'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Chevy Silverado questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-14 4:30 PM
5 replies, 4727 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TBchick
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-03-13 8:06 PM (#131601)
Subject: Chevy Silverado questions

Regular

Hi all. I looked around for a good Chevy forum, but cannot find one that looks good. You guys seem to know your trucks, so here goes.

I recently bought a 2000 Silverado 2500 with the 6 liter engine. I'm already loving it. Picked up my trailer yesterday and can't even feel it back there. Granted it's a 2 horse aluminum trailer, so my truck a tad overkill, but I'd rather have it that way than too small. Anyway, there's a few issues question/issues that I hope you all can help me with.

1. A few times I've seena "tow mode" light go on. What is that and I do need to use it?

2. Gas guage does something weird. Unless the truck is in gear, it thinks there's no gas in the tank. After about 10 minutes of driving, it eventually makes it up to the actual level, but it is annoying. Is there any chance it will actually think there is no fuel and stall? I'm thinking since this truck was only driven approx 5,000 miles a year since 2000, that it's some sort of clog, but really have no clue where to start looking.

3. My otherwise spotless truck has a surface scratch on the hood. Any way to buff that out without damaging the clear coat?

4. Some of the black rubber weatherstripping has worked it's way loose in the doorways. What can I use to reattach it?

5. I'm looking for a soft tonneau cover that uses velcro instead of the one that's currently on there with snaps. Any brand advice?

6. When I hooked up the trailer yesterday, the safety chains are a bigger than the holes they go through, so they're only on there by their fingertips. Is that enough, or should I change the head of the chains to something smaller?

7. I had to change the battery, so now my theftlock feature on my radio is locked. I tried the press 1 & 4 button thing since I have the 4 digit code from the previous owner, but nothing happens. I saw a different procedure where you press 2 & 3. Should I try that one?

Thanks in advance guys. Just a gal here with very little truck experience. This truck has some serious stones, but it definitely comes with a bit of a learning curve.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2011-03-13 9:48 PM (#131605 - in reply to #131601)
Subject: RE: Chevy Silverado questions

Veteran

1. Tow Haul can be turned on with the button on the end of the gear shift.  It should be used when you are towing a trailer or heavy load that will make the truck struggle.  I have a 2002 with the 6.0 gas and I don’t use it when I tow a small trailer but do use it when I am pulling my large goose neck.  Tow Haul changes the shift points of the transmission causing the engine to pull harder and is better for the truck.
  2. Gas gauges are expensive to fix.  It may just be a loose wire but if it is the sending unit you will have to pull the fuel tank.  Me, I would just live with it.
  3. Go to an auto parts store and ask what they have that can fix it, buy that.
  4. When at the auto parts store ask for weather stripping adhesive.
  5. I have no advice to offer other than go to a place that sells truck caps and see what they have.
  6.  Change the chain, they must be securely attached to the truck.
  7. I have the same issue with my pass lock.  I have taken it to a dealer a few times to get it unlocked, they do it for free and it takes only a few seconds for them to do it.  I think the last time they did it I just had them turn the feature off so it will not happen again.  I have not had to do anything with it for over 6 years.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-03-13 10:30 PM (#131608 - in reply to #131601)

Expert

1) Tow mode should be used when towing your trailer.  Should be the little switch on the end of the shift lever.

2) A bad problem with most GM trucks, is more than likely the sending unit in the fuel tank.  I would deale with it until you need to replace the fuel pump or go ahead and replace the fuel pump and sending unit now.

3) Most auto parts stores will have a polising compund for clear coat vehicles.  Do not use a rubbing compound unless you have someone that is in the detail buisness and knows what they are doing.

4) Weather strip adhesive also from your local parts store. (get the clear 3M brand in a red and white tube)

5) NO clue I never used a soft cover.

6) Yes change the ends of the chains if possible.  This is a must!

7) Read the manual and since it is a 4 dig. code you will need all 4 dig. not just the 1&4 buttons.  Or find a GM dealer to unlock it and find out about how to disable that feature.  No body steals factory stereos any more unless they have the NAV system on them.

d2allen
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-03-14 10:51 AM (#131632 - in reply to #131601)

Tonnau Cover Question:What I recommend is the Access Literider Roll Up Tonnau Cover. I had one of these on the truck I just sold, and will be getting another one when my new truck arrives. It has the velcro strip along the rails, easy to install, easy to open and close, low profile, and looks nice. The only down side is that the brackets make the bed a few inches narrower and prevented me from putting my Pacific 2 wheel cart in the bed. d2allenhttp://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/60A1583A0A0.aspx
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2011-03-14 3:56 PM (#131645 - in reply to #131601)

Extreme Veteran

A good forum for GM pickups is http://www.fullsizechevy.com/

I don't have too much to add to what's been said already.

5. I second the advice on the Access brand tonneau cover.

6. You could add one threaded "repair" link of bigger chain to your hitch, and then hook your safety chain hooks into that.

Edited by jdzaharia 2011-03-14 3:59 PM
TBchick
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2011-03-14 4:30 PM (#131647 - in reply to #131601)

Regular

I knew I asked the right folks. Thanks guys!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)