'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Title, bill of sale, registration...what to do when buying a trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-07-01 6:40 PM
3 replies, 11013 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Chebeau
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2011-07-01 1:38 PM (#135328)
Subject: Title, bill of sale, registration...what to do when buying a trailer

New User

Hi,My husband and I are trailer shopping for a used 2-3 horse bumper pull between $4000-5000. We have run into people not having any/some of the following: title (lots of people do not seem to have one), bill of sale (some have them), and registration.What do we need to have to safely by a trailer from a private seller? Are we better off going to a dealer?We are in Tennessee. Also, my husband wants to make sure the trailers registered since some neighboring states require it.Any info is appreciated.Happy riding!

Edited by Chebeau 2011-07-01 1:39 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cindy Trailer Depot
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2011-07-01 2:39 PM (#135330 - in reply to #135328)
Subject: RE: Title, bill of sale, registration...what to do when buying a trailer

Regular

Find out if your state will title a trailer with a notorized bill of sale instead of a title. The bill of sale should list the year, model, VIN and be signed by the seller. You can download one from the internet or call me and I'll fax you a blank one. Make sure the seller is willing to sign and have notorized that document and you should be good to go. Every state is different so call your tag office first. Cindy, Trailer Depot 877-314-2700.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-07-01 3:40 PM (#135331 - in reply to #135328)
Subject: RE: Title, bill of sale, registration...what to do when buying a trailer

Elite Veteran

Chebau- I understand your concern. It is my understanding that according to TN statue, it is not legal to sell a vehicle in TN without a proper title. However, given that TN is not currently requiring license plate, it happens often.

To answer your question, you need a Bill of Sale as Cindy described. You will also need a valid title. A title is issued by a state, with the current owner's name printed on the front. Be aware- there are a number of folks who have a Certificate of Origin that has been asigned to them, that they received when they bought their trailer. This is not a title! They must take the CofO and Bill of Sale to their respective county office and apply for title (and generally pay sales tax). Then they will have a valid title that they can use to sell it to you. And yes, in the price range you describe, there are a number of units out there without proper paperwork, as it was a way of avoiding taxes.

By the way- where you see that range of areas on the back of a title for "transfer by dealer"- the clerks will not allow individuals to transfer with those blocks. So beware.

As Cindy said, if you have questions, visit your county clerk's office. Do not call, go there in person, with copies of the paperwork. As a rule of thumb, they are helpful but very strictly adhere to these guidelines.

A trailer title is like horse papers- it is the only way to prove it is yours. You can have a Bill of Sale, but when someone else shows up with a title to your "new" trailer, guess whos truck it gets hooked to?

Sorry to rant. But a title is so easy to keep up with, and hard to fix once it gets behind....And we've seen a lot of innocent people have a world of troubles with title issues.
RTSmith
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-07-01 6:40 PM (#135334 - in reply to #135328)

Expert

RT is right.We tried to buy a trailer a couple of summers ago from a very good "friend"of mine.He couldn't come up with a title,but,several different stories later,I learned on my own through some sleuthing that he'd never titled it.I moved on to a better deal but before it was over,had to get an attorney to request downpayment money that I'd given him (while he was supposedly getting his title.) Live and learn.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)