'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How to handle a long distance trailer sale

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-06-29 8:03 PM
3 replies, 3472 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

flyin'horse
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-06-28 4:51 PM (#135234)
Subject: How to handle a long distance trailer sale

I'm thinking of buying a trailer from a private party several states away that I've communicated with for a few months now.  I feel confident in the condition of the trailer and trust the seller as much as I can having never met her.  If I contract with a shipper what's the best way to make the payment to the seller?  Not sure I'm trusting enough to send off a check and hope she doesn't change her mind and just keep my money!! I'm trusting but not naiive.  :)  Has anybody got experience doing this?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2011-06-29 8:14 AM (#135257 - in reply to #135234)
Subject: RE: How to handle a long distance trailer sale

Elite Veteran

The only risk free way I see, is for you and seller to meet together in person. You with hard cash, her with trailer and title. Then you swap. Otherwise- you either gain risk, or you gain expense (by hiring an escrow service you both can trust). I've seen times where she gives you the trailer, but then there's a title issue.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-06-29 4:49 PM (#135276 - in reply to #135234)

Expert

I would utilize a bonded dealer and pay them a service fee for handling the transaction. Any trailer or Car dealer should be  able to handle that. 

Or use a Escrow officer at a title company.  When the title is in their hands and properly signed over, they can wire the money into the sellers account.

Or fly to the sellers location and inspect the trailer, pickup the title and give them their money in person. Have your transport company standing by to haul the trailer off as soon as the transaction is complete.

Be careful of a recent scam.  Where bad people request a replacement title, go get a new loan that encumbers the property,  using the new replacement title as security. When you pick up the trailer, They give you the old title they claimed as being lost.  It doesn't show an encumberance.  When you try to transfer title, you learn from the state that you are second or behind the first lien holder. The first lein holder takes the trailer and you are left trying to find the seller.  Just because you have an official title issued by the state, Doesn't mean a second title hasn't been issued.  Check with the state and make sure the title is clear on their records.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-06-29 8:03 PM (#135285 - in reply to #135276)

Expert

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2011-06-29 4:49 PM

I would utilize a bonded dealer and pay them a service fee for handling the transaction. Any trailer or Car dealer should be  able to handle that. 

Or use a Escrow officer at a title company.  When the title is in their hands and properly signed over, they can wire the money into the sellers account.

Or fly to the sellers location and inspect the trailer, pickup the title and give them their money in person. Have your transport company standing by to haul the trailer off as soon as the transaction is complete.

Be careful of a recent scam.  Where bad people request a replacement title, go get a new loan that encumbers the property,  using the new replacement title as security. When you pick up the trailer, They give you the old title they claimed as being lost.  It doesn't show an encumberance.  When you try to transfer title, you learn from the state that you are second or behind the first lien holder. The first lein holder takes the trailer and you are left trying to find the seller.  Just because you have an official title issued by the state, Doesn't mean a second title hasn't been issued.  Check with the state and make sure the title is clear on their records.

Yet another way for bad people to scam money from an individual...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2011-06-29 8:04 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)