'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Electric Trailer Brakes making noise/adjustment

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-26 6:31 AM
9 replies, 7149 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mlfighter
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-25 8:48 PM (#45407)
Subject: Electric Trailer Brakes making noise/adjustment

Looking for some help and advice here.

I have a 3 horse Bison trailer which I like very much. It is a 2001 and I bought it used about a year ago. It has electric brakes. My problem....the brakes squeel very loud after they get warmed up. I thought the problem was the pads, so I replaced the pads with brand new ones. I have cleaned them and adjusted them several times. The rotors appear good. Still the loud squeel when braking. The hotter they get, the more they squeel. It is not like I am overheating them, even on flat easy travel, they seem to start making noise after about 20-30 miles. The brakes work fine, I just sound like a fool when I stop at a light and I sounds like and old dump truck coming to a halt. Also, any advice on adjusting them to ensure I am doing that correctly is appreciated.

Please let me know if anyone has some advice. I do truely appreciate your assistance.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-26 8:22 AM (#45419 - in reply to #45407)
Subject: RE: Electric Trailer Brakes making noise/adjustment

Elite Veteran

At least you know when they are working..

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-07-27 1:13 PM (#45522 - in reply to #45407)

Extreme Veteran

My 2005 does the same thing. Brakes seem to work OK but they do squeal. Maybe it's just the design.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-27 4:16 PM (#45531 - in reply to #45407)

Expert

MLfighter .. Welcome to the forum ..

I have two suggestions...  (I'll assume you have drum brakes although you said rotors

Either turn the drums or use some abrasive cloth to deglaze the drum surface.

Grease the brake shoe contact points on the backer plate.  As the brake shoe vibrates, it is transmitted to the backer plate.  If the shoe contact points are lubricated, the noise is damped instead.

mlfighter
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-27 8:59 PM (#45544 - in reply to #45531)

Thanks Hosspuller! Yes, I have electric drum brakes on both axels.  

That is some great information. Could you tell me wore about turning the drums? Do you mean have them done on a machine at the auto shop? They look pretty good, but I am not sure how to recognize the glaze. How much can I get in there with abrasive cloth? Is there anything else I can use like steel wool or fine sandpaper?

How about grease, white lithium or axle/bearing type grease?

Thanks for the help!!! 

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-27 9:21 PM (#45545 - in reply to #45544)

Expert

Originally written by mlfighter on 2006-07-27 7:59 PM

Thanks Hosspuller! Yes, I have electric drum brakes on both axels.  

That is some great information. Could you tell me wore about turning the drums? Do you mean have them done on a machine at the auto shop? They look pretty good, but I am not sure how to recognize the glaze. How much can I get in there with abrasive cloth? Is there anything else I can use like steel wool or fine sandpaper?

How about grease, white lithium or axle/bearing type grease?

Thanks for the help!!! 

The glaze is a smooth finish on the brake drum surface.  I imagine the smooth surface allows the brake pad to grab & slip in rapid cycles... producing the squeal.   Sorta like rubbing a wet finger on the rim of a glass.  The ultimate refinish is a shop using a lathe to cut the surface of the drum to fresh metal.  I suggested the abrasive cloth as a possible cheap fix.  You're trying to remove burnished metal and produce a comparatively rough surface.

As for grease on the backing plate.  Either type you mentioned will work.  I use Loctite C5-A anti-seize.  It doesn't melt and run when hot.  If you use grease, apply it very sparingly.  You don't want it to melt & get on the brake pad or drum surface.

mlfighter
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-27 10:01 PM (#45548 - in reply to #45545)

Great info Hosspuller!  Thank you very much. As soon as it gets lower than 110 degrees here in the central valley of California, I am going to work on it!

Take great care....

Mulerider
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-26 1:24 AM (#51903 - in reply to #45407)

New User

I am just one more Bison trailer owner that has the uncurable leaking roof AND the uncurable squeeling brakes. Neither the dealer or 3 other trailer places have been able to cure either problem and The Bison manufacurers have been no help either. I have a 2002 3H GN slant with the fiberglass roof. I sure hope they have made some serious improvements in the trailer since I've bought mine. Other then those 2 VERY annoying problems, I've liked the trailer. The dealer that I bought it from will no longer sell Bison trailers.
Mulerider
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-26 1:28 AM (#51904 - in reply to #45407)

New User

Oh, and the Bison I own now is my 2nd one. My first one leaked also. (at least the brakes were quiet) But it had a ramp on it that took two men and a boy to lift so I traded it for my present one that has no ramp. The last time I looked at trailers, it was a rainy day and I kid you not that every Bison with a fiberglass roof on the lot was leaking. The ones with aluminum roofs seemed ok.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-26 6:31 AM (#51905 - in reply to #45407)

Extreme Veteran

Bison has done away with the fibreglass roof. That design caused a lot of leaks. Our '05 has an aluminum roof - no leaks. But loud brakes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)