'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
backing horses out of trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-10 10:13 AM
14 replies, 6050 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barl5
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-27 5:38 PM (#42326)
Subject: backing horses out of trailer

New User

I have read a lot of the post on loading troubled horses but I haven't seen any on unloading trouble horses. I have two that will load perfectly and ride perfectly in the trailer but when it comes time to unload, they don't want to back out. They will turn around and leap out but I feel that this is not always good if I have two of them together because they seem to get tangled up and scraped up not to mention the leaping out which is kinda of dangerous for that person by the gate trying to hold onto them (especially if it is one of my kids!!) I have tried for hours backing them out with them taking a step maybe two (always rewarding them for any movement going back) but as soon as their back leg goes to where there isn't any trailer or groung they lunge forward which has caused injuries to us. Anyone have any suggestions how to get them to slowly and calmly back out?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-05-28 12:45 AM (#42336 - in reply to #42326)
Subject: RE: backing horses out of trailer

Extreme Veteran

I recently saw a program on RFD TV about backing horses out of a step-up. Several planks were used to create thin platforms, about 2" thick, 5' wide and 6' long. The platforms were stacked up to create a big step. The horses had to practice going up and over the platform, like a bridge. Then they stepped up onto it and had to back off. Next, they placed the platform next to the step of the trailer. They started the horses in and out with several platforms that were stacked on top of one another to create a level place for the horse to practice and gain confidence. Once they gained confidence and came in and out without problems, a 2" section was removed, and the process started over again. In and out with a 2" step down, then a 4" step and so on until the horse realized he wasn't going to step off the edge of the earth :) It sounds like a really long process, but it actually went pretty fast... took about an hour (not counting building the platforms). The guy said lots of repetion with that excercise would really help build a horse's confidence.

I had a horse that would stand in a straightload all day and not back out. And it had a ramp. The first couple times I had to "pester" him out by tap-tap-tapping on his chest with the crop. Every time he took a step back I stopped and praised him. The tapping was really irritating to him, and he'd finally just back out. Now I have a slant load and let him turn around because it's a step up. My buddie's slant load has a ramp and I have him back out of that trailer and it's no problem now.
TXAggie
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-28 11:37 AM (#42338 - in reply to #42326)

Patience and time.  When you get into this type of training with your horse - backing up to unload.  There is no clock.  It takes however long it takes, and there is no 'I have to get this done in one hour'.  Also, don't give up too early.  Lots of training fails to take hold because 'we' give up on the horse just when they are about to fully understand what we want from them.  Then, you have to almost start all over again each and every time.  Try to end on a positive note.  The advice of praising the horse for each little step is 'dead on'.  Best of luck in your training.

Steve

lostinohio
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-05-28 4:58 PM (#42340 - in reply to #42326)

Patience, patience and patience. Our two horses do fine in our slant load, step-up trailer. But it took plenty of practice and not forcing the horse(short of annoying taps on butt with crop to load). If you have a slant w/collapsible tack you could collapse tack for more room for your(safety) and horses can see more. When backing our horses out we constantly tell them "back" until 1 step away from step-off, then we tell them "down". They will take short reaches with their rear leg to feel the ground. After repeated tries, they will listen for you to say "down" so
they know they have to reach down for ground without being able to see it. It's them having faith in you. Our one horse will load and unload using just verbal cues and our other is almost there. Best luck on your training.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-05-28 5:06 PM (#42341 - in reply to #42326)

Expert

The way I used to do it when I had a 2horse bp trailer, was to feed and water in the trailer.  Feed on one side, hay in the pen, and water in the other side.  The first couple of hours it was near the door so the horse knew it was there, then moved it forward so he had to put his front feet in then moved it to the front so they had to get all the way in. 

We put the truck/trailer in a pen (or built a temporary pen around the rear of the trailer) and when the horse wanted to eat or drink they had to load/unload.  It takes time, but they learn and you don't put yourself in the way of a horse rushing out.  After the first few times they learn that the ground really is there. 

We usually built up the ground behind the trailer a bit and ALWAYS had it firmly connected to the truck.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-05-29 11:04 PM (#42380 - in reply to #42326)

Expert

For years I let my horses turn and walk out forward. Last summer I bought a new trailer with the storage under the built in manger.  And my horses can not squeeze between them to turn around. So they have to back out. 4 of my 5 horses made the adjust just fine.  But my big grey just would not back out.  I about sold him for dog food.

I gave up on the trailer and I spent  a bunch of time backing him over everything I could find to back him over. We practiced Out side of the trailer.  Back over the curb, Back over a ditch bank. Back over 8" square post.  He had to learn to trust me to back over things on command. It was a lot of work. Once I felt comfortable getting him backing on command, I went back to the trailer and we worked on Front feet in - Front feet out.  Then I let him load all the way and unload. It was a lot of work and he is still tentative about backing out of trailers.

RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-30 1:12 AM (#42382 - in reply to #42326)

Extreme Veteran

I taught my horses to back out by working with them outside of the trailer(less stress and less chance of injury).  I built a big wooden platform, about 12" high.   Once they would load on the platform foward, we just worked on reverse, one hoof at a time.  Once they get comfortable stepping backwards and  blind, we go learn in the trailer.  It's worked for every horse I've had.  
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-30 7:34 AM (#42389 - in reply to #42326)

Expert

Sounds like the horses know they don't need to back out. After taking a few steps back, allow them to go forward again but ask to back a few steps. Turning around shouldn't be an option. Staying very calm, never punish them for stepping forward, just ask for them to step back getting one more step each time. they will go out.
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-30 8:56 PM (#42422 - in reply to #42326)

Regular

That is also the way I do it lastinohio except I tell them to back, back then step when it comes time to step. I taught them on the ground when breaking them to back on verbale comman, so when it comes time to get out of the trailer I tell them to back, back, back then step.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-31 4:05 PM (#42456 - in reply to #42338)

Extreme Veteran

Patience and time.  When you get into this type of training with your horse - backing up to unload.  There is no clock.  It takes however long it takes, and there is no 'I have to get this done in one hour'.  Also, don't give up too early.  Lots of training fails to take hold because 'we' give up on the horse just when they are about to fully understand what we want from them.  Then, you have to almost start all over again each and every time.  Try to end on a positive note.  The advice of praising the horse for each little step is 'dead on'.  Best of luck in your training.

Steve

I totally agree with this post and others that say the same thing. A horse I sold my friend was so used to a stock trailer, and turning around and walking out, was asked to load and unload this weekend in my new 2h slant gooseneck. He loaded up like a charm but asked him to unload and it was not good, just stood, tried to back out a couple times, so we had to take everything out of the back tack and fold it up each time to unload him. I kick myself in the butt for not teaching him backing out "just in case" when I broke him. Now my friend is teaching him in her two horse straight load, so far so good, she said it's a rough unload but so far so good, just alot of patience.

Edited by cowpony01 2006-05-31 4:07 PM
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-06-02 9:24 PM (#42588 - in reply to #42382)

Extreme Veteran

Yep - training outside the trailer was the method demonstrated on an RFD TV program.  They practiced on a bridge type platform, then they moved the platform behind the trailer and lowered it a bit at a time until the horse was no longer stepping out on to the platfform, but on to the ground.  (The platform was in 4' x 6' x 2" slabs that could be moved, so it could be elevated and lowered a few inches at a time)*
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-06-07 8:12 AM (#42716 - in reply to #42588)

Extreme Veteran

I never let one turn around and come out forward the first time even if they are in a stock trailer in the front compartment. May take a while but in the long run it's for the best and they will back out of anything straight or slant.
ISHOM
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-06-07 6:00 PM (#42743 - in reply to #42326)

Regular

That's fine as long as the previous owner didn't already engrain it into their head......It's harder to teach an old dog new tricks.

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-06-08 12:29 AM (#42760 - in reply to #42326)

Elite Veteran

Wooden pallets with 1"plywood sheets nailed on top. place maybe 3 or 4 in a row and teach him to walk across like crossing a bridge.  After he's being nice doing the "go forward" work, then start asking him to back off the pallet.  I've used this method for youngsters.  I like doing this because it's noisy when they walk on the pallets.  Be sure to get thick plywood.
marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-06-10 10:13 AM (#42819 - in reply to #42326)

Regular

It does take a lot of work and patience, but it definitely pays off. I bought a 2horse slant load. My horse didn't want to load and he's short/small enough he could turn around in the front stall. I took a winter and worked it as many days as the weatehr would allow. He still tries to turn around when my daughter unloads him, but he waits for me and backs out fine.Our new horse doesn't like it at all! He was used to turning and coming out. One day, he got stuck- 'cause he's a little bigger. Well, that cured him. He hates backing, but he hasn't tried to turn around. I used to have to pull on the lead rope to bring him out. He was turned all the way sideways coming out, now he comes out straight. He still taps his feet around waiting for the step, but he comes out. My problem (which just needs time and work) is he goes in and backs out quickly. Once I have him tied in or the slany closed, he's OK, but he likes to go in and out too quickly. Have fun and take your time!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)