'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Goofy Horse Antics...what does your horse do?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-12 3:24 PM
13 replies, 4753 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-25 10:10 PM (#39512)
Subject: Goofy Horse Antics...what does your horse do?

Extreme Veteran

I have always wondered what other's horses do.  My buckskin mare absolutely loves coffee and she loves diet cokes!  She will literally snatch a can or bottle if you leave it sitting where she can reach it!  I need to snap a pic of her sometime.  I have another ex racehorse TB that will carry around her feed pan, she will bang it on the metal pasture gate if I am late feeding!  Horses can be so hilarious!  

Edited by mrstacticalmedic 2006-03-25 10:12 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 9:09 AM (#39522 - in reply to #39512)
Subject: RE: Goofy Horse Antics...what does your horse do?

Elite Veteran

My friends had a mare who ate pizza and once she grabbed wine out of my hand. And yes, she upturned the glass (plastic fortunately) and drank it before I could get it back. My gelding has been known to steal candy bars and hot dogs off plates if the people are not watching. He also likes to "help" fix fence. Apparently he knows better than we just exactly where that hammer should be; he routinely carries off small tools that we may have sitting beside us. My mare will "tattle"; she'll whinny and run up from the rest of the group, then run back and repeat, until I follow her to see what they're doing. Yes, they are a hoot.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-26 12:37 PM (#39542 - in reply to #39512)

Extreme Veteran

Years ago, when my dad would be out out working on fences wearing his old straw cowboy hat, my gelding would grab my dad's hat off his head and stay just out of reach when dad tried to retrieve it. He would also take a hammer any other tool you were using, and walk away with it, or push the "poop-cart" over any chance he got.

My current gelding rears up and squeals at his own reflection, trying to fight with himself in the mirror located high up on one wall in the arena. He will stand there next to that mirror all day, and every so often react to that horse in the mirror :)
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-03-26 1:02 PM (#39545 - in reply to #39512)

Expert

I've got 2 that will carry their feed pan around and one that will steal anything left lying around.  Of course he was the one that found my mud boots after the tornado in Oct blew them off the back porch.  He brought one back to his stall and was carrying the other one around in the pasture. 

My "boys" will try to grab each others halters and lead the other around.

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 10:19 PM (#39566 - in reply to #39512)

Extreme Veteran

Terri  that is just hilarious..I can picture those two horses trying to lead eachother around.  I think that would be so cute to see!!!  Reading these posts has really brightened my day!  Thanks
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-03-27 2:04 PM (#39608 - in reply to #39512)

Veteran

Same here, they really are fun to watch.  We actually have 3 ducks who apparently think they are horses as well, and my horses don't seem to mind.  I know why the ducks get in the pasture (left over grain in the you know what), but they actually come and get in the stalls and the horses will actually wait for them to leave the stalls before they try to go in.  I just told my daughter this morning we were going to have to get little duck saddles for our horse-ducks.

TWalkers
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-03-27 5:59 PM (#39613 - in reply to #39512)

We have a Tenn. Walker 7 year old gelding that loves the barn cats. He loves for them to rub on his legs and better yet when they get up on the fence post he loves them to rub against his face. He will lick the cats until they look like someone has put gel in their hair. Hope he does not get a hair ball! ha We have some wonderful video of this and plan on sending it in to Animal Planet and Funniest Video. It is really a wonderful thing to watch considering the difference in size and the cats are not afraid of them.
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-28 12:49 PM (#39657 - in reply to #39512)

Regular

We have a gelding that came over from Germany (he was never turned out). At home, each horse has a run attached to their stall - when he plays with his 'over the fence' buddies, he will stick his tongue out about 5 inches and let them try to bite it..... it is absolutely hysterical! (Of course one day we will walk in to find that said horse has 5 inches less tongue This same horse will stick his tongue out through the bars of his stall so that you will scratch it and pull on it.

One of my horses will take his feed tub and run it across the front of his stall (iron bars) when he is hungry or when you are late feeding him - like he's in jail!

A horse that used to be in my barn would make pig noises so you would scratch his armpits.....don't ask why...I don't know!!!!!

This a great post, let's keep it going!

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-01 4:50 PM (#39870 - in reply to #39512)

Extreme Veteran

There is a gelding in our barn who scrapes his teeth against the bars in the bars that separate the stalls half way up, at feeding time.  He scrapes his teem from the bottom up, along about 2 feet of bars...it reverberates throughout the whole barn.  Imagine running your fingers along the teeth of a comb...that is what it is like only really loud.  He looks like a criminal rattling a tin cup along the jail bars :

Edited by cowgirl98034 2006-04-01 4:56 PM
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-04-03 7:29 AM (#39917 - in reply to #39512)

Elite Veteran

My 4 year old TW absolutely loves water.  If the sprinklers are on in the pasture, he's playing in them - he'll move around so the water stream hits him in certain places, he'll move his face so the water hits him in the mouth, etc.  If he's in the pasture and anyone is rinsing their horses off, he'll walk over to them and nudge them until they rinse him off as well. And when you're rinsing him, he will move his head around to the water and want to drink out of the hose.  He's great about walking through water and will drink as he's walking along. 

He also adores bran.  If he's in the stall, and I'm mixing it up, he'll stick his head out of the window and nicker until I give it to him.  When he's eating it, he really relishes it and will get it all over his face.  He'll slop it on the window sil and the bucket and then lick it up afterwards.  When he's done his face is a just a mess and I have to rinse it off.

bits
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-04-04 6:05 PM (#39963 - in reply to #39512)

We have 4 Qhorses and last August when there was no relief from the heat,I went to the pasture and started spraying them with the hose. They weren't sure at first then realized how good it felt and started to cut in front of each other. After round robin they all turned their butts to me and backed up closer all in a line. It was so funny to watch as I moved the hose from one to the next they would look over their shoulder " Hey where'd ya go". It became a routine for us when I would walk to the pasture in the afternoon and they'd all come up and line up and turn their butts to me and wait........... 
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-04-04 8:51 PM (#39968 - in reply to #39512)

Elite Veteran

My 10 year old Arabian "Xtra" (because he's my extra horse), has a love for Milkbone dog biscuits.  My girls delight in feeding him left over chicken quesadilla or steak, which he seems to really enjoy.  You can't ignore him or he will pound on his stall door, or pull down any halter, lead rope or anything he can reach over the door and grab in his mouth.  I once was sitting in a lawn chair watching my husband fix fence (worked for me!!), and when I got up, he was carrying off my lawn chair.  Don't know where he expected to go with it, but he thought it was the thing to do!
Matt
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-10 1:42 PM (#40195 - in reply to #39512)

If it's not tied down they will take off with it. Anything from feed bowls to fencing supplies. I will have to say it's only my geldings that do odd ball things. The mare doesn't do anything odd.

My one gelding likes to grab the end of the lariat and hold it in his mouth while I'm roping the buford. He's also the one that likes to pick up the barn cat.

My neighbors Arabian will eat about anything except turkey. He even spit it out and kept eating the pastrami.

Edited by Matt 2006-04-10 1:50 PM
Foxtrot2
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-04-12 3:24 PM (#40332 - in reply to #39512)

The gelding I had as a kid used to pick on my dad.  My dad didn't hear well, but he'd be out in the pasture, picking manure.  This 15.2 hand horse would literally sneak  up and scare the CRAP outta my poor dad.  Then while dad's trying to catch his breath, my gelding would run off and trot around like he was just the ultimate.  I have to smile just thinking about it!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)