'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Thinking of Getting Into Blanket Washing

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-27 9:15 PM
6 replies, 3302 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

artb42
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-26 9:19 PM (#40969)
Subject: Thinking of Getting Into Blanket Washing

My wife has been looking for a horse-related business she can start small with, then maybe grow into something that could become full-time.  We almost bought a small local feed and tack shop until a brand new Southern States distributor opened up less than a mile away and it became clear why the owner was willing to sell so cheap and so fast!

She has settled on horse blanket washing/repairs.  We are going to invest in a laundry-quality washer that can handle the job, figure even if it doesn't work out we can sell it and not lose our shirts.

My question is, after checking on the net, prices for this service vary wildly.  I don't think there is any local competition.  We were thinking $20 for heavy blankets and turnouts, $15 for sheets, and $10 for sleazies, hoods, other small items.

Would you pay these prices for 1-week turnaround?

Anyone have experience with any similar businesses?

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-04-26 10:01 PM (#40971 - in reply to #40969)
Subject: RE: Thinking of Getting Into Blanket Washing

Elite Veteran

If you would privately e-mail me, I'll give you the name of a lady who does this in my area.  She's a miracle worker with blankets!

Nancy

Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-04-26 10:29 PM (#40972 - in reply to #40969)

Regular

The local laundromat here cleans heavy blankets and sheets for the same price...$10 each or $8 each for four or more. They don't do repairs, but they wrap them in celophane which is nice for storing them over the summer. Hope this helps! Good luck!!!
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-26 11:45 PM (#40973 - in reply to #40969)

Extreme Veteran

There is a gal here in the Pacific Northwest who cleans them for $20.
Repairs are extra; she does a fantastic job. I'd think you could wash sleezy's in your own washing machine, not send them off for someone else to do. The big turnout's require an industrial size machine though. I can tell you our "blanket lady" seems to be very successful. Good luck in your business venture!

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-26 11:51 PM (#40975 - in reply to #40973)

Extreme Veteran

Oh,  I forgot to mention one other thing she offers.  She must have an agreement with several tack and feed stores in the area, because you can drop off your blanket in a large black garbage bag with your name attached to the bag;  they have pick-ups on a weekly basis at these feed and tack stores.  The folks at the stores keep a log of who drops what and I have never had a problem with a lost blanket or anything like that.  The blanket lady probably gives them a flat fee, say a couple bucks, for every blanket they take in and hold for the weekly pickup, and weekly drop off of cleaned blankets.  All the stores need is safe place to "hold" them between pickups.
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-27 12:13 PM (#40991 - in reply to #40969)

Regular

In our area there is a lady who will do individual's blankets, but her main concern is the big show barns. I know one barn who sent off over 100 blankets/sheets/hoods to her last spring - she came and picked them up and they were returned 1 week later with nice I.D./name tags and were wrapped in cellophane. I think she charged $20 or so a blanket. Sheets were around $15 and hoods were $10ish -repairs were anywhere from $2-8 per blanket. She would even add leg straps where they were needed. If you have show barns in the area, that would be the way to go! Good Luck!!

Edited by kickshaw44 2006-04-27 12:14 PM
artb42
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-27 9:15 PM (#41009 - in reply to #40969)

Thanks everybody - we really appreciate the help!

Anyone else who wants to chime in,

bring it on!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World