'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
stupid ?'s about trailers!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-17 7:58 AM
7 replies, 3935 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

HJhoney
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-07-11 3:46 PM (#27919)
Subject: stupid ?'s about trailers!

hey everyone! I'm still pretty new to the whole "trailer thing" and have some questions that I know some of you will laugh at, but I'm no mechanic/electrician and don't know much about everything so here they go: (sorry it's kinda long!!) I have a 2000 Hart 2horse TB model GN

1) How would you go about hooking up a battery underneath the gooseneck in order ot run lights etc. when not hooked up?

2) I have the hook/slide window tie backs for my rear top doors above my ramp but I dislike them because the windows still stick out some. Should I buy new ones (mine are rusty & ones broken) or get the stick in plunger type deal that is on my doors? I'm converned they might not stay open when driving.

3) Has anyone bought the little 12 volt 2 speed fans that can be mounted in the horse area? Even with all my windows open it's hot! I live in Ga and travel to very traffic-y areas for horse shows so the horses end up sitting in traffic in the heat and sweat to death. i would really like to get some...

4) Where can you buy the diamond plate sheets? I would like to cover my fenders with it since they were so dented when I purchased my trailer. I also am looking for the butt bar/ chest bar round pads- can't find them!!

Don't worry- my boyfriend mechanic will be doing all the installations- I'll just pay for it all! Thanks in advance for the answers- can't you tell I'm new at this??

Edited by HJhoney 2005-07-11 4:24 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-11 4:34 PM (#27926 - in reply to #27919)
Subject: RE: stupid ?'s about trailers!

Veteran

Re the battery installation, If I were you I would visit a trailer dealer in your area or check out some trailers at a show to see how the battery box/frame is fabricated and installed. The majority of these are fabricated from aluminum and tig or mig welded to the frame. Due to the weight of the battery and the potential of it becoming a missile in an accident, suggest you put some thought into it and utilize a good qualified welder to make this up and attach it.

Re the 12 volt fans in the horse area, these are common and are usually mounted in the butt area up close to the ceiling. Make sure you use good quality 12 gauge wiring and a heavy duty 12 volt dc switch, these materials are available in any auto parts store. The fans are availale from several sources, the better ones are available from west marine supply. West marine also has some nice 12 volt distribution boxes/switches etc for wiring up your battery. Most rv suppliers online also have similar equipment but sometimes not of very good quality.

The diamond plate sheets are available from any steel supplier in your area. Check the yellow pages in your area, there are usually some steel suppliers close to any area that has some industry. They can usually cut these to size but sometimes you have to order an entire sheet depending on what they stock.

Not sure re the door stops and the ramp.

Marty.
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-07-11 6:31 PM (#27932 - in reply to #27919)

Veteran

I have a Hart Trailer and I went to Home Depot and bought an aluminum tool box to mount to the front of my trailer.  I installed the battery in the box and wired it through the wire block under the neck of the trailer.  This operates the lights inside, and is recharged when I hook it up to the truck.  For pictures see my web site http://home.earthlink.net/~dheismann/

Good Luck

hhecladd
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-11 6:37 PM (#27933 - in reply to #27919)

as far as the diamond plate goes, I did the same thing for my trailer, got it from a guy in Colorado off Ebay.  I got 2 sheets of 30"x44" delivered to virginia for $105.00 and it is not the thinnest available (.045"), but malleable and shapable for that purpose.  The guys name is Scott (i think) and his email is : cutsmetal@yahoo.com or check for his postings from ebay.  i looked all over the area here when I was looking for mine and they couldn't touch this price!  Check it out! Good Luck
HJhoney
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-07-16 11:17 PM (#28144 - in reply to #27926)

Thanks so much! My boyfriend and his Dad (an engineer) are really good welders and I'll look at trailers at our barn for ideas. Thanks so much for your advice! I'm so new to all this- I though fans went near they're heads! ha... ~Helen
HJhoney
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-07-16 11:22 PM (#28145 - in reply to #27932)

Great idea! Your trailer looks great... I might think of doing mine in the future! (When I have the money!) Thanks so much- your site gave me lots of ideas- my boyfriend is going to hate you! ;) ~Helen
HJhoney
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-07-16 11:23 PM (#28146 - in reply to #27933)

thanks so much! I'll look into it.. ~Helen
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-17 7:58 AM (#28147 - in reply to #27932)

Expert

Originally written by Turfa on 2005-07-11 6:31 PM

I have a Hart Trailer and I went to Home Depot and bought an aluminum tool box to mount to the front of my trailer. I installed the battery in the box and wired it through the wire block under the neck of the trailer. This operates the lights inside, and is recharged when I hook it up to the truck. For pictures see my web site http://home.earthlink.net/~dheismann/

Good Luck

Ahh HAH !
THANKS !!!
I admit to having seen your previous posts about the home despot tool box as a battery box, but (until now) not having looked at your web site pics.

I've browsed around HD looking for HAND tool boxes about the size of a truck battery, obviously I didn't find anything suitable.
THIS is a great solution, BIG boxes that can take a battery (ot two) and still have space for other "stuff". I'll probably measure up everything I currently have "hanging onto" my drop wall, add a few more inches for expansion and go buy the next sized up - later in the week.

Thanks again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)