'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
watering horses in a slant load..

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-05-09 5:27 PM
12 replies, 16943 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

snowbuny350
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-25 9:21 PM (#133528)
Subject: watering horses in a slant load..

New User

This may seem like a dumb question, but were going to be making a 14 hr trip with my 4 horses in my slant load. my horse trailer has no windows just the little rows infront of them

thats my trailer..

i plan on having hay bags, but how am i supposed to water them!?

I dont really feel like crawling under them to put water infront of them, and i dont think i could find anything small enough to hold any water for them that will fit thru the slats.. :/ heeeelp!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-04-25 10:45 PM (#133538 - in reply to #133528)
Subject: RE: watering horses in a slant load..

Elite Veteran

Most horses won't drink while traveling. I've wet my hay down... kinda makes a mess in the hay bag though. We've gone 12 hours without them accepting water at rest stops and I have mangers to set a bucket in, they just look at me like "I thought this was the feed bucket?".

I give electolytes several days before a long trip so I know that they have plenty of fluids in them (electolytes will usually increase water intake). And then I offer them fresh water as soon as we get them settled into camp etc.

Keep in mind that some horses are very picky about a new locations water smell/taste and will not drink right away. My horses don't have that problem, but my friends horse does so she just brings 2-five gallon containers and slowly transistions the water to the new water source.

Does your stock trailer have mats? If not, it would be wise to invest in some and also also straw, shavings or other soft absorbant bedding. You'd be surprised at how much heat is transferred from the tires to under the trailer floor. Fly masks would be a good idea too with stock sides or drop down windows.

Are you headed to some where fun? :)

blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-26 6:14 AM (#133542 - in reply to #133528)

Extreme Veteran

If I were traveling that far with my horses I would probably get them off of the trailer at least once to walk them around.  You could try water at that time.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2011-04-26 8:21 AM (#133544 - in reply to #133528)

Expert

We water them good the day before with plenty of salt in the feed and Aloe Vera juice. Horses don't come off trailer until we reach our destination. We offer water at 6 hours into trip, most of the time they won't drink, just want to play and blow bubbles. We keep the hay damp and keep the bags in front of them the whole trip. Evey minute your goofing around with the horses wandering around out of the trailer is a minute you could be rolling to your destination.... Right, wrong or indifferent, that's the way we do it. Never had a sick, stocked up, lame, ill, etc. horse in 40 years of hauling/traveling. We have never hauled over 20 hours before.... Anything much over that and I would overnight at a "horse motel" and split the trip into two days.

PS... Be sure your trailer tires, brakes and wheel bearing are up to the task.

PMKashmir@aol.com
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2011-04-26 8:40 AM (#133547 - in reply to #133528)
Subject: Watering horses in a slant load..

We do a lot of long hauls with our horses & altho I don't like to go much over 6 hours with them in the trailer, sometimes things happen. I offer pieces of apples & carrots which have a lot of water in them. Once, when the trip was way longer than planned, I stopped & bought a jar of applesauce. My mare licked it up like candy & she really brightened up & made the rest of the trip just fine.
snowbuny350
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-26 11:15 AM (#133557 - in reply to #133528)

New User

They will have fly masks, and the trailer has mats too :) We plan on stopping @ around 7 hours, so in the middle of the trip. over night so they get a good rest. I could water the hay, thats a good idea too! Some people on another forum metioned keeping buckets in front of them, but i was a little weary about that...
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-04-26 3:16 PM (#133572 - in reply to #133528)

Extreme Veteran

I regularly travel 6 to 7 hours for competitions. If you are going to stop at that as a half way point then I wouldnt worry about water in the trailer. They will be fine for the 6 to 7 hours they are loaded and hauling. Wetting the hay helps reduce dust and particles flying around as well as keeps thirst down more than just dry hay would. For a 6 hour haul I often do not give hay in the trailer. I make sure they have plenty of free choice hay and water in the hours before I load up.
northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-04-30 9:49 PM (#133697 - in reply to #133572)

Regular

Each of my 2 horses has gone for a 9 hour trip without unloading until reaching our destination with no problems.  I`ve offered water in a bucket when I`m stopping for my rest stops which sometimes is accepted, sometimes not. 

I carry molasses to add to water to tempt them to drink.  Also it`s good to add to "strange" water at your destination if your horses are fussy about the new smell/taste.  In addition to being delicious, molasses is a natural electrolyte so it`s good for them too!

If they`re peeing there`s a good chance that they`re hydrated as what goes in must come out!

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-05-01 11:45 AM (#133712 - in reply to #133528)

Expert

Go buy a bag of beetplup and start adding it to your horses feed a few days before.  We use it everyday now since it gets so hot down here.  We have a supplement bucket with a lid that snaps down we use.  I put a half of bucket of beetplup and add water to just about cover the plup and let it set an hour and it expands to fill the bucket and we just feed 1 cup to every horse on a daily basis.  I bucket last us 3 days feeding 13 horses and 3 donkeys.

Really helps keeps then hydrated.

Don't forget your flymask, on a trip that long your horses eyes will really like you for it.

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2011-05-01 3:58 PM (#133722 - in reply to #133528)

Veteran

I have hung buckets in my trailer with water in them while travelling... each horse gets a hay bag and water bucket.  You could do that and then with each stop peek in thru the holes to see if they need more water.  If so, then put a hose in and fill..

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-05-06 10:57 AM (#133889 - in reply to #133528)

Veteran

northernmom,

How do you get the molasses to mix in with the water.  Isn't it really thick?

northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-05-08 9:48 PM (#133949 - in reply to #133889)

Regular

Yes molasses is quite thick, but I`ve never had a problem.  You`d want to stir it up abit but it should have no problem dissolving. 

Also tossing a few pieces of apples and or carrots into the water bucket might peak their interest in getting their noses into the bucket!

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-05-09 5:27 PM (#133998 - in reply to #133528)

Elite Veteran

I recently trailered to south TX for a chance to ride the Big Bend area.. My google maps underestimated the time for the trip and a 9 1/2 hour trip was actually closer to 13. I was also worried about watering my mare. I put a small flat-back feed-type bucket with a handle in the corner where the feed bag would go and strapped it to the corner feeder rings and to the head divider bars. I put her hay bag to the left. I couldn't tell if she drank much, or if the water loss was from sloshing, but at least it was available to her. One small benefit was that hay invariably fell into the water and was also there for her to munch, if she desired. Despite the excruciatingly long trip, she unloaded looking no worse for wear and was in fine shape for a short ride the next morning. I don't know if it was the best thing to do, but I was by myself and didn't want to lose time or risk her suddenly deciding she'd had enough of loading for the day..(I usually have no problem with her loading, but you never know what will pass thru their minds.) That is the way I did it and we were OK
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)