'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
need to replace mat on horse trailer ramp

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-12-14 3:53 PM
8 replies, 16798 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mchew
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-07-20 11:39 AM (#135873)
Subject: need to replace mat on horse trailer ramp

We have an Exiss 3 H slant stock trailer (GN W/2 ft short wall that we finished with the list's help) that has a factory add on ramp. The mat on the ramp is thin and starting to curl and tear at the fasteners. It is also REALLY slick, even when dry, and we'd like to replace with something a little grippy. I've been looking at online sources to replace it - it looks like we have the "ramp cleat" style. Does anyone have any suggestions of a better mat to use for replacement and a source? I did try an archive search and came up dry. Any help will be appreciated.

thank you so much!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-07-20 11:54 AM (#135875 - in reply to #135873)
Subject: RE: need to replace mat on horse trailer ramp

Veteran

http://www.northamericanmat.com/coco.html

http://thematking.com/business_industry/industrial/animalmats/equine/horse_van_ramp_cocoa_mats.htm

rlc7511
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2011-12-14 1:53 AM (#139511 - in reply to #135873)

New User

I was just curious - what did you end up doing with the ramp on your trailer? The ramp on my 1996 4-Star reverse slant side load ramp is narrow, steep and slippery. What is my best option for increasing the traction? Any ideas anyone?
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2011-12-14 4:19 AM (#139514 - in reply to #135873)

Expert

Would this work for you?  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030C3IHC?tag=guitardiscount.us-20

http://www.coirmats.com/

I have seen ramps with non-skid mats with traction bars across the full width of the ramp, but I don't have any idea where to purchace them.

mchew
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-12-14 6:29 AM (#139515 - in reply to #139511)

We haven't doen anything yet. I liked the idea of the Cocoa mat bu wasn't sure how it would hold up. I like the coir mat that was posted - but I don't want to be dragging it off and on the ramp - I want something to attach to the ramp, so not sure about that. A friend suggested using a long 4 x 4 under the base of the ramp to decrease the angle. So I keep one in the trailer and use it when it rains and the ramp will be slippery. Haven't had a problem so far, but they do have that slight step up onto the ramp when I use it. For the price of the coir mat I might get that and see if we can attach it to the ramp the same way the rubber mat was attached. If it doesn't work we can use it as a door mat in the barn aisle. LOL. thanks for the info.

M

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-12-14 8:29 AM (#139519 - in reply to #135873)

Elite Veteran

Having a number of customers with ramps, we've seen these issues for years. A couple of inexpensive & practical solutions I've seen work well.

We have some folks, especially older trailers with shorter ramps (read- steep) will carry a long 4x4" as was mentioned and lay it lengthwise on the ground to raise the ramp. There's a small step, but it is less steep. A more permenant solution would be to mount a large rubber bumper on the ramp to contact the ground when ramp is dropped.

On a number of ramps, we've installed strips horizontally. We usually rip these down from a 2x4, or using a furring strip. Screwed into the main frame members on the ramp with metal screws. They have a lifespan of only a season or two, but are easy enough to replace. Rubber ones tore. Oak worked well. Pine is easier to get and lasts almost as well as Oak. Usually placed about every 9", so there might be up to 6 on a typical ramp. Metal ones last a lot longer, but are too slick and noisy causing issues with the horse.

RTSmith

rlc7511
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2011-12-14 10:38 AM (#139524 - in reply to #135873)

New User

Thanks for the info. I did try a board under the ramp - so so results. Several of my horses have slipped and had to start over when going up the ramp so I need to do something. Are there any differences in the rubber mats tread pattern or manufacturer that one might work better than another? Anyone have pics of what worked for them? I was thinking of horizontal rubber strips or rubber covered wood strips...? Thanks.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2011-12-14 3:34 PM (#139534 - in reply to #135873)

Extreme Veteran

Great question!    Have you figured anything out yet?  We've got an older Hart BP with a steep ramp... rubber is fraying in some places, mainly around where it's bolted on.  thought about calling Hart and asking if they have a replacement mat but havn't yet.  my only solution is to put more bolts in to hold the rest in place.

rlc7511
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2011-12-14 3:53 PM (#139535 - in reply to #135873)

New User

I like the idea of a permanent rubber bumper mounted on the bottom if the ramp (so it would stick out a little on the side of the trailer but that's ok). How thick should the wood slats be for horizontal traction bars? How high should they stick up to be effective?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)