'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Tire Plot Thickens!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-19 3:33 PM
7 replies, 3705 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-11-13 5:35 PM (#51434)
Subject: Trailer Tire Plot Thickens!!

Elite Veteran

Not a good day. . .  Dragged the BAT (B=Big, A=Ass, T=Trailer) to my local tire guy.  Gave him the heads up before I came so he could jockey some cars around so I could get in.  Almost smashed some idiot who tried to pass me on the right, while I was turning right, with my right turn signal on!  Turn signals are an option in Alabama.  Spare tire is worthless, lump in one spot, flat on another spot, ALREADY HAD A PLUG IN IT!!!  BRAND NEW TIRE FROM MANUFACTURER!!!  So that makes tire purchase #2.  So while I'm there, he runs his hands over the other tires, and says "this is not good".  "Well of course it's not good, why would it be good??  It's me after all!" I said with close to a tear in my eye!  Right rear tire has bad tire wear on the outside of the tread.  Now I may not have explained that right, but the outside tread is worn flat!!  What's that from??  Maybe not being balanced??  So here we go with tire purchase #3.  This trailer has 3k miles on it!!  short pause              Just went and picked up the BAT.  $338 dollars poorer.  So I ask the man "Why the wear on the outside of the tire?" They checked all there was to check.  He said from making tight turns.  I don't know if that's it or not.  I do have to make pretty sharp turns to get this thing down my street and into the driveway.  Could it be??  It's always something!!  Oh yeah, had to air up the pretty Conversion Van so I could also take it to the "man" to get it fixed.  Just leaking around the rim. No charge.  Oh but how could I forget.  Lawn tractor==== back tires have air, FRONT TIRE FLAT!!!

I'm going to bed now

Where can I get some iron wheels??

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-11-13 8:49 PM (#51439 - in reply to #51434)
Subject: RE: Trailer Tire Plot Thickens!!

Expert

I'd think axle alignment.
There's a procedure in the Dexter manual, probably takes an hour or two with a chalk line, but I think they specify an accuracy of 1/8 inch, so be CAREFUL to drop those marks vertically onto a good flat surface and measure accurately. Chalk line probably isn't accurate enough.

I've done a few cross country trips on the same set of tires and I have done quite a few spin turns on concrete and blacktop. EVERY TIME that I park it at home I have to spin it in because of the narrow road that I live on. I hate the sight in the mirror of those tires squirming, but when I gotta turn I just gotta turn.
So no, I don't believe it is the tight turns.
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-11-14 9:48 AM (#51455 - in reply to #51434)

Veteran

Wow - sorry to hear about your ongoing tire problems.  This is the worst stretch of luck for tires that I've ever heard of.

Regarding your statement that signals are optional in Alabama, that may be so, but they've yet to be discovered here in Connecticut. 

klthechiro
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-11-14 11:22 AM (#51458 - in reply to #51434)

Regular

klthechiro
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-11-14 11:23 AM (#51459 - in reply to #51434)

Regular

A friend of mine had that problem and his axiles needed to be aligned.
cowby
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-11-19 11:38 AM (#51679 - in reply to #51434)

If the trailer has torsion axles it will do it until it's in the scrap pile.  When the axles get welded they are off a fraction, so that's why the wear. Out of 4 tires on our trailer one does the same thing. As far as the the tire dealer not knowing, that should be a red flag. 

As far as a new tire for a spare, I buy a used tire or use one of the old ones that's being replaced. I belive the spare is to get you from where you had the flat to the next place you can get it fixed, not left on for weeks of use.

Right turns will wear out the tires faster than going strait down the road, but unless your going around the world to the right, I wouldn't worry.

I've had luck with drilling 1/4 inch holes in the center of the lawn tractor tires, about 4 or 6 holes, then using spray foam to fill the tires. Let it setup for a couple of days. Has worked so far. But make sure you don't put them on too soon or else they will have flat spots.LOL Like riding a constant washboard road. Now I wouldn't do this to new tires, just the old ones that are all but shot. Once you foam them, it's knife time to get them off!!

Hope this helps...

Cowby

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-11-19 2:33 PM (#51689 - in reply to #51679)

Extreme Veteran

If the trailer has torsion axles it will do it until it's in the scrap pile.  When the axles get welded they are off a fraction, so that's why the wear. Out of 4 tires on our trailer one does the same thing. As far as the the tire dealer not knowing, that should be a red flag. 

If torsions axles are welded on, how do the dealers take them off to block them?  I didn't think torsions were welded on....

Jbsny

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-11-19 3:33 PM (#51690 - in reply to #51689)

Extreme Veteran

What kind of trailer is this anyway? Some smaller mfg. will buy used tires to put on trailers my old next door neighbor used to sell them to steel trailer mfg. firms. He went to junk yards and bought them off wrecked cars and sold them that sounds strange that a spare that has never been on ground has a plug??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)