'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
converting stock trailer to slant?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-12-19 10:12 AM
4 replies, 10284 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

shorthorse
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-12-14 6:14 PM (#52508)
Subject: converting stock trailer to slant?

Hi!  I was wondering if this was possible....I'd like a 2 horse slant, but it seems like they're all longer than 13 ft; most are 14 ft or over.   I will mostly be hauling my 13 hand 800 lb pony, and occasionally a friend's 15 hand QH.   Would like somewhere to be able to put tack and a few necessaries (does not need to be fancy!) , and also want to be able to separate horses to some degree.  Not wild about straight loads; my horse will back out of one, but it's so much nicer to just turn him and walk him out.  I want to keep weight down due to older truck, but aluminum's out of budget.   I've seen some nice-looking galvanneal stock trailers out there, and was wondering how possible it might be just to partition off a little tack area in the nose of the trailer, and to add a slant type divider....Thanks in advance; I'm learning so much here!          Lisa

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Copper1272
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-12-14 9:49 PM (#52514 - in reply to #52508)
Subject: RE: converting stock trailer to slant?

Regular

I used to have an old 4 horse ponderosa bumper pull stock trailer I think it was a 16 foot length. I had a welder move the middle divider up near the escape door at a slant. I used the escape door as a tack room door and put a couple of metal saddle racks up there and some bridle hooks for my other stuff. It worked out great and cost me about 60.00 to have him move it. I think he quoted me about 150.00 for a divider for the horses. But it worked for me while I needed it.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-12-17 10:49 AM (#52572 - in reply to #52508)

Extreme Veteran

Check out Ox Bow Manufacturing. oxbowmfg.com. The make aluminum dividers that can do what you want. These can also be used to make a portable coral for camping. We used them for a portable corral for several years.
go2italy
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-12-19 10:02 AM (#52643 - in reply to #52508)

I asked a trailer dealer about this and he said that one shouldn't convert a straight load or a stock to a slant because of the way it's built to bear the load. Does this make sense?
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-12-19 10:12 AM (#52644 - in reply to #52508)

Extreme Veteran

look at some of the older Charmacs or Trails West steel trailers. They had the bumper pulls with the small tack in front without all the do das back then. There were 2 horse ones, under your scale your talking about, they are for sale out here in cali. all the time....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)