'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Portable Corral Questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-26 8:11 PM
8 replies, 4878 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dixieEQ
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-25 9:18 AM (#49083)
Subject: Portable Corral Questions

New User

I am going to the American Heart Association ride at Myrtle Beach SC in November.  I have no problem, and would prefer, tying my horse to a high line, however, I'm not sure if I will have access to trees at my campsite.  I am looking into putting together an electric portable corral just in case. 

My questions are: 

What type charger should I use? 

What about a ground rod? 

What type rod should it be? 

How long?

I don't want to have to buy one of those pre-packaged deals because I may never use it again. 

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-25 12:13 PM (#49089 - in reply to #49083)
Subject: RE: Portable Corral Questions

Veteran

You might want to call Lakewood Campground to see what they will allow before you buy a bunch of stuff. They do not normally allow horses to be camped in that area except on that special occasion.

Happy riding. We drive down several times during the allowed season to ride at Myrtle Beach. So beautiful!
dixieEQ
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-25 12:27 PM (#49091 - in reply to #49083)

New User

The annual American Heart Association Ride is the only time that horses are allowed at Lakewood Campground.  You can tie your horse to the trailer (which I don't want to do), tie to a picket/high line, or corral.  The campground does not have specific facilities for horses.

I thought about calling down and asking about the trees on my campsite but figured they wouldn't be able to tell me the exact proxemity of trees in relation to my trailer.  Therefore, even if there are trees on my site, I wouldn't know whether they would be on opposite sides of my trailer, how far apart, or whether they'd even be big enough to use.

I, too, have rode at Myrtle Beach numerous times but this is the first time I've joined in the AHA ride.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-09-25 12:36 PM (#49092 - in reply to #49083)

Extreme Veteran

I put together a electric pen for my horses. I got the Yellow Jacket Fencer ($76.96 at Valley Vet)runs on D-Cell batteries. I had some electric fence tape around, got a cheap extention cord holder for the fence tape, and some step in poles from Tractor Supply. Put it all in a snow ski bag that I never used any more. I use a 3 foot T-post for the ground and it works fine and is easy to get in & out of the ground, also got that at Tractor Supply. I sanded some paint off the T-post so it could make good contact w/the ground.
-Betty
dixieEQ
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-25 1:13 PM (#49093 - in reply to #49092)

New User

How far in the ground did you drive that t-post/ground rod? 

You've done pretty much what I want to do . . . use the stuff I've already got on hand.  The charger was the only thing I was unsure of, especially the ground rod.

I'd prefer to just use the picket line but figured I'd be prepared for the temporary corral option.

Thanks

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-09-25 2:43 PM (#49099 - in reply to #49083)

Extreme Veteran

I just use the step-in post closest to the charger as the ground rod.  (The post is metal, with an insulating coating at the top for the wire/tape.)  Mine doesn't go in the ground more than 8 inches or so.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-09-25 4:38 PM (#49107 - in reply to #49093)

Extreme Veteran

I just put the T-post that I use for a ground rod into the ground so that the "butterfly wings" are covered by the ground. The ground has been pretty (really) dry when I've used it, and it seems to work. If your using a metal posts for your wire, you could use that too. I use the T-post to hold the charger also. You just need some metal stuck in the ground. If you have problem with the ground, just throw some water on the ground around your grounding rod.

-Betty
dixieEQ
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-26 12:12 PM (#49144 - in reply to #49083)

New User

Thanks, y'all.  That's what I needed to know.

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-26 8:11 PM (#49168 - in reply to #49144)

Extreme Veteran

You can call Lakewood and speak to I think it is Mary Kate  and she can tell you if there are treew on the site. I usually rent two sites one for my trailer and one for my horses. If you put them on a high line you still have to have a hot wire around them if you plan to leave the site . We high line and put a fake hot wire around the horses. But we stay at sites with trees. Been going about 6 years. Great fun!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)