'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Pictures of the ramp and half door problem...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-16 5:12 PM
8 replies, 4602 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-15 6:54 PM (#26612)
Subject: Pictures of the ramp and half door problem...

Veteran

I took a bunch 'o photos and posted them on my website:

http://www.redwrench.com/trailswest/damndoor/default.htm

Happy Trails,

Michelle

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-06-15 6:56 PM (#26613 - in reply to #26612)
Subject: RE: Pictures of the ramp and half door problem...

Extreme Veteran

I say take the damndoor off.  Put some pin hinges on it so it can easily be taken off and put on.
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-16 7:14 AM (#26636 - in reply to #26612)

Extreme Veteran

If you look at the back doors on semi tailers, you will notice that they have strap hinges, so the door could fold flat against the side. The hinge pin is located where the side and the back meet. If you go to a major hardware store or a truck supply store you should be able to find a strap hinge, the longer part would go on the rear door.  This is a site where you could see what a strap hinge looks like, http://www.vandykes.com/subcategory/67
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-16 7:40 AM (#26639 - in reply to #26612)

Expert

The fork looks to be in good condition, I'd at least keep that (-:

Somebody check me on this; I think that if you put 270 degree hinges on it the hinge pins need to be OUTSIDE the outline of the trailer side and back.
This is a practical geometry thang and right now I can't support my theory, but it seems like the door won't fold flat against the side unless you have the hinge pivot out there.
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-16 8:06 AM (#26641 - in reply to #26612)

Extreme Veteran

Found a better site that show what a strap hinge for a semi looks like

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/pdf/K/dooraccess.pdf

for the door to open 270  degrees the hinge pin has to be at the outside corner.

The only problem with putting butt hinges on the door, and make them removable, you have the possibility of loosing the door when going over rough roads. I speak from experience, my rear curtain doors were hard to open, so I hammered the pin loose, filed it down, and greased them. They opened easily. When I arrived at the show I noticed that one door was missing, drove back and found the door. Then I put a cotter pin in the hinge pin.

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-16 8:52 AM (#26649 - in reply to #26639)

Veteran

My Featherlite has those big strap hinges, and yes, Reg, the pins do sit off the edge of the trailer.  :-

I could not find anything like that in my area (nearest big town is a few hundred miles away).  I'll call Redneck this morning and see if those will work.  The door is set fairly far inside the frame of my trailer - I am not sure if the straps are long enough.

Thanks for the warning about pin hinges...  We do travel lots of washboarded backroads and I would hate to lose the whole door.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-16 11:01 AM (#26664 - in reply to #26612)

Expert

I've been sort of following this... the pictures help a lot. My last 2H had upper doors that did not fold flat against the sides, but they were high enough (and I am short enough) they didn't cause a problem - but I had butt hinges with pins that were not removeable.

A solution that **I** see, is to simply close the door, once the horse(s) is unloaded. It doesn't appear to be a lap door - so you don't have to close the ramp before this one, right? It looks like it has its own latch.  If you need access to the horse area, you could position "stuff" at the back door at the top of the ramp before you close the upper door.

You would have to do a good deal of re-configuration to make that door one that folds back against the side of the trailer because of the way it is recessed into the frame of the back of the trailer. There is what, about 3" of gusset along the edge there at the back corner ??? 

Good Luck with whatever plan you come up with. It does look like a nasty situation.  

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 12:24 PM (#26675 - in reply to #26649)

Expert

You might be able to have a welder "extend" the door to the edge of the trailer or make hinges that would work for it.
NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-16 5:12 PM (#26705 - in reply to #26664)

Veteran

Hi Gabz and Terri,

Yes, the door is about 4" from the edge of trailer.  I think the 12" strap hinges from Redneck will work, but it may require some fabrication/reinforcement. 

To me, it's worth fixing right.  We use my trailer at the CTR events, for an example I weighed in riders and tack at the first ride this year with the scale setup in the back of my trailer.  Left the damnHeadWhackerDoor open all day for that... :-)

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World