'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Protocol for buying a new trailer from a dealer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-16 12:39 PM
6 replies, 4334 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

montanalupine
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-13 12:27 PM (#26456)
Subject: Protocol for buying a new trailer from a dealer

I have never had the pleasure of buying a new trailer from a trailer dealer before.I have found a Kiefer built 2/1 Warmblood trailer that the dealer wants $17.995 for.  It does not have removable mangers, they cost extra.  Now, when I buy a truck from a dealer I usually have discussions with the dealer about how much I am actually going to pay for the truck and of course I want to pay less then the quoated price.  Is this practice also used when buying a new horse trailer?  Should I offer less then the listed price?  & Ask for the mangers to be free?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-06-13 2:15 PM (#26471 - in reply to #26456)
Subject: RE: Protocol for buying a new trailer from a dealer

Extreme Veteran

It never hurts to offer what you are willing to pay. All they can say is no.

-Betty
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 10:54 PM (#26576 - in reply to #26456)

Expert

haggle away! No different than a truck...anyone that tells you different is a dealer. I mean they have to eat but they don't have to eat caviar, right?
OldRookie
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-15 10:42 AM (#26587 - in reply to #26456)

About fifteen years ago, I went through a negotiation class that my employer put several of us through.

The FIRST rule of negotiation is that EVERYTHING is negotiable, and they do mean EVERYTHING.  The best way to turn yourself into a good negotiator is start following that rule.  Negotiate everything from a bottle of wine at a restaurant to a stick of gum at the convenience store. 

Another important rule is, if possible, try to get the other party to throw out the first negotiated number.  The reason for this is, if you squeeze them for the first number, they might give you a number that is more suitable to you than the one you had in mind.  Get the other party to make the first move.

THEN, there's the flinch.  Even if the number is waayy better than you hoped, you have to flinch.  "Man these things are more expensive than I can afford!"  A good negotiator on the other side will say, "Yes, they are indeed expensive."  He will say it with a poker face.  Remember, he might be in trouble about to lose his business and needs the money more than you can know, or he might be a salesman about to lose his job if he doesn't sell something soon.

Never give more information than you have to.  Try to get as much info as you can while giving as little as possible.  Don't let them figure out that you have money in your pocket and just can't wait to buy it.

Also, try your best to keep emotion out of it.  The worst thing you can do when that shiny new car is setting there begging you to fire it up and drive it away, is to start worrying that they won't sell it to you.  For me, this one is hard. I usually research things and find exactly what I want and it's usually something hard to find.  Then it is hard to hammer for the best deal, because these guys do it every day so they can read your emotion.  Keeping a poker face is the hardest, but best thing you can do.  The only time you break the poker face is to flinch.

There are MANY more things involved, but once you finally strike a deal, ALWAYS declare the other party to be the winner. 

Hope this helps,

Doc

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-15 12:45 PM (#26593 - in reply to #26456)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with all the above! I leave an accesory for the end of the negotiation. Like Ok i'll do that price if you include the hitch....or feedbags....or spare tire...or window screens....or even a axle bearing service next year....!

walkergirl
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 12:39 PM (#26678 - in reply to #26456)

And remember the phrase 'everything is negotiable' also means there are factors other than price: if he can't come down on the price, what can he throw in to sweeten the deal? Accessories? Free delivery? Reduced finance charges? Discount on other pruchases? Be creative!
walkergirl
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-06-16 12:39 PM (#26679 - in reply to #26456)

And remember the phrase 'everything is negotiable' also means there are factors other than price: if he can't come down on the price, what can he throw in to sweeten the deal? Accessories? Free delivery? Reduced finance charges? Discount on other pruchases? Be creative!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)