'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trail-Et Trailer Repair advice?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-11 7:44 PM
9 replies, 4786 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ChelseyMUOhio
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-23 9:00 AM (#52787)
Subject: Trail-Et Trailer Repair advice?

New User

I am looking at a 1984 Trailet 2 horse that needs quite a bit of work. My husband and I can't afford much, so we thought that we could fix this up and still have a nice trailer. Just need some advice, though.

I think I can get the trailer for $1400. The outside of the trailer is in decent shape, with the exception of a medium-size dent in the front. The floor is relatively new, but it needs a new board toward the front...just inside the escape doors. The tires are old, but serviceable.

The ramp and back doors work, but there's quite a bit of rust on the handles/hinges...so they will probably have to be sanded down.

The big problem is inside. The rear doors seem to have been left open quite a bit and there is a LOT of large, flaky rust inside on the sheet metal. It is bad to the extent that I think we should just replace the interior sheet metal. I am just worried that this might compromise the trailer structurally. It does not extend up past 2 feet or so from the back of the trailer.

From what I could see of the frame, it looked solid.

If there is this much rust at the back...is this trailer just a money pit? I have a pretty big TB/Oldenburg gelding... My husband and I don't want to put much more than 1000 into it at the trailer shop. Any advice would be REALLY APPRECIATED!

Edited by ChelseyMUOhio 2006-12-23 9:02 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-12-23 10:55 AM (#52790 - in reply to #52787)
Subject: RE: Trail-Et Trailer Repair advice?

Elite Veteran

I wonder why kind of shape the axles are in as well. Trailer tires get dry rot from the sun, not from miles driven so those will most likely need to be replaced as well.

I have seen several people buy a fixit up trailer for small dollars and then spend so much money to make the trailer safe that they could have bought a new or used one in great shape for the same amount of money or less. Plus you would still have an old trailer.

I really think you are better off finding a trailer in good shape and see if they will accept payments, or take out a small loan, etc. 

Edited by Dunoir 2006-12-23 10:56 AM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-12-23 10:26 PM (#52813 - in reply to #52787)

Expert

Ask the person you'll buy it from if they/you can take it down to a local trailer repair shop for estimates...I wouldn't buy anything that needed work without a legitimate estimate.  Things could snowball out of hand fast!
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-12-24 9:33 AM (#52821 - in reply to #52787)

Extreme Veteran

I just donated my 1984 Trailet to a votech because of similar rust damage. I had taken the trailer to the place I get all my work done and asked for a safety check. The didn't pass it -- it had no rust on the inside, but the metal was flaking away underneath on the frame like crushed soda crackers. They said all that was repairable, but if I had to have it done, it would cost more than a new trailer. I think 1400 for that trailer is way high with all you have described.

Check under the front area, under the aluminum. If it is flaking like described above, then you will have to cut off the top and completely redo the bottom. My floor in my trailer looked brand new (I had it replaced about ten years ago) and it was the only thing holding the frame of the trailer together. Under the tack compartment, the metal holding the wooden floor in place was almost flaked away. The frame is hard to see because in the wheel wells, there is aluminum over the frame and it looks hunky dory like all is well.

Also, ten years ago, I had the back end of the trailer completely redone on the frame .. the person who did it put in new metal because the ramp area was so weak.

Someone on the list several years ago bought a four horse that he actually did that, cut off the top. I don't think that thread is available any more, but it was a good one because he didn't check the trailer before he bought it and when he got it home, he found the damage.

If you research on this list, you can read what people suggested for my trailer.. it was "what to do with trailer past its prime" or you might be able to put in Key Words Trail-et.

Good luck, I wish I had the tools and skills to redo my old trailer, I loved it.

And remember, tires run about 4-500 and metal is expensive for replacement. You will have to take out the windows and make sure you don't damage them as they are not made any more. If I saw really bad rust, I would offer them a lot less. I checked to see how much my trailer was worth at scrap and it was about 140 bucks. FYI.

Jbsny
ChelseyMUOhio
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-24 10:39 AM (#52822 - in reply to #52787)

New User

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. I am kind of kicking myself now since I've already put down a deposit...I saw a cheap Trail-et (yea!)and didn't really think this through. Hopefully, the repair costs won't be as high as anticipated. I'm crossing my fingers that the frame is still solid.

Aghh...live and learn, I guess.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-12-24 9:48 PM (#52831 - in reply to #52787)

Expert

Walk away from your depost and chalk it up to learning a lesson!

Lose the deposit or the whole purchase price...

Ms Sharon Kay
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-26 9:12 AM (#52867 - in reply to #52822)

I agree w/ huntseat...WALK AWAY from your deposit. You love your horse...right? Keep him safe and your bank account from draining...look alittle longer, there are some great used trailers out there!
kathi
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-10 8:39 PM (#62103 - in reply to #52787)

New User

Hi, I have a great '90 Trail-et Westwind that I lost a top door in an accident.  I am looking for either one or both top doors. any ideas? called Trail-et, no luck. hopiong to find one somewhere. thanks Kathi
LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-06-10 10:48 PM (#62113 - in reply to #52787)

Regular

I recently bought a fixer upper trailer and ended up putting about $500.00 dollars into it, so for me it worked out well. My husband put in a new floor, new windows and and did a few other little things. We sent it to a fabrication shop to have the back doors remade, because of the same problem you have. That part cost us around $250.00, which I thought was very reasonable. It's just like having brand new doors.  The trailer looks great and is very sound. The only thing it really needs is a good paint job, which I'll get done in the Fall.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-06-11 7:44 PM (#62156 - in reply to #52822)

Expert

Well if you have a deposit on it, then you should tell the owner that you want to take it in for an inspection to see what you are really looking at in costs...If he says NO...then tell him you want your deposit back...you may be lucky...either you get your deposit back or you find that the trailer may not be that bad...

Good luck either way it turns out...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)