'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Long distance hauling

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-25 7:56 AM
9 replies, 4879 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

manymorgans
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-24 9:51 AM (#37751)
Subject: Long distance hauling

What do you think about hauling long distance (say, from MN to FL) with a 2 horse straight load? It is a Trailet extra tall and wide. The horses would be down there for a month and then we'd haul them back. Too hard on them? How often would you want to stop? I do have a 4 slant Sundowner also, but am nervous about hauling in winter with a 2WD truck (1 ton F350 Powerstroke).
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-24 10:02 AM (#37752 - in reply to #37751)
Subject: RE: Long distance hauling

Extreme Veteran

Is the 4 horse slant a gooseneck trailer? I would rather haul that for a long trip such as yours over the bumper pull anyday. Whether you haul a gooseneck trailer or a bumper pull trailer having 2wd drive to pull either won't matter in slippery conditions. You could still get stuck with 4wd although I like the added security over a 2wd truck.

I think your horses will haul fine for that distance. Are they good haulers anyway? As far as stopping during the trip some argue 2-3 hours to every 4-6 but it is also up to you as far as how you feel. I wouldn't unload the horses during the trip, just offer water and some hay. Is this going to be a several day venture to get there or are you driving straight thru? Personally I would split the trip up into 2 days and find a horsey motel or fairgrounds to stay overnight. This topic has been discussed before, you can find past threads on it by way of the search option.

Good luck!! Are you thinking of escaping this winter weather?

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-24 10:40 AM (#37753 - in reply to #37751)

Expert

Hi and Welcome to the fun forum.

I took a couple of old guys from Vermont to Los Angeles at the beginning of February. We had one 650 mile day and some slightly uner 500 mile days.
just about 3300 miles in 6 days, average 550 a day.
"Old" being almost 20 and 28, New Zealand thoroughbreds - BIG 'uns and the older one has Cushings. They were almost as fresh at the destination as when we started. That was in a 4 horse head to head 4-Star air ride trailer 8ft wide, 7ft 6in head room, so they had plenty of space around them, they travelled in the two front stalls facing backwards.
So no, I don't think it would be too hard on them.

A couple of tips that I don't think I've mentioned before;
a) Check the outside temperature when you load up each morning, adjust vents, blankets, etc accordingly. WhenEVER you feel the need to adjust the heater or a/c controls in the truck think very seriously about stopping and adjusting the horses' clothing and vents. I had 6 to 68 degree and back down again swings in New Mexico. Don't let 'em freeze, more importantly don't let 'em sweat and then freeze.
b) Join USRider. I did it specifically for that trip. having procrastinated about it for a few years. Fortunately I didn't need it, but it was good peace of mind. I think it is probably worth it if you ever go more than a couple of hundred miles from home. I'd call friends for under 100 miles, but for anything much more I think I'd call USRider.
c) DO have your horses' papers in the truck and (in Florida especially) DO stop at the ag stations - typically combined weigh station and ag inspection station.

Other thoughts, tips.
Stop every hour and offer water - UNTIL they will drink from a hand held bucket in the trailer. After that stop every 3 hours. You might be able to train them to this in their stalls before you go, though You'd have to deny them their regular water.
It is unnatural for them, but by about the 3rd hourly stop they learn that water only comes when the trailer stops and it will be a while before they get another chance to drink. Use 2 gallon pails, small and light enough to hold up and shallow enough for them to reach the bottom. Get them used to those pails before you go. I use the 7 gallon blue "Aquatainers" from Walmart to make sure that I use containers that have only ever had water in them. No rinsed out plastic gas containers for ME.

"Eat light" yourself. I don't nap, never have, but I don't want hefty food making me drowsey on the next 3 hour driving session. Get adequate rest along the way, don't try to drive on caffiene, too much makes me "edgy" and impatient with other drivers.

Trailer choice: I'd go with the straight load, avoid that right_fore/rear_hind loading issue altogether. If it is a bumper-pull the ride should be good enough as long as you have a decent load distributing hitch.
re: 2wd in winter - WHAT winter ? (-:
I took a southern route to LA, just didn't want to deal with Colorado (e.g. Vail) or Wyoming in February.

Edited by Reg 2006-02-24 10:52 AM
manymorgans
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-24 11:25 AM (#37756 - in reply to #37751)
Subject: Long distance hauling

What a great forum, thanks for the advice! Keep it coming, I want to do my homework. I will check out past threads, I tried to do a search, but it only brought up a few, must not have used the right keywords.

Yes, I'm looking to go down and stay in FL for a little while, we actually have a place there. I bought the Sundowner specifically for this a few years back, and have not been in the position to make the trip until now for a long enough time to make it worthwhile.

The Sundowner is a gooseneck. It is a 97, the Trailet is a 2002. I lean toward the 2 horse, just because it seems like it would be easier, the other rig is 53' long, truck and trailer, but want the horses to be comfortable. I plan to get them both checked out again, as well as the truck, prior to a trip (did it last fall before the snow). I have hauled both horses to horseshows, etc, but never longer than about 6 hours. I'm not afraid to trailer, but am concerned about the length of the trip, the weather and making sure my horses stay sound. They both trailer well, They are 3 and 4 years old. if I bring a third horse, she also trailers well but is 15 and has thyroid issues.

I also worry about the 2WD sliding, it does not have good traction in the snow at all. I will have company on the drive, and I will certainly look into USRider, I did not know about it. Wow, Vermont to CA, that IS a long haul!

Edited by manymorgans 2006-02-24 11:28 AM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-24 11:46 AM (#37758 - in reply to #37751)

Expert

4WD is nice to have, though I don't think it would be a major problem to be without it on the highway. As many have said, it helps you get going but doesn't do much for stopping. Even so, I often click mine in if I think I'm about to cross a bridge that might be frozen.

Another "Execu_toy" that I have and recommend for distance travel is satellite radio. I can pick up local weather and traffic FOR anywhere in the US - FROM anywhere in the US. Keep enough flexibility in your plan to stay over at an overnight stable for a couple of extra days if the weather turns bad. Don't get surprised when you're halfway between overnight stables, just KNOW what you have ahead of you each day and if you don't want to face it stay where you are for 24 or 48 hours. Same comment for if your horses tire, just take a day out.

Re: Powerstroke.
Take Ca$h with you for fuel, get a Love's card and save a few bux.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-24 7:40 PM (#37773 - in reply to #37756)

Expert

Your GN will probably haul better for the horses giving them a smoother ride than the BP. Plus, you'll have more room to put hay, feed, extra shavings, etc. With a 350, you wouldn't need a weight distribution hitch. Do keep track of the temp during the day. It will change quickly as you move southward. I highly recommend XM radio! Listen to Glenn Beck from 9 - 12AM and you won't even know where the time went!! Oh, and the access to weather and traffic on XM is good too but not nearly as entertaining.
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-02-24 11:03 PM (#37782 - in reply to #37751)

Veteran

I haul alot to trail ride, My max is 15 hours, I try to give water but most do not drink on the raod, so I offer apples and carrots for moisture. My biggest concern is the tempature, either its too hot or too cold. I try not to take them out if I dont have to, mine are happy when we stop and they can stick their heads out. I keep a few inches of damp saw dust on the floor for comfprt and to soak up whatever. When I do stop fnd let them out for a break I do not excercise them since standing in a moving trailer is work enough, as with most ventures in the equine world, your horses will decide for you, some travel long with no problem, some don't
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-02-24 11:05 PM (#37783 - in reply to #37751)

Veteran

All great advice, particularly the Glen Beck! (Fri. is the best), but I digress, here's a couple more hints that are important to me, for what it's worth... Get a good C.B. radio put in and know how and WHEN to use it.  Us truckers (esspecialy livestock truckers) look out for other livestock on the roads more than any one else will, (ain't that right Reg?) and upcoming problems,accidents, "bears", or other delays can be anounced miles ahead of time.  If there is an accident may be better to pull in that last rest area or get off that last exit ramp as opposed to sitting on the freeway in a traffic jam for two hours! Know what I mean?  Don't forget...ch. 19.  Second word of advice, I don't know how or IF you tie your horses, but remember, it is not natural for a horse to have its head at or above shoulder height for an extended period of time. A horse has to have time to lower its head towards the ground at least every 6 hours to let the sinuses drain and avoid infection or other problems.  TaDa, there it is for what it's worth.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-02-24 11:19 PM (#37785 - in reply to #37751)

Extreme Veteran

I like to stop every two - three hours at a minimum for my horses as well as myself.  I like to stop at big truck stops because they have diesel, restrooms, munchies, safety in numbers, and plenty of room to move in and out. 

I don't take them out of the trailer along the way.  For some horses it's more traumatic getting in and out rather than staying in.

I like to give my horses some cushion to stand on (pine shavings) and also some Woody Pet product to help with ammonia smell.  With cushioning it will always encourage to urinate in the trailer.

Give them plenty of ventilation.  Even if it's cold I like to crack a window and keep air circulating.

I don't grain before or along the way but do offer hay.  I tie them long enough they can get their heads down so they can blow out their airway.  

For water I usually take a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and carry water from home so they'll drink.  I offer it in a smaller bucket so I can lift it ok.  Someone once told me if you can't get them to drink strange water to put apple juice in it and it'll encourage them to drink. 

Have a safe trip!

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-25 7:56 AM (#37792 - in reply to #37783)

Expert

Oh, the CB is really a good idea. I hate hauling long distances without one. If you don't have one in your truck, you can buy a portable that has a magnetic antenna for your roof. I do prefer to keep them tied so that they stay put. I have traveled on 2 day trips and they stayed in the trailer over night at truck stops. As long as I keep them happy, they arrive in perfect health. Fridays with Glenn Beck are great but he's going to go to hell for doing "Moron (more on) Trivia"!! LOL!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)