'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Worming

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-02 6:47 AM
21 replies, 6169 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-02-22 11:15 AM (#56055)
Subject: Worming

Veteran

What times of the year are you supposed to use Ivermectrin wormer.  Someone told me you should only use it twice a year, but I can't remember which times.  Can anybody help me?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-02-22 12:20 PM (#56060 - in reply to #56055)
Subject: RE: Worming

Expert

I "de" worm every 5 weeks when the farrier comes out and rotate which wormer I use.    If I don't my old girl starts going off her feed.  She can't tolerate the worms and even the smallest amount causes her problems.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-22 7:11 PM (#56091 - in reply to #56055)

Veteran

There are a lot of factors that go into deworming and they are different for each horse, but as a general rule you should definetely use ivermectin in the late spring and fall (after the first cold snap).  Ivermectin will kill the bots.  However it is certainly safe to use at any time, so don't pay attention to the person who told you only twice a year.  If you want to rotate, I recommend switching to pyrantel pomoate (ie Strongid) or fenbendazole (Panacur, Safeguard) in the winter and late summer. Terri-i am curious why you don't use daily dewormer for your horse?  Seems like it would be easier.

Edited by notfromtexas 2007-02-22 7:13 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-02-22 8:09 PM (#56094 - in reply to #56091)

Expert

I haven't found one she can't identify.   She simply won't eat her feed if it's there.  I'd rather have to worm her every month than have her starve herself.  I've tried just leaving the feed in her stall (2 days) but she wouldn't touch it and she can't/won't eat hay so she had nothing.  She doesn't carry any extra weight so she can't afford to not eat.
cowboyup3371
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-02-22 11:54 PM (#56101 - in reply to #56055)

It really depends on where you are.  Here at my stables on Kirtland AFB, we are required to use Ivermectin in April and October while using other types of wormers in Jan and July.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-02-23 2:46 AM (#56103 - in reply to #56055)

Expert

I only rotate from Ivermictrin to Quest.Lots of articles about the other wormers not being very effective any longer.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-23 8:44 AM (#56113 - in reply to #56055)

Expert

I use daily wormer added to the feed.  I like small amounts of chemicals versus the "bomb" approach, I find it's easier in the long run on their bodies.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-02-23 1:02 PM (#56133 - in reply to #56113)

Expert

I use a daily wormer on everyone but my old girl.  I just can't get her to eat it.  I've even tried grinding it up and mixing it in with her Sr feed.  It is sweet and the powder sticks to it.  She knows its there and just won't eat.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-02-23 5:31 PM (#56170 - in reply to #56055)

Expert

This has been discussed recently I thought.Too many animals for me to use a daily PLUS vets I've deldt with years have frowned on the daily wormer as it hinders the horses ability to build up a natural resistence to worms. I also stoped using the Panacur/Strongid type wormers as its been noted that the resistence to these is VERY high and about worthless unless used like in a 5/7 daily dose cycle.I was told and read such about these wormers 5 years plus ago.Ivermictrin has not shown yet to have resistence buid up in horses.Now sheeps and goats from what I understand using Ivermictrin is like shooting blanks these days. 
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-24 7:38 PM (#56233 - in reply to #56055)

Expert

Both my equine vets recommended the daily wormer, maybe it was because my horses were on the road 40+ weekends a year.  I couldn't have a horse be down for a week due to feeling bad.  Maybe it was because my horses were constantly being exposed to "stuff" from all over the states.

I also clean my stalls at shows, I bring a cleaning solution and spray the walls and floor prior to bedding it down...I'm kinda a germ-a-phobe with my horses, no real reason but it seems to work for me.

mickiebon
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-25 7:59 AM (#56246 - in reply to #56055)

here is a list of deworming scheduals you can use and types of dewormers.  i use the adult fast deworming program because we run a boarding facility.

mickiebon

Adult Fast Deworming Program:

January ------------------------- Oxibendazole

March ------------------------- Pyrantel Pamoate

May ------------------------- Oxibendazole

July ------------------------- Ivermectin

September ------------------------- Pyrantel Pamoate

November ------------------------- Ivermectin

Adult Slow Schedule Deworming:

On a slow schedule, the same dewormer is used every 2 months for 1 to 2 years. In theory, drug-resistant worms should emerge when the dewormer is not rotated. In practice, drug-resistant worms do not develop if ivermectin is used once or twice every 12 months in place of the selected dewormer. In facet, since resistance to ivermectin has never been demonstrated, ivermectin itself can be used as the selected drug in a slow schedule.

Foal Deworming Program:

2 months old ------------------------- Ivermectin

4 months old ------------------------- Pyrantel Pamoate

6 months old ------------------------- Oxibendazole

8 months old ------------------------- Ivermectin

10 months old ------------------------- Pyrantel Pamoate

12 months old ------------------------- Oxibendazole

Adult Seasonal Deworming Program:

May ------------------------- Oxibendazole

July ------------------------- Ivermectin

December ------------------------- Ivermectin

Adult Continuous/Daily Deworming Program:

In this program the horse is fed Pyrantel Tartrate (2.64 mg/kg) in alfalfa pellets on a daily basis to control the adult intestinal forms of large and small strongyles, ascarids, and pinworms. Pyrantel Tartrate does not kill tissue stages of these worms, but (when used on a daily basis) does kill larvae before they begin their tissue migration. This has a great advantage for elderly and stressed horses, and in circumstances in which other methods have failed to reduce egg counts and numbers of infective larvae. One other asset of daily deworming is that, as opposed to other programs, Pyrantel Tartrate does not have to be given to all horses on the premises to control worms in a single individual. This is advantageous of boarding facilities and for farms where horses come and go frequently. A potential drawback is the risk that feeding low levels of a dewormer will lead to the development of drug-resistant worms. However, this does not appear to be a problem with Pyrantel Tartrate, a dewormer to which no parasite has yet developed resistance. Pyrantel Tartrate does not kill bots. Accordingly, a boticide should be administered in midsummer and late fall. 

Deworming Agents:

Piperazine - Controls: Ascarids +++, Strangles +++ Comments: Used with BZD’s against resistant small strongyles.

Organophosphates (Dichlorvos & Trichlorfon) - Controls: (Dichlorvos) Bots ++++, Ascarids +++, Strongyles ++, Pinworm +++ (Trichlorfon) Bots ++++, Ascarids ++++, Pinworm ++++ Comments: All organophosphates, do not use past mid-pregnancy, do not use with insecticides or tranquilizers. Narrow margin of safety!

Carbamates (Pyrantel Pamoate & Pyrantel Tartrate) - Controls: (Pyrantel Pamoate) Habronema ++++, Ascarids ++++, Strongyles ++++, Tread ++++, Pinworm ++++, Tape ++ (Pyrantel Tartrate) Ascarids ++++, Strongyles ++++, Pinworm ++++ Comments: Safe and effective!

Benzimidazoles (aka BZD’s) (Thiabendazole, Cambendazole, Mebendazole, Febendazole, Oxfendazole, Oxibendazole, and Febantel (aka Pro-BZD)) - Controls: (Thiabendazole) Habronema +++, Ascarids ++, Strongyles ++++, Thread ++, Pinworm ++ (Cambendazole) Habronema ++++, Ascarids ++++, Strongyles ++++, Thread ++++, Pinworm ++++ (Mebendazole) Habronema ++, Ascarids ++++, Strongyles ++++, Thread ++, Pinworm ++++, Lungworms +++ (Febendazole) Habronema ++, Ascarids ++++, Strongyles ++++, Thread ++, Pinworm ++++ (Oxfendazole) Habronema ++++, Ascarids ++++, Strongyles ++++, Thread ++, Pinworm ++++ (Oxibendazole) Habronema ++++, Ascarids ++++, Strongyles ++++, Thread ++++, Pinworm ++++ (Febantel (aka Pro-BZD)) Habronema ++++, Ascarids ++++, Strongyles ++++, Thread +++, Pinworm ++++ Comments: All BZD’s, do not use during first 3 months of pregnancy. Resistant small Strongyles are an emerging problem.

Avermectins (Ivermectin) - Controls: Bots ++++, Habronema ++++, Ascarids ++++, Strongyles ++++, Thread ++++, Pinworm ++++, Lungworms ++++ Comments: Kills migrating larvae of most internal parasites. Broad spectrum. No resistance. Also effective against the filarial of Onchocerca, larvae of Habronema, and arterial larvae stages of Strongyles.

Key Code: ++++ Excellent, +++ Good, ++ Fair

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-02-25 8:05 AM (#56247 - in reply to #56055)

Expert

Good info!

mickiebon
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-25 8:48 AM (#56253 - in reply to #56247)

thanks! i use it as part of my free "basic horse care" pamphlet that i put together for the AQHA Horse Days at TSC and i give one to all new boarders and anybody else who asks for one.

notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-25 8:31 PM (#56288 - in reply to #56246)

Veteran

This would work in some areas but not all...for example here in North Texas we could never wait til july for ivermectin, all the horses would be "botty".  Also this is an older chart and doesn't reflect the new praziquantel dewormers, which should be used once a year, usually in the fall.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-02-25 11:27 PM (#56297 - in reply to #56233)

Extreme Veteran

I know nothing about daily wormers and was doing some research on them and I read an article about daily wormer's negative side effects including a much higher incidence of colic and hoof problems than in a 10-12 week paste worming cycle.  (I never heard of wormers being linked to hoof problems...)  I do not remember where I read it, but it was written by a vet.  The article also mentionted that you still need to use paste wormers when you use daily wormers, which surprised me.  I thought daily would be great for horses hard to paste, but apparently not since the daily wormers don't give the best coverage.  If I find the article, I'll provide the source.  My horse had a moderate case of strongids last year and my vet prescribed a Panacure Powerpak - 5 days in a row of double dose wormer - it burned the hide off his bottom by day 5 :(   That is powerful stuff for sure.

mickiebon
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-26 5:16 AM (#56299 - in reply to #56288)

yes, sorry about that, forgot to say i'm from Indiana and this is what most people around here use.  this chart is from 2005 if i remember correctly.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-02-26 5:55 AM (#56300 - in reply to #56055)

Expert

I use Quest instead of a five day power pack.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-26 8:19 AM (#56305 - in reply to #56055)

Expert

I've not had a colic since being on the daily wormer.  Knock on wood!  And funny enough, most of my hoof problems went away too.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-02-26 9:18 AM (#56313 - in reply to #56055)

Expert

Well I've only had a couple of colics in 20 odd years and it was not due to worms.The only hoof problems I've had in the same time period was due to breeding(genitics) and they had issues from the get go or bad farriers.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-26 4:39 PM (#56331 - in reply to #56055)

Expert

I have also used daily wormers without incident. There are many causes for colic and most cases are hard to pin down on anything.

Yippee Ki Yo
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-03-01 1:40 PM (#56575 - in reply to #56055)

This is my Vet's recommended schedule here in FLORIDA

February- Pyrantel Pamoate

April- Fenbendazole

June- Ivermectin or Moxidectin

August- Oxibendazole

October- Ivermectin & Praziquantel or Moxidectin & Praziquantel

December- Ivermectin or Moxidectin

He did mention he had a discussion with a University Florida Vet and they are finding problems with resistant but to get around it you need to have stool samples taken and tested every 2 months and worm based on what worms your horse has.

mickiebon
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-02 6:47 AM (#56616 - in reply to #56288)

this is what i have found out so far on Praziquantel if anybody wanted to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praziquantel

http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse_health_care/horse_dewormers.htm
"Double-dose Strongid and praziquantel will kill tapeworms. Horsemen rarely had to worry about tapeworms before ivermectin came into the picture. Tapeworms were usually only found in very young horses and were more prevalent in the wetter areas of the country. But tapes are on the rise because while ivermectin effectively eliminates other worms, it leaves the door wide open for tapes to infest the horse. Now there are products that combine ivermectin and praziquantel which are designed to kill all major equine parasites in one dose. If you choose to use Strongid to kill tapeworms, you will need to "double-dose" your horse. It is safe. However, read the label for weight and dosage. Most pastes, for instance, are for an 1,200-pound horse. So "double-dose" means two tubes of paste for the mature adult horse. However, a 500-pound pony would only need one full tube. If you suspect tapes, consult your veterinarian before administering treatment. He or she may recommend praziquantel."

Originally written by notfromtexas on 2007-02-25 8:31 PM

This would work in some areas but not all...for example here in North Texas we could never wait til july for ivermectin, all the horses would be "botty".  Also this is an older chart and doesn't reflect the new praziquantel dewormers, which should be used once a year, usually in the fall.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)