'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
FAQ about ULSD from Cummins

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-17 8:33 AM
19 replies, 4569 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-10 8:31 PM (#46366)
Subject: FAQ about ULSD from Cummins

Elite Veteran

Do You Have Questions About The New ULSD Fuel?
This fall Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel will hit the pumps. Here are some frequently asked questions about the new fuel and what it means for your Cummins-powered Dodge Ram.

What Is ULSD?
ULSD stands for "Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel." ULSD is a refined diesel fuel that has dramatically lower sulfur content compared to traditional on-highway diesel fuel. Current on-highway diesel is sometimes called "Low Sulfur Diesel" (LSD). The maximum concentration of sulfur allowed in "low sulfur" fuel is 500 parts per million (ppm). This limit was mandated by the government in 1993. For ULSD, the maximum concentration of sulfur allowed is only 15 ppm, a 97% reduction in sulfur content.

The lower sulfur content of ULSD means fewer sulfate emissions. It also enables the use of emissions reduction equipment such as particulate filters and catalytic converters to lower emissions of Particulate Matter (PM) and Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx). These systems, together with Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel, can reduce emissions of fine particulates by more than 90 percent and emissions of hydrocarbons to nearly undetectable levels.

Why Is The EPA Driving The Introduction Of ULSD?
ULSD was mandated by EPA as part of the 2007-2010 emissions regulations for heavy-duty engines. It is considered a "technology enabler," allowing the use of catalyst-based emission technologies on MY2007 and later heavy-duty engines, as well as on Tier 2-compliant light-duty diesel vehicles. In other words, the 2007 emissions regulations on diesel engines are driving the use of catalyst-based emission control devices, such as diesel particulate filters and NOx adsorbers. These devices are sensitive to sulfur, so the EPA is changing the on-highway diesel fuel regulations to lower the sulfur content in diesel fuel prior to the emissions regulations going into effect.

When Will ULSD Be Available?
The ULSD implementation schedule is as follows:
June 2006: Refinery level and importers.
September 2006: Terminal level (downstream of the refinery/importer, except for retail outlets and wholesale consumers)
October 15, 2006: Retail level (including wholesale consumers)

All major truck stops and over 95% of all on-road diesel fuel retailers are expected to meet the 15-ppm ULSD standard by October 15, 2006, and most locations will only carry ULSD. At locations which carry both LSD and ULSD, the fuel pumps will be clearly labeled.

Because the task of changing all the diesel fuel in the U.S. on-highway distribution system is complex, and there are multiple flexibility provisions in the mandated schedule, it is not possible to predict precisely when ULSD will become available at the retail level for a given location.

ULSD fuel is backwards compatible, and can be used in all engines.

What Can I Expect With Regards To Maintenance And Fuel Economy?
In general, the processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also reduces the aromatics content and density of diesel fuel, resulting in a slight reduction in energy content (BTU/gal). The expected reduction in energy content is only approximately 1%.

No impact to fuel filter service intervals is expected.

The same water-drain maintenance practices that are currently followed for fuel filters should also be continued.

A new CI-4 engine oil is being introduced, with a new formulation designed specifically to work with ULSD fuel. If you run with a pre-2007 engine oil (such as CH-4) and ULSD fuel, you will have to modify your oil change schedule.

©2006 Cummins Inc., Direct Marketing, Mail Code 60610, 500 Jackson Street, Columbus, IN 47201 U.S.A.

picture
picture
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-10 8:33 PM (#46367 - in reply to #46366)
Subject: RE: FAQ about ULSD from Cummins

Elite Veteran

Info about bio diesel from Cummins

http://list.priceweber.com/cummins/td/bio_leadership.htmlout Bio diesel

New Guidelines For Biodiesel Fuel For 2007 Dodge Ram.
According to DaimlerChrysler and Cummins, diesel-fueled vehicles can be safely operated on up to 5% biofuel blended in with conventional diesel. DaimlerChrysler's recommendations state that the biofuel portion of the blend (5%) should meet the requirements of ASTM D6751, and the petroleum diesel portion of the blend (95%) should meet ASTM D975. Pure biodiesel (100% biofuel) is not recommended.

However, earlier this year DaimlerChrysler also approved the use of B20 biodiesel fuel in its 2007 model year Dodge Ram pickup trucks, but only in certain applications. B20 is a blend of 20-percent biofuel and 80-percent regular diesel fuel. Currently, the B20 blend is only approved for government, military and commercial vehicle use. The approval applies to biodiesel fuel that meets the fuel specifications established by the United States military, which requires the fuel be used within six months of delivery. DaimlerChrysler is the first U.S. automaker to specifically approve the use of B20 in its warranty statements.

DaimlerChrysler and Cummins are working with the government, automotive suppliers, energy providers, universities and independent agencies on a national standard that could make B20 an option for all Dodge Ram diesel owners.

©2006 Cummins Inc., Direct Marketing, Mail Code 60610, 500 Jackson Street, Columbus, IN 47201 U.S.A.

picture
picture

Edited by SLICKRNSNOT 2006-08-10 8:39 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-12 6:37 AM (#46447 - in reply to #46366)

Expert

Thanks for posting that.
Just a couple of comments;

1) It doesn't address the questions of the general form,
"What will ULSD do in my older diesel engine ?"
"Will I need supplemental fuel additives to replace the lubricant properties of the reduced sulphur ?"

2) The bio diesel section is political, I resent that.
Not your fault, I just resent DaimChryco perpetuating the myth that diesels "need" at least 80% mineral oil.
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-12 10:39 AM (#46454 - in reply to #46447)

Veteran

I've been surfing around about info on ULSD.  There's ton's of information.  Some of it is very clear, other comments seem a little confusing.  I pulled this from the Chevron website:

"Will S15 (ULSD) affect my fuel system seals?

The "Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance," an industry group consisting of oil and gas producers, engine manufacturers, the American Petroleum Institute (API) and others, states that "engine and vehicle manufacturers are not anticipating that existing [diesel engine] owners will have to make changes to their equipment to operate [on] the new fuel.

A small number of vehicles may require preventative maintenance in the form of upgrading certain engine and fuel system seals that may not perform well in the transition to the new fuel and could leak. Studies of test fleets have indicated that fuel system leaks are not exclusive to a particular engine type, fuel type or geographic region. It is anticipated that only a small fraction of the vehicles will be affected."

A leak in your fuel system can be dangerous, potentially causing fires to occur if diesel fuel comes in contact with hot engine parts. It is recommended that you consult with your vehicle manufacturer for advice about maintaining or replacing the fuel system seals in your vehicle."

Regarding the "lubricity" of the fuel: The Chevron site (and others) seem to imply that the process of reducing the sulphur to these new, lower levels also reduces the lubricity of the fuel and that there are lubricants added back in. For anyone interested in the details a Google on ULSD or Ultra Low Suphur Diesel will bring up lots of technical reading.

Edited by arroyoseccofarm 2006-08-12 10:45 AM
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-12 10:52 AM (#46456 - in reply to #46447)

Veteran

Reg,

re:  "I just resent DaimChryco perpetuating the myth that diesels "need" at least 80% mineral oil."

I too am a fan of biodiesel.  GM says that I am only to use a 5% biodiesel blend. Of course I am afraid of using a higher blend because of my fear of warranty issues.  If there really isn't a reason to avoid higher blends why don't the biodiesel suppliers warranty it?  Just a thought . . .

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-12 12:23 PM (#46460 - in reply to #46456)

Expert

Originally written by arroyoseccofarm on 2006-08-12 10:52 AM

Reg,

re: "I just resent DaimChryco perpetuating the myth that diesels "need" at least 80% mineral oil."

I too am a fan of biodiesel. GM says that I am only to use a 5% biodiesel blend. Of course I am afraid of using a higher blend because of my fear of warranty issues. If there really isn't a reason to avoid higher blends why don't the biodiesel suppliers warranty it? Just a thought . . .

There are a couple of problems with that - as a bio diesel producer I wouldn't write a warranty extension for a fuel system I hadn't produced, especially if there was evidence that the people who had built it had used bio-d soluble seals (-:
I see it as a parallel to the 60 year DuPont/GM hoax that we "needed" lead in gasoline. 100% bio-diesel is harmless, has NO sulphur, HAS the lubricity, etc.
The BIG BUT is that the oil companies dislike it, & all it's implications.
See DaimChryco's inclusion of "energy suppliers" in their list of groups they are 'working with' - yeah, right (-:

Edited by Reg 2006-08-12 4:39 PM
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-12 7:26 PM (#46478 - in reply to #46366)

Elite Veteran

I sometimes think even the manufacturers don't know the answers.

i was looking at the Motorcraft additive and it list KEROSENE as one of the ingrediants.

MMMMMMM maybe a snort of WD 40 would work just as well.... I wonder since it is highly refined kerosene.

I hear one factor with ULSD is its ability to clean rust and dirt out of older systems and this is what causes problems.....course thats just what iI hear no facts to back it up.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-12 8:41 PM (#46480 - in reply to #46478)

Expert

Originally written by SLICKRNSNOT on 2006-08-12 7:26 PM

I sometimes think even the manufacturers don't know the answers.

i was looking at the Motorcraft additive and it list KEROSENE as one of the ingrediants.

MMMMMMM maybe a snort of WD 40 would work just as well.... I wonder since it is highly refined kerosene.

I hear one factor with ULSD is its ability to clean rust and dirt out of older systems and this is what causes problems.....course thats just what iI hear no facts to back it up.

I read that about bio-diesel a while ago.
As I remember it, if you have 50,000 or so miles on a diesel vehicle and you switch to 100% bio-d you can EXPECT your fuel filter to clog as the first tank of B-D cleans out the crud, you might go 3 or 4 fills to the next filter change and it stretches out from there as your tank gets cleaned out. The moral seems to be to always have a replacement filter in the truck and the tools to change it at the roadside if necessary. I have those anyway.
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-08-14 8:48 AM (#46536 - in reply to #46366)

Veteran

We just got our 06 Dodge Diesel. Our first diesel so getting used to this is one thing and now their changeing things already. My question is what do I look for when I go to put fuel in it. Now I just look for the green nosel. Like someone said don't want to ruin the warrenty.
Thanks
Shari
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-14 8:56 AM (#46539 - in reply to #46536)

Elite Veteran

Yep ur dooo most Diesel nozzles are green.Just to be safe make sure the pump also says DIESEl.

Good luck on your new Dodge and enjoy.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-14 9:02 AM (#46540 - in reply to #46480)

Elite Veteran

I read that about bio-diesel a while ago. As I remember it, if you have 50,000 or so miles on a diesel vehicle and you switch to 100% bio-d you can EXPECT your fuel filter to clog as the first tank of B-D cleans out the crud, you might go 3 or 4 fills to the next filter change and it stretches out from there as your tank gets cleaned out. The moral seems to be to always have a replacement filter in the truck and the tools to change it at the roadside if necessary. I have those anyway.

Yep on the spare filter...and belt.

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-08-14 10:49 AM (#46554 - in reply to #46366)

Veteran

Better make sure the pump says diesel.  Know a woman who has (now had) her kids pump fuel and they filled up the truck with "green nozzled" gasoline.  Opps.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-14 10:58 AM (#46556 - in reply to #46366)

Elite Veteran

Naw they wouldn't do that !!
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-14 11:01 AM (#46557 - in reply to #46536)

Expert

Originally written by Shari on 2006-08-14 8:48 AM

We just got our 06 Dodge Diesel. Our first diesel so getting used to this is one thing and now their changeing things already. My question is what do I look for when I go to put fuel in it. Now I just look for the green nosel. Like someone said don't want to ruin the warrenty.
Thanks
Shari

The nozzle cover color may also depend on the GAS station's corporate alliance, e.g. BP's corporate colors are Green and Yellow, a green cover at a BP station can be for gasoline, the diesel hose is likely to be black. I've also seen red and orange used for diesel. MAKE SURE the hose is coming from the pump that is clearly marked diesel fuel. Safest bet is to use the truck aisle, as long as your tanks can take the larger nozzle, you'll typically get fresher fuel there anyway.
If you do make a mistake and don't notice it at first don't panic, 10 or 20% isn't likely to kill your engine, so a couple or three gallons will probably be OK - for much more than that you should probably have it drained before you start it.
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-08-15 9:32 AM (#46635 - in reply to #46366)

Veteran

Yes I make sure it says diesel. I love our truck we are getting better milage already (5 mi. a gallon) We had a 1500 before. THis one is 2500.
Shari
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-15 10:00 AM (#46639 - in reply to #46635)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Shari on 2006-08-15 7:32 AM

Yes I make sure it says diesel. I love our truck we are getting better milage already (5 mi. a gallon) We had a 1500 before. THis one is 2500. Shari

Is that a typo ? 5 mi a gallon???

Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-08-17 7:04 AM (#46793 - in reply to #46366)

Veteran

I meant 5 more miles a gallon on our new truck. We got 13 on the 1500 and we're getting anywhere from 18 to 19 on the new one.
Shari
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-17 8:03 AM (#46798 - in reply to #46366)

Elite Veteran

That sounds better.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-08-17 8:06 AM (#46799 - in reply to #46793)

Expert

The conversion to ULSD is main reason we are seeing the shortages of diesel right now. And while I'm able to buy diesel here in Utah, prices have shot up because Colorado and other states have serious shortages.

From what I've read, Refineries are having to steam clean their tanks prior to filling with ULD.  If the put the new fuel in the old tank with out cleaning first. they contaminate the ULSD with sulfur from the tanks.  One article I read said Sunoco in Denver was having to make 7 ppm diesel to insure 15 ppm, aftey they pumped the fuel through their pipe line.

I expect higher prices on diesel to remain for the next few months as they get the new ULSD into production and deleivered to the pump.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-17 8:33 AM (#46804 - in reply to #46366)

Elite Veteran

I think most of it is an excuse to raise prices and increase their profits.Here in Oregon they blame the price on the bad pipeline in alaska.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)