'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help going up mountain????

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-20 6:31 PM
9 replies, 3635 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-04-05 5:31 AM (#58548)
Subject: Help going up mountain????

Veteran

hello i need a little help and i know this is the place for getting horsey help... we have found a new campground that we love in tn. it is called (circel e). the problem is right before you get there it happens to be going up a mountain side, now what i need to know is what is the best way to do this on my rig without tearing the tranny or r end out of it.. i am pulling with a o5 3500 lbd 4x4 dodge larimie..but im pulling 3h lq cimmeron loaded (15-17000 lbs) there is no way to get speed at the bottom and even if so it would not last long this is a pretty curveing rd... so do i stomp it do i pull it down in lw or lw lw.. these rigs get really heavy when they weigh 8000-9000lbs before you start adding horses,hay,feed,tack,people,etc etc...this is the hardest place on my truck that we pull but we love the campground.. we want to try to go 2 or 3 times a yr now.. but i dont want my truck tore up doing so.... please any help would be appreciated... happy trails!!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-04-05 5:53 AM (#58549 - in reply to #58548)
Subject: RE: Help going up mountain????

Expert

Use the gear that lets the truck stay around 2000-2500 RPM without hunting for another gear. In other words if the truck is traveling at a safe speed in low 2 and not turning more than 2500 rpms let it run there. If that is D than let it stay there. Just don't let the transmission try to shift itself that's called hunting the next gear.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-05 7:41 AM (#58553 - in reply to #58548)

Expert

Originally written by kershawsowner on 2007-04-05 5:31 AM

hello i need a little help and i know this is the place for getting horsey help... we have found a new campground that we love in tn. it is called (circel e). the problem is right before you get there it happens to be going up a mountain side, now what i need to know is what is the best way to do this on my rig without tearing the tranny or r end out of it.. i am pulling with a o5 3500 lbd 4x4 dodge larimie..but im pulling 3h lq cimmeron loaded (15-17000 lbs) there is no way to get speed at the bottom and even if so it would not last long this is a pretty curveing rd... so do i stomp it do i pull it down in lw or lw lw.. these rigs get really heavy when they weigh 8000-9000lbs before you start adding horses,hay,feed,tack,people,etc etc...this is the hardest place on my truck that we pull but we love the campground.. we want to try to go 2 or 3 times a yr now.. but i dont want my truck tore up doing so.... please any help would be appreciated... happy trails!!!!

I'd first try it without the horses, especially if the surface is less than black-top, basically walk them up first. They are towed load, that is they contribute to drag but don't add surface pressure to the truck's driving wheels. For all the horse stress reasons I would get them out first. I think this is more important than your "saving the trannie" concerns.
Remember that your 4WD and parking brake don't work on the trailer's wheels, so if you do get stuck you will probably need several chocks to prevent it from sliding back if you get stuck.
I would use 4WD low and creep it up, at least the first few times.
Trucker's rule; same or lower gear coming down as going up.
Rushing is likely to lead to too many other problems, including loss of traction if you have to get off the power and then back on it again.
Smooth, steady low speed climbing power. I wouldn't worry too much about engine revs as long as it isn't screaming, it needs to rev enough to keep the trans oil and water circulating, in 4WD LO that shouldn't be an issue.
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-04-05 11:07 AM (#58567 - in reply to #58548)

Extreme Veteran

I would just put it in a low gear where you can run high rpm's up the hill. If you're worried about the tranny let it idle five minutes before shutting it down so it can cool the trans fluid down. Not a bad thing to do when towing anyway, it's a lot easier on the turbo too to let it cool off before shutting down.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-04-05 11:56 AM (#58573 - in reply to #58548)

Have you been there before? The road is really not that bad. Just take a deep breathe and drive. If your truck has the tow/haul button, then use it. I have been alot of places with a much larger rig this alot worse to get into. Shift to a lower gear coming out of the camp to save on your brakes but don't forget to shift back.

FYI....A lot bigger rigs than yours make it both in & out with no trouble at all.

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-04-07 4:03 PM (#58732 - in reply to #58548)

Veteran

thanks for the help everyone... i always use the tow haul when i am pulling the trailer.. i know there is alot worse places but its the worst i have to drive in all my horsey campgrounds.. i just want to make sure im doing everything i can to not mess up my truck... these toys are expensive  thanks again..
motorgypsy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-10 8:29 AM (#58979 - in reply to #58548)

New User

While our rig is not that large, our truck is not that powerful and we've actually had the transmission overheat when backing up into the place we park our trailer on our mountain farm. The solution? Put it in 4x4 low. As long as you don't need speed you can climb a wall with no problems for the truck or tranny in this setup. Sure you're gas mileage will suffer but it's a short distance I assume. On our truck you have to stop, put the truck in neutral, then switch to 4x4H, then push the 4x4L button. You'll then see the 4x4L light come on. You do the reverse when you've made it up the hill. It's totally amazing how easily the truck can go up anything. You just can't go very fast - which is fine for something really steep.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-04-18 8:38 PM (#59573 - in reply to #58548)

How was your trip up to the Circle E? Did you have a problem with the hill?
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-04-18 9:39 PM (#59577 - in reply to #58548)

Veteran

we liked circle e ... we made it up and down the hill.. the truck jumped a little going up one time which i did not like..i had it in tow haul i think i will try to put it down in low and go real slow next time up.. its not that bad but i dont like the truck jumping thing going on.. coming down was ok... happy trails
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-04-20 6:31 PM (#59704 - in reply to #59577)

Extreme Veteran

As I remember it is a pretty long hill 2 or 3 miles long. Take your time and try to get a running start just let it idle when you get there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)