'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
left side or right side entry doors?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-10-28 2:16 PM
7 replies, 5656 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ChopRod
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2013-10-27 11:45 PM (#155569)
Subject: left side or right side entry doors?

Was wondering why is it on LQ trailers the entry door to the LQ is at times on the left (drivers) side and other times its on the right (passenger) side. What's the rationale behind this? Which is better? Or is it personal preference? Some trailers we have looked at with the left side entry has an awning over it, the escape door and quite often towards the back. This would allow the horse to be under cover as well in case of inclement weather. When the entrance is on the right, there is an awning there but is usually much shorter with no coverage for horses. Haven't seen any with awnings on both sides (at least not yet). Why not an awning on the back since most LQ trailers have a rear tack? Or why not have the rear tack opening to the left side then it could be under the awning if its all set up for the left side? Rain doesn't care if you just arrived at your destination and need to get ready for an event. I've heard that a lot of horse campgrounds have the picnic table area to the right side and want trailers to back in so the road apples are to the back of the spot. Is this true or doesn't it matter? We've only used a slant load bumper pull with no LQ and am looking to move up to a LQ unit. So far we haven't really looked real close at set-ups in horse camping areas available in many of Ohio's state parks. Also, why do all slant loads have horses facing to the left and not to the right? Wouldn't it be safer to have the escape doors, tack doors to the right since more vehicle accidents usually happen on the drivers side? Thanks for any ideas or opinions some of you seasoned equestrians would have regarding these questions/opinions.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2013-10-28 8:54 AM (#155571 - in reply to #155569)
Subject: RE: left side or right side entry doors?

Extreme Veteran

I think it really comes down to personnel preference. There are advantages to all the different configurations. It just depends on how you use your trailer and what you like. I have a tack that swings to the horse side and really like it. My LQ door is on the driver side and I like being able to get out of the truck get into the LQ without having to go around. I'd suggest that you look at the configuration of the LQ and let that drive your choice on which side the door is.
dkhunter04
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2013-10-28 9:14 AM (#155572 - in reply to #155569)

Regular

Our LQ entry door is on the drivers side (left) which allowed more room on the long wall for installing the double sink, stove top, and frig in a user friendly configuration.   Many camping sites are set up for the LQ door to be on the opposite side in regards to electrical outlets, tables, fire rings, etc.   Our configuration places the holding tank dump valves on the passenger side (right) which can create problems since most RV's seem to have them on the drivers side.   We have been able to adapt and when camping with friends our awnings can "meet in the middle" to offer more privacy, extended shade, and weather protection.   In the end it does come down to personal preference and what you find available in your area.   Enjoy the search!
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-10-28 10:21 AM (#155573 - in reply to #155569)

Veteran

Seems to me most manufactures have followed the RV industry, with "curb side" entry doors.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-10-28 10:54 AM (#155576 - in reply to #155569)

Expert

Many trailers with short, short walls will put the door on the street side, (4'-7'). This allows a longer, uninterrupted area on the longer curb side wall of the trailer. In this configuration, even a 4' short wall trailer can have a lav and galley. The longer curb side walls are often broken up with entrance doors, when the need for every inch of space isn't as necessary.

We have trailers with doors on opposite sides. It is nice to have one different from your traveling companions, when you can put up awnings face to face. Other wise you have to park nose to tail, which isn't always possible. The resulting interior layout is more important for us. than which side the door is on.

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2013-10-28 11:03 AM (#155577 - in reply to #155569)

Extreme Veteran

I have to agree that it may be personal preference for the side of the door. Now, how would you for instance open that door into traffic? And horses are located pointing to the left, (traffic side) because the weight works better to the center of the road. Many roads are crowned, and the weight is better on the center of the road handling wise. I personally have a side tack, and find it MUCH easier to use, as the rear is uncluttered, and since my rig has a rear ramp, it would get in the way anyway. As to awnings, I have an awning that covers the entire length of my trailer,( Passenger side), and don't tie my animals under it, as they would tear it apart by knocking the struts out in a heart beat. The other side I use my two port-a-corrals, so it would not cover them anyway. Back east you folks have campgrounds for horses, and they are set up with amenities we don't have much of here in the west. Here we usually camp in places with either no trees to cover or hi line from, or in areas that are far from any other campers anyway. Sort of like perhaps out in the desert rimrock, or up in the timber, or even perhaps just off of the beach.
longearsruletwo
Reg. Feb 2011
Posted 2013-10-28 11:32 AM (#155578 - in reply to #155569)

Regular

In regards to the awnings on both sides, I have seen them on both sides.  The people did set a pen up for the horses under the one on the left side, of course it was set to keep them from messing with the braces on it.  Seemed to work pretty good for them.
Arieldouglas
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-10-28 2:16 PM (#155579 - in reply to #155569)

Veteran

It is mostly personal preference. Like some said, here in the East most of the campgrounds are set up so the site is to the right of the trailer when you back in. And very few give you the option of pulling straight in. Seems like out West you can pretty much set up where you want with little regard as to how the campsites are layed out. We use the canopy for the campsite and put the horses in the shade on a high line or in pens/stalls. I personally never thought about an awning over the tack. It might be handy but if it is raining when we tack up everything is probably going to wind up wet anyway.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)