'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
American Spirit

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-18 2:46 AM
15 replies, 14264 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-05 1:02 PM (#24759)
Subject: American Spirit

Elite Veteran

I've been looking at new fifth wheel/living quarters. I like this trailer and realize the higher maintenance because of the exterior(keep it in the barn). My question is that this company is fairly new and I would appreciate any input on the quality/durability of these trailers. I'm leary because it is a "chunk" of money to be shelling out for something that may or may not last a decent ammount of time(proper care and all). They are aluminum skinned and they are eight feet wide(I like that alot). They have an aluminum roof as well. There are alot of extra's I can mention but............Any input/opinions would be really nice to hear.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
LifeIsGood
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-05 1:23 PM (#24762 - in reply to #24759)
Subject: RE: American Spirit

Are you comfortable with the trailer?  Does it feel right in your gut?  If you answer yes, then it may be whats right for you.  Are you concerned with price or cost?  What's the difference right.  Price is what you'll "chunk" out one time, the day you take it home.  Cost is what you'll spend on repairs/upgrades from that day forward.  Sometimes, if it's right for you, putting out a little more than you expected is much less costly in the long run.  Decide how long you plan to have it, how far you plan to haul it, how good your boys/girls are riding in it, how attentive you are to maintaining it (which it sounds like your very caring about your things and think things through thoroughly).  If your planning to trade out of it soon or use it up and not worry about the later.  Resale of a reputable brand will always have a higher return on your investment than something new to the industry but then again, think about the fun you will have with it, isn't that what's truely priceless?  Probably not the kind of input you were looking for but hopefully it gives you something to think about.  Happy trailer hunting!
Grizzly2k1
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-05 10:31 PM (#24770 - in reply to #24759)

These Guys used to work for Bison!They formed their own company called American Spirit. The only thing I don't like about these trailers is the wood floor! If I'm going to buy a Aluminum trailer I want a Aluminum floor. They have a rubber floor you can get instead of the wood. Here is the phone # to the plant that manufactures them. 574-457-5510 they are extremely nice people.  
albert
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-05-06 8:20 AM (#24776 - in reply to #24759)

I bought an American Spirit last year. It is a 2 Horse Bumper Pull, so far I have been pleased with it. It seems to be at least above average quality and I have recieved lots of compliments on the graphics and looks.
The price was very reasonable for the quality. I would recommend American Spirit.
Cowgirl Up
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-05-06 12:37 PM (#24793 - in reply to #24759)

Originally written by Gone on 2005-05-05 1:02 PM

I like this trailer and realize the higher maintenance because of the exterior(keep it in the barn).

What does that mean "higher maintenance because of the exterior"?  I thought that perhaps it would be lower maintenance because it's not steel? 

Not to hijack the thread about A.S....but that comment makes me wonder....most likely my future trailer will have to sit out, at least for a year or two.  What trailer material would weather the storm best, so to speak?

Please forgive my trailer care ignorance.  I have been a lurker for awhile as I gain knowledge from all of you.  I've been doing some research for a GN LQ purchase that will hopefully happen for me in 2006.  Saw the American Spirit at the Hoosier Horse Fair and really liked it.

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-06 2:05 PM (#24797 - in reply to #24759)

Elite Veteran

I don't think anything left out constantly exposed to the elements is good. The exterior has shiney metal on the nose and rear doors.............Nice trailer. Thank you all for the replies. It helps alot.
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-08 11:27 PM (#24866 - in reply to #24759)

Veteran

I just picked my new A.S. up 5/5/05. I love it!!!!!!

The quality for the price is unbeatable! If I had gotten another brand of trailer (name not mentioned), I would have paid  more than 20k more . From looking at what was on lots and at HHF. This trailer came with most things you will pay extra for as options on other trailers.

I didn't camp this week-end but had friends see it in my drive and wanted me to bring it through camp so everyone could see it!

I have looked in friends trailers and the interior of the A.S. is better quality in my mind, cabinets doors meet and are level, handles even, layout,etc.....

This company will work with you.  Do you have a dealer near you? If not, send me a personal post and I will give you the guys name I dealt with. He is in Indiana.

Good luck!!!!

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-09 6:35 AM (#24868 - in reply to #24759)

Elite Veteran

I have a local dealer that I'm working with. I'm just doing research on them and other trailers as well before ordering. There's alot to take into consideration. I don't want to rush into it. Exciting though......
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-05-09 7:25 AM (#24869 - in reply to #24759)

Elite Veteran

inIndiana's new American Spirit sure looked pretty setting there in the driveway. As for the company itself, not very old, but the folks building the trailer have many years of trailer building under their belt. And as those above stated,they are easy to work with to get what YOU want. Hey, inIndiana, next time bring your trailer so we can get some dirt on the floor, and it was nice to meet you at Bettys site.
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-05-09 7:52 AM (#24872 - in reply to #24759)

Veteran

The shiny alum. on the side of the trailer is very pretty.. But you have to be careful cleaning the trailer. It has a coating on it that can stain or be damaged. If you use to harsh of a cleaner it is permanently damaged. Call the number given earlier and ask about what and what not to use to clean it. I know this from expirience, for the dealer that I worked at in the past did damage a few just by using the same cleaner that is used on all of the trailers before a customer takes possession. American Spirit is a very nice trailer for the money. They are very conscious of quality. For they are a new company and want their product to work. This trailer is a good choice. Just educate your self on cleaning it. Any trailer or any thing else that sits in the weather over time will not look new any more and will have to be cleaned. There for just make sure you buy an alum. trailer and rust won't be one of the issues that you will have to deal with.. Good Luck

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-11 2:47 AM (#24967 - in reply to #24759)

Veteran

Thought I'd put my 2-cents worth in again. Don't forget to look at "user-friendly" items on the trailer you are looking at.  With a 8 wide trailer you don't have anything to stand on to reach the handles on the drop down doors.  BUT, American Spirit trailers have the handles half way down on the door so even vertically challenged people like me can reach it. The saddle racks in the back are nice and easy to use. They also have one drain spout for the black and gray water, but two different valves so you only have to put the sewer hose on one time when it comes time to drain your tanks.

Small things like this add up.  Good luck!!

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-11 5:50 AM (#24969 - in reply to #24759)

Elite Veteran

It's nice to hear so many positive replies. I'll definately go through it again and take another look at the "details." I have a good feeling about this trailer. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
haul_n_horses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-05-17 8:15 AM (#25207 - in reply to #24969)

Regular

The perfect product that I have found that cleans our anodized (shiny) aluminum on the sides and the stainless steel on the rear doors and front wrap of goosenecks is a product called wicked products 'Metal Polish' or 'Alumag Chrome'.  They both are really good products and take very very little effort.  You can buy there stuff at http://www.wickedproducts.com/ or at most truck stops.  I hope this helps many of you out.

I am very pleased and excited to hear such praises about our trailers.  Just remember if there is ANYTHING on our trailers that could be improved to be more user and horse friendly please feel free to private message me.  We want to make a safe trailer that is easy to use and will last as long as you will let it last.

Taylor Goon

ttgoon
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-05-17 9:49 PM (#25240 - in reply to #24759)

Hey inindiana:

if you and Ed keep this up I'm sceared your going to start asking for commissions. My wife and I still laugh about the look on your face when she grabbed the cushion in the one trailer and put it in the other at HHF. You were always a welcome site at our booth.

I am really happy for you and I hope you enjoy your trailer for a long time.

Thames Goon  American Spirit

Edited by ttgoon 2005-05-17 9:53 PM
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-18 12:38 AM (#25244 - in reply to #24759)

Veteran

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-18 2:46 AM (#25247 - in reply to #24759)

Veteran

Opps! Sorry about that.

Hey Thames!

I am enjoying my trailer. I took it to Brown Co. this past weekend (in the rain) and in between it raining cats and dogs, I had a few people come up to look at it. One guy lives down the road from me and he said his wife and him had stopped in the drive at home to look at it.  He said he thought it was the best looking trailer on the road today. He just kept saying how it was a beautiful trailer, gorgeous.  And another lady stopped when she saw me outside to say how much she liked it.  She even looked inside and thought it was very well laid out. She loved the horse graphic on the side.

Please tell your wife (I'm sorry I don't remember her name) thanks for all the help with the interior. It does look great if I do say so myself.  Bob even took pics to post for people to look at to get ideas. And the guy in the shop really liked my light in the back.

As for commissions, we might have to work something out for Congress. I'd like to see you pop a wheelie on the golf cart!!

Thanks again for all your help.

Alice

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World