'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
max trailer length for campgrounds - trail riding

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-27 4:40 PM
18 replies, 4085 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tacklam
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-25 10:56 AM (#47383)
Subject: max trailer length for campgrounds - trail riding

In the market for a new trailer. Want the LQ as big as possible, but also want to be able to camp at National & State forest campgrounds. Planning to occasionally take the trailer to campgrounds w/o the horses for just plain camping w/ kids. Have a Sport Chassis to pull it... Does anyone know the box length limits?

Thanks in adavance.
Tom
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-25 11:00 AM (#47385 - in reply to #47383)
Subject: RE: max trailer length for campgrounds - trail riding

Elite Veteran

Some say 40 ft.
tacklam
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-25 11:05 AM (#47387 - in reply to #47385)

Originally written by SLICKRNSNOT on 2006-08-25 11:00 AM

Some say 40 ft.

Thx - is that 40ft box or 40ft including the gooseneck?
Tom
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-25 11:16 AM (#47392 - in reply to #47383)

Elite Veteran

Not sure just say 40 foot.

I assume it is the box.Most places I have stayed are more than long enough,some are just set up with too sharp a turn.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-08-25 11:36 AM (#47398 - in reply to #47383)

Expert

These campgrounds are set up for campers with the axles set back just past the center of the box. Your horse trailers have the axles waaaaay back toward the rear, makes for some really tight situations getting in and out of some parks when the park is about full. My trailer has a 25' box length and a total of 33'. Went to the coast/beach  last year and thought I was going to need a new set of front tires on the truck before I ever did get the trailer lined up in the space, pull up, back up, pull up, back up etc. No drive through, had to pinch and wedge it into the space. Mrs. Smarta$$ said "our vacation will be over before you get the trailer in the slot" And that was what it was, a slot! Next time I'll take some tin and a pale of chassis of grease, drop the trailer on the greased tin, hook the truck to the trailer frame and drag it in sideways. Maybe if I prayed hard enough, God would miracle it in for me!! I won't be going back to that campground..........Unless "SHE" wants to!!
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-25 11:54 AM (#47402 - in reply to #47383)

Elite Veteran

I have been known to park the truck toss a saddle on the old horse and ride in to check the park before commiting myself (nut house) or dropping the trailer and driving thru.

Went to one that I was glad i had 4x4 steep hill caused every nook and cranny on the truck to empty out....wondered where that was ? been lookin for that ...mmm... anyway that was steep!!one guy lost his tailgate,2 bales of hay and a 3/4 drive socket set.

tacklam
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-25 11:55 AM (#47403 - in reply to #47398)

Thx for the input. We live just outside of Charlotte and typically camp & ride in NC's Western mtns. We've enjoyed a few campsites where you had some privacy and nature surrounding you (no hookups) and my wife *almost* enjoys camping. We've also camped at the parking lot style campgrounds w/ hookups (Blowing Rock EQ Preserve)and my wife won't return (loves the trails, hates the campground). Thus, I'm looking to get a larger LQ that has holds an extra 90 gallons of H2O in roofpod and can keep the 4 of us happy / comfy in the nicer campsites. I was also hoping to someday camp / ride at Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, etc, etc. Maybe it's a pipe dream to be able to camp in non parking lot settings w/ a large LQ.

Am I correct in my guess that all of those 17+ ft 4 horse LQs are used for horse shows & rodeos were they stay in a parking lot? I'm not into hurry up & wait so I have no idea what the shows / rodeos are like.

Thx
Tom
MichaelD
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-25 12:12 PM (#47405 - in reply to #47383)

Regular

We bought our trailer almost three years ago and I followed some advice from some people that have camped in close to 20 states.Our trailer is a 4H and is 25' on the floor.Apparently(sp) when you go much longer some of the winding and narrow mountain rodes are very difficult to traverse.Our trailer has an 8'SW the next one will be just slightly longer and with a slideout.I don't think I would want to go more than 28-30' on the floor in any case.So far at 25' we haven't had any problems other than getting in and out of fast food places or smaller gas stations that advertise diesel and have NO room for a trailer.

Mike

kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-08-25 12:17 PM (#47406 - in reply to #47383)

I would not exceed 25 feet for love nor money. there are too many tricky tight turns, turns onto narrow bridges, etc with no wiggle or swing room. My current trailer is 20' long and no way I'd go longer than 25'. Those fancy lonnnnng rigs aren't getting into the campsites you're looking for- they are going to the show.
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-08-25 1:19 PM (#47407 - in reply to #47383)

Veteran

I can tell you from personal experience:  in the Teton Wilderness, out Pacific Crk trailhead, you would have no problems parking the trailer anywhere, HOWEVER, the long, slow driving road out to it is rough...& I'd venture a bet you wouldn't make it up the one hill w/a trailer as long as you are talking!   You'd most likely have to unload & *proceed* very carefully to make the climb (even w/4x4) & make the turn.  I did out there in '99 w/a 4H 4Star, 29' on the ground, but it was a very tough go....& I made it up the hill w/o unloading, but only had 2 horses in it.
bcranch
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2006-08-25 2:47 PM (#47418 - in reply to #47383)

We had a 3H-10LQ with a dully we have been camping all across the country with no problems. We now have 4H-14LQ and also an M2. Trailer is 39 total length but with this truck you will have no problems as the turning radius is much-much better than any dully. But it is a good idea to inspect campgrounds before turning in just to be safe especialy when it is a National Forest campground. With this truck we can make U-turns that we never could with the previous setup.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-25 4:10 PM (#47421 - in reply to #47407)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by AbbyB on 2006-08-25 11:19 AM

I can tell you from personal experience:  in the Teton Wilderness, out Pacific Crk trailhead, you would have no problems parking the trailer anywhere, HOWEVER, the long, slow driving road out to it is rough...& I'd venture a bet you wouldn't make it up the one hill w/a trailer as long as you are talking!   You'd most likely have to unload & *proceed* very carefully to make the climb (even w/4x4) & make the turn.  I did out there in '99 w/a 4H 4Star, 29' on the ground, but it was a very tough go....& I made it up the hill w/o unloading, but only had 2 horses in it.

Went up that hill...dually in 4x4 low range....three horses hooked on front bumper pulling...my left foot out the door pushin....wife back of the trailer pushin...pedal to the metal....made it...wife didn't like the view.(after she got out from behind the trailer)

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-08-25 5:15 PM (#47425 - in reply to #47421)

Extreme Veteran

To me 26 to 28 ft on the Box . You can get in most places with out much trouble Had one that was 37 ft on box and it was too long to fool with. Had to be careful where you fueled up. Had another that was 21  and you could go anywhere with it.

Summit2
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-08-25 5:41 PM (#47427 - in reply to #47383)

We have a 40' (overall length) 4H LQ trailer and our shows are at places where one just parks in a field or finds room in sort of cleared out areas amongst the trees.  We were in the interior of British Columbia and it took my husband over an hour to manoeuvre the trailer into one of the last available spots (the owner of the property actually had to cut a couple of trees down for us).  On leaving he didn't have the room to manouevre the truck to get the back of the trailer out, so down came some more trees to get out going forward.  The trees are infested with the pine beetle so were dying anways.  We've always wondered when looking at the really big really expensive trailers for sale where they manage to park these things. Don't know what the maxium length here in Canada is for campgrounds.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-08-25 5:52 PM (#47428 - in reply to #47383)

Expert

I don't know the rules for campgrounds.  But I tow into some pretty remote trail heads. My trailer has a 24' box which is all I want.  In a couple of trail heads I've had trouble getting turned around at the turn around loop . If they build anything in the center and expect you to drive around it.

Two friends both have 28 foot box trailers and they get into Grand Teton, Turpin Meadows,  Bryce canyon and other places OK. But I'd really hate to get that big of a trailer down some forest service roads.

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-08-25 6:50 PM (#47430 - in reply to #47383)

Veteran

I too live in the Charlotte area.  My favorite place to camp and ride is Cataloochee in the SMokies.  We have had a 26ft box 7 wide with a super cab pulling it in there.  I would hate to go bigger. 

Have you been to Iron Mountain in Ivanhoe VA?  How about Uwharrie or Croft?  Iron mountain has great trails and a great campground with a great owner.  go online and check it out  ironmthorsecamp.com

What breed of horses do you have.  There is a NC TWH group that goes on a lot of rides in NC, TN. 

Good luck.  I don't think you would ever need 90 gallons of water.  You just need to learn how to conserve it. 

JimA
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-25 7:59 PM (#47434 - in reply to #47383)

Trailers are legal to 53ft. unless the road is posted otherwise. Bigest problem with a long rig getting high centered. I try to call ahead ,most campgrounds have sites for larger rigs.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-08-27 4:14 PM (#47480 - in reply to #47383)

sable812 said a mouthfull about Cataloochee. We pulled a 3 horse with 8 foot short wall 7 wide, 7 and half tall into and out of there with a Dodge 3500 dually. The campgound was fine but those roads!!!!!!!!!!!
An 8 foot short wall is quite nice if you have a slide. The friends we were with pulled a 10 foot short wall 3 horse 8 wide into and out of Cataloochee; and I think anything any larger could not have gotten in.
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-08-27 4:40 PM (#47482 - in reply to #47383)

Veteran

Cataloochee is goregous and worth the trip too.  It is my favorite place to ride. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)