'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Coupler Lock for Gooseneck

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-23 9:44 PM
5 replies, 3464 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mygollygirl
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-23 8:44 AM (#59782)
Subject: Coupler Lock for Gooseneck

What locking do you do, if you do, to your gooseneck coupler?  After a quick look online I would have never thought of the lock for the coupler bolt in addition to the coupler.  There is a lock set for both coupler & coupler bolt including keyed alike padlocks by Blaylock for about $82... is this a good price?  Is this overkill?  Is there an easier way to protect a new investment?  (I don't think it matters but we just purchased a Featherlite.)  :)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-23 9:11 AM (#59785 - in reply to #59782)
Subject: RE: Coupler Lock for Gooseneck

Expert

Originally written by mygollygirl on 2007-04-23 8:44 AM

What locking do you do, if you do, to your gooseneck coupler? After a quick look online I would have never thought of the lock for the coupler bolt in addition to the coupler. There is a lock set for both coupler & coupler bolt including keyed alike padlocks by Blaylock for about $82... is this a good price? Is this overkill? Is there an easier way to protect a new investment? (I don't think it matters but we just purchased a Featherlite.) :)

Underkill if anything.
To be effective against a potential trailer thief that lock would have to be your last line of defense, i.e. your trailer would otherwise be a sitting duck.
If you regularly leave your trailer where a thief could easily back a truck under it and whisk it away - ~$82 to $100 is probably a fair investment.
OTOH, if your truck is usually attached to the trailer think up a strategy to prevent the whole rig from going away. Various ideas have been discussed here before, including locking the landing gear down - WAY DOWN low, so that a truck can't get under it. Remove the jacking handle, lock the shaft. The 100 lb dog, other vehicles parked in front, etc. Silent (paging) alarms are something else to consider. Nothing is perfect, but some combination of measures comes close.
On a public board such as this I won't discuss the specific measure(s) that I use (-:

I didn't understand your comment about it being a Featherlite.
Are you suggesting that (because it is a Featherlite) nobody will want to steal it ?
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2007-04-23 12:29 PM (#59799 - in reply to #59785)

Extreme Veteran

Everything Reg said is dead nuts on. Don't ask me how I know this. I have many locks on our trailer including what I think is the best deterrant... a wheel boot, like what the police use to lock out people who don't pay their parking tickets. After ours was stolen, I did alot of research about locking up trailers. Your coupler locks, IMO, are worthless unless they cover up the coupler bolts and even then a thief can jack up a trailer and drop it in a spare tire in the bed of a truck and drive off very easily. With the jack bar removed, all it takes is an cordless drill and you can jack a trailer up and down until the battery on the drill dies.
The more deterrants, though, the less chance your trailer will be stolen. In other words, make it difficult for them, since thieves are opportunists, they will usually bypass the more difficult prospect and move on to a more easy target.
Like it was said before, if they want it they can get it. Like Reg I won't say what other deterrants I do either except the wheel boot is the best thing IMO. http://www.wheelboots-immobilizers.com/guardian.htm

mygollygirl
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-23 2:03 PM (#59804 - in reply to #59782)

Ha, ha, ha... no, the comment on the Featherlite was ignorance on my part... I wasn't sure if there were any specific ideas based on the make of the trailer.  Sorry, if I would have looked over my own message before posting I would have worded it a little different.  I worked bank fraud for 11+ years for a major bank.  I have seen and heard of a lot.  It's sad the measures we have to take to protect our belongings.  My husband also works in a field that services the Dept. of Corrections.  If the general public only had an ounce of knowledge of the crooks out there, there would be more public hangings and less bleeding hearts trying to protect the "poor victims (meaning the crooks) of sercumstance".  Anyhow, thanks for the feedback/info.  :)

Edited by mygollygirl 2007-04-23 2:08 PM
PTRJason
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-23 6:28 PM (#59810 - in reply to #59782)

I know I only have a bumper pull, but I use a lock where the pin goes to prevent the bull lock from sliding back, and I also use a lock that goes where the ball does to prevent anything from attatching to the trailer.

Its about all I can do to it to prevent it from being taken. It is parked next to the street, and has to batteries to it, so can not install an alarm. But it is alse parked about 2 feet from our house, so someone needs some you know what to try to back up, allign, and then try to remove the locks while right out side our door.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo... For the Coupler Lock

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.pl?dir=/automotive... Last one on the page is the one I got.
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-04-23 9:44 PM (#59822 - in reply to #59782)

Extreme Veteran

A local welder can make anything you can think of.  This is what I use, 1/4" steel with a solid 3/4" pin.  They could still drop it in a tire in the truck bed and drag it off.
But Reg is correct, thieves pack an assortment of couplers, cranks, etc. 
Maybe put a boot on the wheel?

My trailer is rarely unhooked and we are real friendly with our neighbors.  They're nosey and know EVERYTHING that happens in our small town!  Thank goodness!  LOL!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)