'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Am I doing this right?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-19 9:06 PM
3 replies, 2247 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-01-19 8:12 PM (#54123)
Subject: Am I doing this right?

Veteran

Well, I've had the insulation in my horse trailer for a few weeks now but have been too busy to give the trailer much attention lately.

Got into it tonight and noticed that it was quite cold inside.  Temps outside were about 40 degrees.  Had been running heat strip from the ceiling unit for awhile but it was still somewhat chilly to my skinny frame (read: no body fat--chill easily.)

Is this normal for just one layer of foamboard insulation?  Can I expect better insulating properties and warmth once I put up the furring strips, another layer of foamboard insulation, and the walls?

Update on vapor barrier: I'm thinking of foregoing any sort of vapor barrier, as 2 layers of insulation should do a fair job of keeping any cold air that seeps into the trailer at bay (there aren't many ways cold air can come in.)  I don't want to make things so tight behind the walls that moisture collects between the plastic and the first layer of insulation.

Anyway... just expected the trailer to stay warm better after a layer of insulation.

Thank you,

Mike

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-01-19 8:37 PM (#54126 - in reply to #54123)
Subject: RE: Am I doing this right?

Expert

I haven't used my heat  strip yet, but I've been told (and read on here) that they don't work well.  Another layer of insulation may help some, but that may be the best it can do.
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-19 8:46 PM (#54128 - in reply to #54123)

Extreme Veteran

Do you have the whole trailer insulated, or just the walls and the ceiling? The floor, bulkhead, and gooseneck floor should also be  insulated, as they are exposed to cold. As heat rises and cold stays at the floor level, the heat strip basically keeps the heat near the roof, and if the floor is not insulated, your feet are basically  in the same temperature as the outside air.
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-01-19 9:06 PM (#54130 - in reply to #54123)

Veteran

hello this may help if all else fells our old trailer was a steel 5'shortwall we added the insulation and real wood panel on walls added extra carpet on floors goose neck floor had carpet also anyway we would just put a little ceramic heat in there when the temps go cold and run the heat strip also.. i think the little heater did more than the heat strip did...good luck  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)