-05-13 3:45 PM (#60736 - in reply to #60571)

Extreme Veteran

I used to live and work in the Chicago area. The advice about getting around Chicago is right on. However, I-294 is an important commuter highway as well as a truck route. Traffic around the south end of Lake Michigan and Chicago is horrible during rush hours. 5-9 a.m. and 3-7 p.m. or, you could schedule so that you go past early on Sunday morning.

Better yet, plan your route to avoid the Chicago area by taking I-24 to I-57 through central Illinois to I-74. Take I-74 west to I-39 which goes straight north through Illinois and Wisconsin. You'll miss all the really Big cities that way. There are several Illinois state parks along the way for rest stops or overnights where you can let the horses get out of the trailer for awhile. Moraine Vally or Moraine View (I can't remember the exact name)is a nice one just southeast og Bloomington, IL. If you plan to stop overnight in Illinois, your vet has to apply for a permit from the state. A vet has to do it, you can't.

We haul as long as 14-15 hours at a time, giving the horses some rest breaks. My preference is for 6-7 hours per day. That's just easier on us driving. We've gone from Missouri to Pennsylvania and from MO to Wyoming a couple of times each. On long drives we take advantage of the rest areas on the interstates to walk the dogs, give the horses a drink, and us a chance to walk around a little. When it's hot we tie small buckets (8 quarts) 1/2 full of water so they can drink any time. If the buckets are full, they'll spill too easily. They always have some hay available. Nake sure the roof vents are open and the horse windows front and back so they have air moving to keep them cool.

Happy Trails. You'll love nothern Wisconsin.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-05-13 4:02 PM (#60738 - in reply to #60571)

Extreme Veteran

Also, check out where the Big truck stops like Flying J and Love's are.
They have gas and diesel at reasonable prices, propane, dump stations and usually potable water as well as a restaurant an fast food place. One stop and you can get it all done. And they have separate RV lanes that'll accommodate horse trailers. You can look 'em up on line.
mnhunter
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-05-15 9:24 AM (#60790 - in reply to #60571)

When we first started to travel longer distances to ride, we used to unload every 6 hrs or so.  It seemed like the only thing the horses were interested in was trying to eat any junk weed they could find.  Now we just offer them water every few hours and  and give them a hay bag that has been wet down.  We usually go about 12 hours or so before stopping for the night, but I have gone as long as 24 hours.  In that case, we did unload twice and walk the horses around for about 30 minutes and water them.  Some horses never seem to drink much on the road. Every horse is different, but we have never seen any ill effects on our horses from these hours.  I also dont tie my horses so they can put their heads down.  This may not work with a horse that is new to hauling but mine have over 10,000 miles in the trailer so are used to it.
foxy54748
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-05-19 8:59 PM (#61008 - in reply to #60571)

JacciB - you will want to plan your trip to northern WI in the spring or fall.  Most places in northern WI have mosquitoes and deer flys that will drive you and your horse nuts.  Since you are traveling that far - I just wanted to warn you about the insect problem.  I live in north central WI and we usually travel to southern WI to ride during the summer months (June-Aug).
djkrash
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-05-28 6:32 AM (#61339 - in reply to #60571)

I have done major hauls coast to coast. Usualy stop every few hours for fueal, then we check everyones water, hay, general condition and the trailer tires, hookup. Also during transports like this we usually will put electrolytes in the water to hide different tastes. Some horses stress and sweat alot. The only time we take them out is to clean out the stalls, usally at a fairground or friends place. Note if you are hauling thru a national park, use only wood shavings on your floor and carry only tagged, certified weed free hay on board. We got turned back at Yellowstone's gate and had to do a 200 mile backhaul. Dan
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-05-29 8:30 AM (#61381 - in reply to #60571)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks again to everyone for the information.  Dan, thanks for the tip about the wood shavings and hay. So sorry for your trouble.

Safe & Happy trails this summer to all.

JacciB

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-05-29 12:41 PM (#61398 - in reply to #61381)

Extreme Veteran

In addition to wood shavings, we use Woody Pet or Equine Fresh pelletized sawdust under where the horses will urinate. It's very absorbent. But, be sure to put shavings on top of the pellets as the pellets will roll under foot. It's been a great combination for us.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)