'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
should horses eat while when being hauled short distances?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-13 11:23 PM
16 replies, 5495 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-07 9:37 AM (#56813)
Subject: should horses eat while when being hauled short distances?

Regular

Hi Ther,

Just wondering what people think about adding feedbags in the trailer. I don't have any in mine (3 horse slant load) and I am wondering if it is a good idea to add them so the horses can eat hay while they are being hauled short distances. Is this a good idea?

Thanks,

J

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-07 11:01 AM (#56817 - in reply to #56813)
Subject: RE: should horses eat while when being hauled short distances?

Extreme Veteran

Doesn't hurt but I don't worry about it if they are only going to be in for an hour or so. It does help a nervous horse if they can eat.... and if they will. I'm guessing you're talking about hay bags? Just make sure it's nothing they can get a foot in or get tangled in (tie it fairly high), bags work better than nets because they are harder to get tangled in.
equiteacher
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-07 1:34 PM (#56824 - in reply to #56813)

Regular

I narly always throw some hay or a little grain in the trailer for them, just as sort of a treat for getting in. As to hay, most of it usually ends up on the floor, but that does show me that they have least nuzzled around in it some what. Strongly agree about making sure haybags are tied up as high as feasible.
rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-07 2:04 PM (#56825 - in reply to #56813)

Regular

Horses are made to graze all the time so hay will not hurt them and will again as posted above may calm a nervous horse.

A little rule of thumb you eat and drik while on a trail ride or riding in the truck, horses should get the same chance to do so.
Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-07 2:55 PM (#56830 - in reply to #56813)

I always let my horses have a little something to eat. The only time I don't is if I am planing to ride the minuet I get to my destination, then I don't let them eat so I wont have to deal with a up-set stomach. If they are in the trailer for 1hr or longer I will usually have pre soaked their hay for at least a 1/2hr so that they get some moisture. It will also help against some choking. I always worry about that with my horses.

Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-03-07 3:11 PM (#56832 - in reply to #56813)

Regular

If your trailer is a stock type with open sides where the wind can blow the mold spores around you may want to consider your horses health. Unless your hay is a baked hay where the mold spores are killed than it has live mold spores in it. All hay has mold spores regardless of the quality of hay you feed.  I used to feed hay while traveling all of the time until one of my mares was diagnosed with heaves. Now, I am not saying that's what caused it. I'm simply suggesting that you consider it before doing it. I think this particular mare was more prone to allergies than the others to start with. My vet told me it's not good for any horse. I know people have been doing it for years. It's just something to think about. If you have a horse that has a tendancy to cough now and again for no good reason you may want to talk to your vet first. All of my horses are a little on the heavy side. We now travel as long as 3 hours and they do just fine with no hay. However,  they all trailer well. The hay will help to keep a nervous horse busy.  Hope I haven't stirred up a hornets nest.  Good Luck!

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-03-07 3:50 PM (#56834 - in reply to #56813)

Expert

Never have feed for short trips under a couple of hours.Guys around here working cattle for folks never do.Their horses are saddled,dogs in the back of the trailers or trucks heading to someones place to catch and work cattle.They never put hay bags up.Dosen't hurt to do so but not needed.What ever makes you feel comfertable.
bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-03-07 6:25 PM (#56840 - in reply to #56813)

Veteran

I ride endurance. I drive endurance to get there. We often haul 12 hours in a day. More than that I will take 2 days. This is for Multiday rides. I put hung up hay bags, buckets of soaked beet pulp and stop frequently to stretch and water the horses. To just buzz over to the local trail head, I don't bother.

marym
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-03-07 7:17 PM (#56844 - in reply to #56813)

I DONT feed my horses when the trailer is moving. I had a mare in the trailer and was taking her to the breeders gave her feed in the manger..When I stopped there was a big pile of globbie, snotty, yuck in the manger? she was coughing? weezing? coughing? took her out of the trailer and she coughed and blew gup all over for about 15 minutes? I put her back in the trailer and searched for a open Vet clinic, hoping she was still alive..We tubed her and tubed her and got a wadded up ball of hay out at last...thought she was going to DIE...So I dont feed in motion. I haul horses around 18-24 hrs a few times a year and what I do is when I stop for rest or fuel I feed and water then take it away until the next stop. They will not Starve in a few hours with out feed..I would rather have one hungry not dead..I never want to have another one choke. MaryM
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-07 7:30 PM (#56845 - in reply to #56844)

Expert

Mary, what happened to your horse is EXTREMELY rare but a horse can chole at almost any time. More often they will choke on carrots and apples than on hay in a trailer. I know of a horse that choked on hay cubes in his stall. If you feel better not feeding in the trailer, that is fine but what happened to your horse is not the norm.
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-03-07 8:14 PM (#56847 - in reply to #56813)

Extreme Veteran

Mine have hay in the trailer ALL the time.
It's just habit now.

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-07 9:12 PM (#56848 - in reply to #56813)

Regular

Thanks to everyone for the variety of opinions. For now I think I will opt not to feed as my horses are great loaders and travellers. Okay, actually, the arab is a bit of a spaz but he copies our quiet older quarter horse mare and does as she does. Star(quarter horse) hops in the trailer, Lucky(arab) hops in too. If Star balked or if Lucky had to go on his own I'm not sure that the common sense factor would transfer. Anyways, I would have to add rings for the hay bags so if I need to I will but for now I won't. I try and feed them an hour or so before we go out and then again once we are home. Thanks again for the advice. I am really learning a lot from this web site.

J

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-08 7:38 AM (#56862 - in reply to #56813)

Expert

I have hay bags but generally don't use them. They can manage a short trip withouthay ( altho i cannot manage a short trip without snacks!) Some horses won't eat while being hauled either. There is no right or wrong- offer hay if you'd like. Longer distances or having to leave early in the AM for a show- then I'll have hay for them. But short trips- nah...

Edited by farmbabe 2007-03-08 8:49 AM
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-08 11:57 AM (#56878 - in reply to #56813)

Elite Veteran

I don't feed mine if I'm only going for a couple of hours.  More food= more poop.  I'll be traveling about 5.5 hours next week and I'll give them a little hay.  The vacuum cleaner horse will eat all of his, the old guy won't touch his, and the mule will munch a little.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-03-09 1:07 AM (#56909 - in reply to #56813)

Extreme Veteran

I always have my hay bags with me.  I usually travel a short distance unless on vacation but I like to give my horses time just standing in the trailer too.  Most of the time I'm gone all day so if we're taking a break I'll tie the bags up on the tie line if it's an all day ride but for a short ride I don't.  We also like to meet for breakfast or have an afternoon ice cream or eat lunch so it gives them something to do while they're waiting.

Edited by horsin around 2007-03-09 1:08 AM
Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-03-09 10:03 PM (#56936 - in reply to #56813)

Regular

All of our horses load and go without a problem, so we're not concerned about the need to calm a nervous horse. That said, we only feed if it is their regular feeding time, and we are hauling. Doesn't matter if it is the show ponies, or the horses going out to work cattle. They only get fed when it is the proper time for them to eat.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-13 11:23 PM (#57058 - in reply to #56813)

Expert

If you feed hay, it should be soaked in water or your drink mix used when traveling.  Dry hay can cause serious respiratory problems.  Most horses will dunk their hay, that's why you are always scooping hay from the water bucket.  I don't feed grain because a nervous horse can get into trouble.  They eat too fast or choke and I've even seen a colic.  Your horse won't starve in the trailer.  Remember if you stop to eat feed and water your horses too!  A lazy munch of hay going down the road will be enough.

You should never feed your horse as a reward for loading as another poster mentioned above.

I've hauled AQHA high point horses and they weren't grained in the trailer while moving and they lived...those are some serious road warriors!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)