'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Removing mangers from an aluminum trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-11 12:07 PM
2 replies, 2847 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Latergator
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-10 3:43 AM (#53638)
Subject: Removing mangers from an aluminum trailer

New User

I've spent lots of hours window shopping for horse trailers here and decided to finally register so I can post on the message boards.

I have a 7'6" tall two-horse aluminum Featherlite bumper pull trailer with mangers.  My dilemma is that my trailer is too short for my very long 17 hand TB gelding.  It's tall enough for him, but his chest is against the mangers and his butt is against the butt bar.  I've only hauled him one time and he loaded, hauled and unloaded great.  But I wouldn't want him to have to haul too much being crammed in there.

Plan A:  I've been window shopping online for used Warmblood-size trailers (I prefer aluminum) and it looks like I could probably find a used one around $10,000.

Plan B:  I'm wondering if it would be possible to have the mangers removed and put in chest bars in their place, and maybe move the chest bars about six inches further than the front of the mangers were.

I really like my trailer, and am wondering if I could get it customized it to fit my horse without costing more than it's worth.  Is this a feasible idea?  My trailer is about 13 years old, in great shape, and I could probably easily get $5,000 for it. 

I would probably have Twin Cities Featherlite do the customization.

Any thoughts?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-10 7:11 AM (#53644 - in reply to #53638)
Subject: RE: Removing mangers from an aluminum trailer

Extreme Veteran

Even if you move the breastbar forward 6", you have not increase the length of the stall. You gave him more room for his body, but less room for his head and neck.  Sell your trailer, and buy a new one, you will be happier in a long run.

chawley
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2007-01-11 12:07 PM (#53708 - in reply to #53638)
Subject: RE: Removing mangers from an aluminum trailer

I had the same problem with my big TB. I ended up just buying another trailer. The market for used trailers (especially Featherlites) is fairly good. You'd probably get decent money for it to put towards the new trailer. I didn't want to spend the money, but it was either the trailer or the horse, and we know the ladder wasn't an option.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)