'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Painting a steel trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-10 6:54 PM
5 replies, 6028 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Speedy Dr Pepper
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-02-25 8:40 AM (#56250)
Subject: Painting a steel trailer?

New User

Has anyone ever done it themselves? I just bought a used trailer with surface rust, and I would like to touch it up before it rusts more.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-26 9:05 PM (#56351 - in reply to #56250)
Subject: RE: Painting a steel trailer?

Expert

For what it takes to do a good paint job you'd invest more in equipment than it's worth.  Take it to a reputable paint shop and ask what it'd cost.  Painting trailers is usually fast and cheap, not a lot of detail work in prep or tough spots...think long and flat.  Get a good quality paint and it will last and last.
cowgirldi34
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 10:55 AM (#56379 - in reply to #56250)

Regular

You can touch it up, but living in SD, it won't last. We had our 91 steel 3 horse redone 3 years ago, still looks great. It was well worth the $$(cheaper than a new trailer!) Had the running boards and wheel wells coated with Rhino Liner, also the front of the trailer under the gooseneck. We had only surface rust and faded paint before, but it would have totally rusted through if we had not sandblasted, primed, painted and clear coated it.......professionally.........worth the 1500 bucks.(with Iowa salt and sand, also our nasty gravel roads) my trailer still looks good! And it sets out year round. Wax it 2-3 times a year, still shining!!!
cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-02-27 8:56 PM (#56451 - in reply to #56250)

Veteran

I'm a "Rattle Can" queen!  Yes, you can do it yourself especially if all you are after is just to save your trailer from rust until you can have it professionally painted or you are ready to upgrade.  Start on a hidden spot like in the tack area or underside until you get the hang of it.  Grind and sand till you get to clean metal, use fine sand paper for the last bit, until it is smooth, then apply rust converter.  Patch up any holes with bondo,  then use a good quality rust preventative primer and the same brand paint (so the paint will be sure to stick).  Do light thin coats and let them dry.  I wouldn't try to do a whole trailer but I have done spots.  Also, first try some rubbing compound, it will remove rust stains.  Caulk everything you can find or think of to caulk, all around the windows, seems, the screws that hold down the roof and you may save your trailer from the rust demon! 
Speedy Dr Pepper
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2007-03-02 6:45 PM (#56639 - in reply to #56250)

New User

thanks very much, I don't want to put much more into this older trailer and I am planning on updating in a couple years so I just want to save what I can on it!
Laredo
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-10 6:54 PM (#56961 - in reply to #56250)

New User

Hi, just wanted to share what we (well, actually my husband) did with our steel trailer. Our 2 horse was purchased new 13 years ago, and came with a lousy paint job. After a few years the paint came off the roof in sheets. He wire-brushed the bare spots and used spray rusty-metal primer, then painted the entire trailer with a brush and Rustoleum paint. He was very careful, and the trailer looks pretty darn good. It has held up well, with only a few spots needing touch ups over the years. People cannot believe it was painted by hand with a brush! My brother did this with our old farm truck 20 years ago, it held up as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)