'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
5th wheel dangerous??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-12-18 5:50 PM
6 replies, 4197 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

CMules
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-03 6:04 PM (#52147)
Subject: 5th wheel dangerous??

New User

I'm thinking of trading in the BP for 5th wheel.  Recently I've heard they get stuck on RR tracks.  I've never thought of them as dangerous trailers before.  What gives?  Am I getting the straight scoop?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-12-03 6:14 PM (#52150 - in reply to #52147)
Subject: RE: 5th wheel dangerous??

Extreme Veteran

I assume you are talking about a GN horse trailer instead of a fifth wheel camper.  There have been cases where these trailers have gotten hung on a crossing where you had longer trailers.  However, as this has been discussed on here before, alot can be attributed to driver error.  I personally feel that the GN is more stable than a BP.  I have pulled both configurations each in many different lengths and the GN just felt more secure when there were larger loads hooked on to me.  You might try to search old forums on this topic of getting hung on a railroad track.  I know we have talked about it, just not sure what the topic was at the time.  In any case, it all comes down to the type trailer you are looking at and taking some common sense approaches to driving. 
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-12-03 10:56 PM (#52159 - in reply to #52147)

Expert

Originally written by CMules on 2006-12-03 5:04 PM

I'm thinking of trading in the BP for 5th wheel.  Recently I've heard they get stuck on RR tracks.  I've never thought of them as dangerous trailers before.  What gives?  Am I getting the straight scoop?

You're getting the straight scoop, but not all of it.  Any long trailer, GN or BP will have a problem with a RR track that is higher than the crossing roadway.  It is just that the longer and heavier trailers are usually a GN.  Ever see a 4 horse slant LQ BP trailer?  Too hard to keep balanced.

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-12-07 8:06 PM (#52298 - in reply to #52147)

Extreme Veteran

The issue on RR tacks and long gn trailers was on country side roads where they cross rr track that were a couple of feet higher than the road. A long, low-riding trailer can bottom out on the tracks leaving the rear wheels off the ground. Then you're stuck!

As mentioned, it's usually driver error. A very specific set of circumstances that occur to a driver who isn't paying attention. It's not something that would cause one to avoid a gn. A long low bp could have the same thing happen.
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-12-11 5:53 PM (#52432 - in reply to #52147)

Extreme Veteran

As said before, it could happen in the right circumstances if the driver isn't paying attention. I have a 32' with the axles at the very back of the trailer and have never had to cross RR tracks that would be a problem (I've trailered around 50k miles in the last 5 years alone). I do have to watch where I pull off the road like gas stations and when I stop someplace to eat or I could scrape my tanks off the bottom. I usually just stick to truck stops and resturants with large parking lots or Wal-Marts close to them.

Edited by greyhorse 2006-12-11 5:55 PM
CMules
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-17 7:02 AM (#52560 - in reply to #52147)

New User

Thanks for the insight.  Sounds like mostly driver error or oversight is causing the problems.  I think a GN is in my future.  Again, thanks for the help.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-12-18 5:50 PM (#52620 - in reply to #52560)

Expert

Not "dangerous" per se, but there is an additional potential hazard with high railroad beds.
USRider put out a "What do do when your trailer gets stuck on railroad tracks" article a while ago. Not the exact title, but close enough.
I reacted to it quite violently, my position being "It would be better to tell people how to NOT get stuck".

Last week I was searching for a barn on the WV/VA border and there it was, a high railroad bed - WITH an appropriate warning sign for low bed trailers. Hmmmm, this was somewhere I hadn't been before. The road was straight, there was NO traffic, so I got the trailer to the left side of the road early so that I could cross back to the right and do the actual crossing while turning slightly. The trick here was to aim my driver side powerview mirror down enough to watch the underbelly of the trailer as I CREPT across the tracks. I had the window down so I could also listen for anything touching. All was well, it cleared.
I think this is the best way I know how to do it, but I'd like to hear from anyone who disagrees.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)