'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
horse trailer battery charge

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-10-02 9:00 AM
9 replies, 12764 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 10:57 PM (#49263)
Subject: horse trailer battery charge

Veteran

hello i was wondering if someone can shed some light on this for me.. i have a 05  cimmeron norstar living quarters by trail boss... there are two marine batterys in front of trailer which are in a box..in between the two batterys is a dial that points to one side or the other and than at the bottom it says both.. the way it was explained to me from who i purchased it was both of course means both batterys and the left side is left battery only and right is right battery only.. the living quarters will run on elect first always and if there is no elect current it will go to batterys (like refrig some lights water pump)) if left on both they are charging when elect is plugged in.. now my question first is all this information true second do you ever have to take the batterys out and have them charged... the trailer is plugged in most the time except in travel..can someone please explain how all this works  thanks so much for any input... i would guess the hydraulic jack runs strictly from the battery sure dont want to have to crank this monster sometime.. thanks  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-28 5:28 AM (#49267 - in reply to #49263)
Subject: RE: horse trailer battery charge

Elite Veteran

I believe all your info is correct. One thing to add is the batteries are probably charging while you are towing as well.  If not, you can have the plug checked on your truck for a 12V power supply and have the trailer plug matched to that pin so that you can charge batteries while towing.

One other point; I take my batteries out in the winter and put them on a trickle charge to keep them warm and to keep them charged up. A dead battery can freeze if it gets cold enough. I take them out and put them in the shop on the bench. I put them back in when we are ready to use the trailer again in Spring.

Happy trails.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-28 7:38 AM (#49280 - in reply to #49263)

Expert

Yes, thats pretty much it.
If you want them to both charge while you're travelling the switch needs to be in the "Both" position.
Also, beware overcharging. A large marine battery may have a rated capacity of 125 Ampere hours, at a 20 hour charge rate that would take little more than 6 hours to fully charge it, so don't leave it on charge at 10 amps for weeks or even days.
Pleasure Man
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-28 4:44 PM (#49307 - in reply to #49280)

Reg,

Maybe you can answer my question.  I just had the power converter replaced in my trailer.  Service said it was not charging my batteries correctly.  Warranty issue.  My trailer stays plugged in at home.  It has been a week since the converter was replaced.  I just noticed that the "white battery corrosion" stuff was leaking out of the battery boxes and collecting on trailer.  It is aluminum.  I also noticed a slight "cooking sound" coming from the batteries.  I switched the battery disconnect switch to off and the "cooking" stopped.  Have I burned my batteries with my "correctly working" converter?  Should you always keep your battery disconnect switch "off" when you have your trailer plugged in for extended periods of time?  Did the service tech add too much water when he checked the batteries last week? 

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-28 8:04 PM (#49311 - in reply to #49263)

Veteran

I guess those are the same questions that I have. My batteries under the gooseneck just have a switch that is on or off. So if I have the trailer plugged in while parked at my home, I should only leave the batteries switched on for a few hours and then switch them off. If I leave them on the trailer in the winter, should I turn the batteries on every few days for a few hours? When I am traveling down the road should the batteries be switched on or off?
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-09-28 10:53 PM (#49313 - in reply to #49263)

Extreme Veteran

Hey guys read this thread....

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=5774&posts=6

Basicly the RV chargers are not for maintaining batteries properly they tend to cook em! I would plug in the charger once every 2 weeks or so for a day in the winter or maybe a timer for an hour a day....it is better than leaving it plugged in all the time.......A volt meter is a handy tool to tell what the condition is of the batteries...they make small chargers that are designed to maintain the batteries without overcharging "Battery Tender" makes a good one for all size batteries....you can plug them in and forget it...Note:use baking soda to nuetralize any acid on your trailer.

Leave them (the batteries) on while driving...the auto charging system is a better charging system than the RV charger... 

Edited by xyzer 2006-09-28 11:35 PM
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-29 6:44 AM (#49322 - in reply to #49307)

Elite Veteran

Pleasure Man, the first thing I'd do is take the trailer back to the dealer and show them what has happened! Don't forget to take some photos before everything is cleaned up either. You might need them in the future.

The converter, charger, power inverter or whatever you want to call the unit in your trailer that makes some noise when it's charging your batteries is cooking your batteries. You already know that. The technician probably did this: checked the unit and it wasn't working, pulled it out, put a new one in, listened for it to start humming or making noise, buttoned everything up and  said, "o.k. sir, all done." The last thing he should have done was put a volt meter/amp meter on the batteries to make sure he was done.

Happy trails.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-01 11:38 AM (#49469 - in reply to #49307)

Expert

Originally written by Pleasure Man on 2006-09-28 4:44 PM

Reg,

Maybe you can answer my question. I just had the power converter replaced in my trailer. Service said it was not charging my batteries correctly. Warranty issue. My trailer stays plugged in at home. It has been a week since the converter was replaced. I just noticed that the "white battery corrosion" stuff was leaking out of the battery boxes and collecting on trailer. It is aluminum. I also noticed a slight "cooking sound" coming from the batteries. I switched the battery disconnect switch to off and the "cooking" stopped. Have I burned my batteries with my "correctly working" converter? Should you always keep your battery disconnect switch "off" when you have your trailer plugged in for extended periods of time? Did the service tech add too much water when he checked the batteries last week?

Lets see if I can get this right - THIS time.

Leaving chargers connected for more than ONE overnight will generally overcharge batteries. This doesn't apply to the various "trickle chargers", though they have a different problem sometimes described as plate glazing. There are also battery minders that taper the charge way down as the battery approaches full charge... I don't have an opinion on those, since I've never had to use one.

Once a month "overnight", probably less, is ADEQUATE charging.

Discharged batteries have low acid levels, charged batteries have higher acid levels, from this it follows that topping up a discharged battery and then charging it will cause overflow, leading to acid spills, white aluminum salts, etc.

The "cooking sound" is due to the formation and escape of oxygen and hydrogen bubbles, it is normal at charge rates over about 10 amps. If your batteries are already fully or over charged it is a bad sound to have around.

I don't know what the specs or claims are for your power converter.
If it is an expensive, full function, top o' the line one it MIGHT act as a battery minder and "do the right thing" with respect to charge rate and overcharging.
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-10-01 3:40 PM (#49473 - in reply to #49263)

Veteran

So, I have 2 batteries under my gooseneck and they have a switch that says on and off. While I am traveling I should leave it in the on position. Once I get to the camping area and plug into electric, I need to turn them to the off position. At home, I will leave them in the on position and then plug my trailer in once a month for overnight. 

Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-10-02 9:00 AM (#49493 - in reply to #49313)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by xyzer on 2006-09-28 10:53 PM

they make small chargers that are designed to maintain the batteries without overcharging "Battery Tender" makes a good one for all size batteries....you can plug them in and forget it...

Thanks for the info!  Buying one now...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)