'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
"Replacing Manual Transmission"

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-23 5:21 PM
9 replies, 3598 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jenkinsqh
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-02-22 3:57 PM (#37694)
Subject: "Replacing Manual Transmission"

New User

Was just reading on another forum about a truck owner being on their 3rd manual transmission in their truck.  I probably am under the misconception that you wouldn't have a "transmission" per se to replace in whole with a manual, but rather individual gears (or all of them).  When a manual transmission "goes" what all are you actually replacing aside from gears and clutch?  Are there "defective" manual transmissions out there where, in your opinion, the manufacture is to blame, or are most manual transmission failures more use/user related when compared to failed auto trannies?  Clear as mud?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-22 5:33 PM (#37699 - in reply to #37694)
Subject: RE: "Replacing Manual Transmission"

Expert

Originally written by Jenkinsqh on 2006-02-22 4:57 PM

Was just reading on another forum about a truck owner being on their 3rd manual transmission in their truck. I probably am under the misconception that you wouldn't have a "transmission" per se to replace in whole with a manual, but rather individual gears (or all of them). When a manual transmission "goes" what all are you actually replacing aside from gears and clutch? Are there "defective" manual transmissions out there where, in your opinion, the manufacture is to blame, or are most manual transmission failures more use/user related when compared to failed auto trannies? Clear as mud?

At a guess - and I'll probably sound elitist...
Anyone who blows out 3 trannies and/or 3 clutches probably doesn't know the difference between them.
If he/she is drag racing I guess it is possible - or if they just don't know how to drive - again, possible.
I'd still guess it to be clutches not the whole trans - if anything they will strip synchros, but even that takes some serious abuse to do.

Is this on a Ford F-series ?
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-23 2:38 AM (#37704 - in reply to #37694)

Expert

Transmissions as well as other things can and do fail to the point of repairing is not cost effective.Reman units for most transmissions are available.

Edited by hounddog 2006-02-23 2:39 AM
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-23 5:28 AM (#37707 - in reply to #37694)

Expert

Unless the truck in question is a 1970 model, I am with Reg you shouldn't be "blowing" 3 trannys in a late model truck unless there is some serious operator error. I have a friend that delivers RV/Horse Trailers, says he gets over 700,000 miles out of his trucks with normal maintainence i.e. clutches, brakes, tires, runs Dodges and Fords, sorry Reg I know you are a GM guy. He did say his next new one will be a Duramax.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-23 6:27 AM (#37708 - in reply to #37694)

Expert

700,000 without major repairs? I follow a number of diesel sites daily (have for several years)with a LOT of haulers posting.That amount of miles is a record if its not been a "little" streched with no major work.Most with FAR less miles then that have had injection pumps,injectors,trannys,rear axels repaired,steering parts repaired  or replaced at least once if not a few times.Now a over the road tractor which is designed for that kinda miles maybe but not the run of the mill 2500/3500 series truck of any manufacture.There just plain not designed for that kinda mileage or use.I've seen million mile 3500 truck(very RARE) with the internals of a engine the original but the list of repairs covered two pages and rest of the truck was bad TIRED.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-23 7:49 AM (#37711 - in reply to #37708)

Extreme Veteran

It almost sounds as if theyhave a out of balance drive shaft or something that is causing the main shaft to wear. I'm like y'all, something just isn't right. They may be lugging it down low a lot of standard ones have a growl if you lug them slow and this puts pressure on the main shaft.
Jenkinsqh
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-02-23 9:35 AM (#37714 - in reply to #37699)

New User

No, not drag racing, and not a Ford.  Someone was asking about pos/neg of buying a new Dodge Diesel.  A responder came on saying they would never own one, because their friend had replaced 3 MANUAL transmissions in his 95' Dodge Diesel.  I had heard of these kinds of problems in Ford, GM AND Dodge over the years, but it was always in regards to an AUTOMATIC transmission, and those buyers with either a preference, or a wish to avoid any of those complications went with manual transmissions.  I guess quite simply, I've never heard of manual transmissions being replaced in whole, and certainly not with that kind of frequency..I've heard of the drive shaft, clutch, gears, "going," but most times, some abuse by the driver was involved.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-23 9:49 AM (#37715 - in reply to #37694)

Expert

Or whomever repaired them or if reman units were of poor quality.The 5 speed Dodge units did have 5th gear nuts backing off prolems if used hard.The 6 speeds are a NV5600 and one big tough unit.They fail from time to time as anything will.Also it depends on how much weight is being pulled and or how its being used.Lots of these trucks pull a LOT more then there designed to.Need the FULL story of why three units.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-23 10:09 AM (#37717 - in reply to #37694)

Expert

I knew as soon as I posted that mileage number someone would chime in with there is now way, OK his 99 Fords he says he was replacing the flywheels(2-Piece) with the clutches, he had a couple of rear-end problems with 1 of the Dodges granted he doesn't have an 05 and up Ford(6 liters have had more problems than we have time) and he says he will buy a Duramax next, he runs 4 trucks all one ton duallys I have seen the odometers on two of the trucks less than a month ago 709,00 on one and 690,000 on the other, He considers a major repair being pulling the heads or replaceing trannys. Ask him why he has two Fords and two Dodges he says everyone deserves a different view(dashes) every now and then. He is probley the most laid back guy I know, you can't get a rise out of him and God knows I try(I am a big time Cummins guy). He says they all make good ones and bad ones. He will tell you he appreciates all the extra income from us taxpayers so he can haul the FEMA trailers down to a big feild in Arkansas.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-23 5:21 PM (#37732 - in reply to #37694)

Expert

3 trannies (or clutches) in one truck still spells

A B U S E

I see/hear people revving up at stop lights waiting for the green, when they get it they rev some more and slip the clutch all the way across the intersection - BURN, baby BURN !!!

Then "speed shift" to 2'nd
STRIP, baby STRIP !!!
{just your synchros (-: }
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'