'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
TRAILER SHOPPING: SUNDOWNER SUPER SPORT VS TRAILS WEST ADVENTURE MX

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-11-14 10:52 PM
10 replies, 8332 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

SSR
Reg. Nov 2014
Posted 2014-11-07 2:11 PM (#161445)
Subject: TRAILER SHOPPING: SUNDOWNER SUPER SPORT VS TRAILS WEST ADVENTURE MX

Default TRAILER SHOPPING: SUNDOWNER SUPER SPORT VS TRAILS WEST ADVENTURE MXTHOUGHTS ON TRAILS WEST ADVENTURE MX 2H BP VS SUNDOWNER SUPER SPORT 2H BP?NOTE, I NEED A SMALL TRAILER AS I AM PULLING WITH AN SUV. NO COMMENTS ON THAT DECISION PLEASE.BUT COMMENTS/THOUGHTS ON THE ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES OF THE TWO TRAILER MODELS IN QUESTION WOULD BE WELCOME.HERE ARE LINKS TO THE TWO TRAILERS ALTHOUGH WHERE I WOULD PURCHASE IS STILL UP IN THE AIR.http://www.lufttrailers.com/default....=xAllInventoryhttp://www.double-j.com/2015-trails-...nv-erm|4d.html
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ramona Trailer Gal
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2014-11-07 2:39 PM (#161446 - in reply to #161445)
Subject: RE: TRAILER SHOPPING: SUNDOWNER SUPER SPORT VS TRAILS WEST ADVENTURE MX

I think the obvious difference is that the Sundowner is all-aluminum versus the Trails West which is aluminum skin with steel frame. I believe the stall sizes, etc. are the same.
SSR
Reg. Nov 2014
Posted 2014-11-07 4:46 PM (#161449 - in reply to #161446)
Subject: RE: TRAILER SHOPPING: SUNDOWNER SUPER SPORT VS TRAILS WEST ADVENTURE MX

SSR
Reg. Nov 2014
Posted 2014-11-07 4:48 PM (#161450 - in reply to #161449)

Originally written by SSR on 2014-11-07 2:46 PM

Tks Ramona. But what are the advantages of each. Is all Alyminum and torsion axles worth $1500-2000 more?
Ramona Trailer Gal
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2014-11-07 9:12 PM (#161452 - in reply to #161450)

To some people yes, to others no. If I lived where there is a lot of moisture, I would definitely go all-aluminum. Torsion axles do provide a smoother ride for the horses, but then some people would spend the extra money for it and some others wouldn't. In a 2-horse model, there probably is no weight difference either.
ChopRod
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2014-11-07 9:55 PM (#161454 - in reply to #161445)

If the Trails West has the swing out saddle rack- thats a nice feature. stated weight says 2500# and Sundowner is 2650#. Not sure of exact weight when dealer might be listing factory weight with no options. You'll need to go by actual curb weight.
stall divider looks nicer in the TW.
If you plan on travelling and hauling horses a long distance, torsion axles would be preferred. Dexter EZ Lube are the best IMO Easy to grease the bearings and not have to pull the wheels. If short distances, the spring axle will work.
Believe the TW uses galvaneal steel with polyurethane paint which eliminates the rust issue for the most part. I would also suggest a wood floor. Some will disagree. Aluminum will still corrode over time. There are other topics on here about that issue. Here in Ohio, we try not to go anywhere in winter. Not so much because of the road salt but because of the calcium chloride they mix with it. Very corrosive.
If you can, test drive them hooked to your vehicle. Just because they are both 2H SL, doesn't mean they'll pull the same We have an older Bee all steel 2H SL with escape door and front dressing room with the options like the rear folding tack partition. Personally I don't care much for the rear stall having so much area for the horse to move around. Keep reading and looking. Sounds like you are doing the right thing.
Hope this helps.Just a few random thoughts.
SSR
Reg. Nov 2014
Posted 2014-11-08 12:21 AM (#161459 - in reply to #161445)

Thanks for the feedback and tips all. Much appreciated.
ChopRod
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2014-11-08 1:14 PM (#161463 - in reply to #161445)

Oops- forgot it mentioned the TW was aluminum exterior. SO much for the galvaneal steel comment I made. It wouldn't apply to this trailer.
SSR
Reg. Nov 2014
Posted 2014-11-10 8:47 PM (#161497 - in reply to #161445)

Any thoughts on the interior stall divider latching mechanisms?
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2014-11-12 9:36 PM (#161536 - in reply to #161445)

Expert

Originally written by SSR on 2014-11-07 2:11 PM

Default TRAILER SHOPPING: SUNDOWNER SUPER SPORT VS TRAILS WEST ADVENTURE MXTHOUGHTS ON TRAILS WEST ADVENTURE MX 2H BP VS SUNDOWNER SUPER SPORT 2H BP?NOTE, I NEED A SMALL TRAILER AS I AM PULLING WITH AN SUV. NO COMMENTS ON THAT DECISION PLEASE.BUT COMMENTS/THOUGHTS ON THE ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES OF THE TWO TRAILER MODELS IN QUESTION WOULD BE WELCOME.HERE ARE LINKS TO THE TWO TRAILERS ALTHOUGH WHERE I WOULD PURCHASE IS STILL UP IN THE AIR.http://www.lufttrailers.com/default....=xAllInventoryhttp://www.double-j.com/2015-trails-...nv-erm|4d.html
With what you have listed, SUNDOWNER WOULD BE THE ONLY WAY TO GO! My personal opinion!
Slidinspots
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2014-11-14 10:52 PM (#161576 - in reply to #161497)

Veteran

I looked at a TW that model, that was 1 year old. The dividers were steel and rusting already. I would go with the Sundowner.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)