'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
S & H steel trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-12 4:22 PM
8 replies, 10999 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MALONE1
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-09 2:53 PM (#56928)
Subject: S & H steel trailer

I am looking at getting a 2-h bumper(7ft. tall X 6'8 wide) with rear tack. I was wondering who has one and what your likes and dislikes might be.

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rkranchgirl
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-03-09 3:22 PM (#56929 - in reply to #56928)
Subject: RE: S & H steel trailer

Regular

I am on my second S & H and I love them.  My first one was a 4 horse BP and my current one is a 4 horse g/n.  What I really like about them are the slant divider latches.  They fit your hands really well to open them and are just as easy to open if there is some weight on them as when the stalls are empty.  I have tried  the latches of a few other brands and they either cut into your hands trying to open them or won't open if there is weight pushing on them. (Not that I recommend opening them if the horse is pushing on them, its just that you never know WHY you might need to get that divider open, and I want it to open if I am trying.)

Both of my trailers have been steel, the newer one is galvaneal.  It is 5 years old with NO signs of rust anywhere.  They are not a top of the line trailer, but I have really liked them for the price.  My only complaint is with the height of the gooseneck area, but that wouldn't be a problem with a BP.

Good Luck

MALONE1
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-09 3:37 PM (#56930 - in reply to #56928)

Thanks. I also like the galveneal(sp) on them. They are also reasonable priced. I am trying to stay in a certain price range and to me they are the best for my money.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-03-09 7:58 PM (#56933 - in reply to #56929)

Expert

I have a '97 2H BP,mine has a dressing room/tack in the front.

I love mine.I doubt that I'd sell it for what I gave for it 2 years ago used.I have had several offers to sell it,and just won't let it go.I would have a hard time finding another one like it.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-03-09 7:59 PM
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-10 5:21 PM (#56959 - in reply to #56928)

Veteran

I bought a new S& H in 2004. I was very happy with the trailer but had to let a friend take it and the payments because of financial difficulties. She still has the trailer and absolutely loves it. Of course she takes excellent care of it, and it looks as good today as it did 3 years ago. My only complaint is that the person who delivered it did not fasten the butt bars and they hung loose and swung around the whole way from NC to Maine and scratched the interior paint on the trailer sides. I don't think they even make the style I got (Thundercloud) anymore, so maybe they fixed that design flaw. The dealer sent me touch up paint to fix it and I added some padding at the place where the butt bars attached to the walls and that was that. Overall, a nice trailer for the money.
That said, I have just ordered a new trailer (now that financial difficulties are over) but I have not ordered and S & H because there are no local dealers, and the first dealer I bought from only deals in higher end trailers now. So I chose another Galvaneal trailer, Titan Avalanche.
I would have bought another S & H had I been able to locate a dealer in New England.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-03-10 10:43 PM (#56973 - in reply to #56959)

Expert

Barstow,you are right about the butt bars.I also have the Thundercloud model.They are a 2 in 1 design,right? they attach to the center divider.And,they are heavy.Mine are somewhat of a pain to hook up when one is already latched.For husband,anyway.I've never had a problem latching them though.

As I say,I doubt that I could be talked out of mine.Maybe for more than it is worth,maybe.Would depend on just how much.It's a good trailer.Of course,I'd love to have an all aluminum 2H Sundowner with feed mangers and a walk through dressing room.But the difference in it and in my trailer? No.

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-11 7:19 AM (#56983 - in reply to #56928)

Veteran

Can't say as I remember about the 2-in-one, but they did fasten to the center divider and as I recall, it wasn't always simple, as you had to have that divider in the exact spot. Nonetheless, it hauled well and my horses liked it. I could even fit my mini in the area in front of the chest bars.
It was certainly a bummer to get my brand new trailer and see those scratches. In further recollection, I don't think the dealer was able to send the paint, due to restrictions in mailing that kind of stuff. So I went to Wal-Mart and got a close-color rustoleum spray paint. It worked ok, but I was grateful that the scratches were inside because it didn't match exactly.
Anyway, I do miss my little thundercloud. It certainly was cheap enough. I think I paid $5000 including delivery from NC to my dooryard in Maine. My new Titan is costing me $8000, delivered to a point 125 miles from home. The Titan does have a bit more fit and finish and has a DR, which the Thundercloud did not have.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-03-11 9:30 PM (#57022 - in reply to #56983)

Expert

My S&H Thundercloud does have a dressing room,which is the reason I jumped on it when I spotted it on a used car lot.The fact that it matched my husband's new truck helped the sale too. I found the paint color and # inside on the dressing room wall,it was a Ford color.

i went to an auto body paint supplier who mixed the color for me.

'

Ms Sharon Kay
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-03-12 4:22 PM (#57034 - in reply to #56928)

Ver nice trailers for the price as you cna tell by others relpies. The galvanealed skins hold up very very well. We have a customer who has had his trailer since 2000 - 01. He runs gravel roads most of the time. Of course the paint by the fenders has long been worn off. The metal showing is perfect! Not a spec of rust. With regular cleaning, especially in areas where salt is used on the roads, an S&H will last for many, many years. Resale on S&H is also better than regular steel. The Contender Sport SE's are an especially good value for a basic trailer thats is strong and looks good. We have two 06's left in stock ready to roll at great prices...sorry for the shameful plug....back to point at hand. You and your hoses should be very happy with an S&H. Good luck! Happy trailering!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)