'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New LQs Cheap Looking?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-14 10:36 AM
9 replies, 7359 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-03-13 5:59 AM (#131585)
Subject: New LQs Cheap Looking?

Extreme Veteran

First of all I must admit I never really paid much attention to the LQs in horse trailers but after buying an LQ last year it has almost become an obsesion, my friends tease me that my trailer is my clubhouse becuase I am always doing something with the trailer.  Last year we bought a new to us 2001 Exiss 3 horse with a midtack and an 8 foot short wall, you can see a few pictures here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2068610&id=1125666917&l=c5789a37bd , we paid $17k for the trailer, great condition, everything works...it certainly fits our needs at a price we could afford.  The interior in the LQ is really nice, in my opinion, cabinet doors are real wood, nice window dresssings, nice appliances, etc. 

Yesterday the kids and I went the the Nebraska Horse Expo, the kids are always excited to explore the LQs at the show.  There was one super nice trailer, custom interior, slide out, the works....it was a $98,000 trailer.  In addition to that there were another half a dozen trailers with LQs, an Exiss, Trails West, and a couple of others.  Most priced around $35k to $40k.  I am not going to tell you that my trailer looks like the $98k trailer but I would sure take it over the trailers I saw, they just looked really cheap on the inside.....looked like they bought the cheapest wood, fixtures, appliances, and fabric they could find.

Again I haven't looked at a lot of new trailers but am wondering if this is the way they are built?  Is it a case of....they don't build them like they use to?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2011-03-13 8:47 AM (#131587 - in reply to #131585)
Subject: RE: New LQs Cheap Looking?

Extreme Veteran

I think it depends. I looked at all the living quarters trailers here at Horse World Expo in PA a few weeks ago. There were some of every level- entry level, mid-range, and top of the line. I saw some with really nice interiors and some you couldn't pay me to own!

I think some dealers are ordering in less expensive trailers because that's where demand is now. Customers are not spending like they used to, nor can they get financing as easily as before. I also think that is why most trailer manufacturers are offering living quarters trailers that are somewhat scaled back- shorter short walls, 6'8"- 7'6" widths, and less expensive cabinetry and interiors. I've seen websites from dealers here in PA that have NEW inventory from 2007 still in stock. They are gorgeous trailers, but in this economy I don't think the $60K plus trailers are selling like they have in the past.

My husband and I bought a Hart Medallion living quarters trailer last year. It has a great conversion package- all wood cabinets, soft touch walls, a lot of the little "extras". It is not as big as we would like, but it was affordable and comfortable and will be paid for in a relatively short period of time. We financed through a loacl bank and did not take out the standard 10-15 year loan that is typical with a living quarters trailer. We don't feel like we sacrificed on the quality of the trailer interior or the structural soundness.

Would I like "more" trailer? Yes, but I also do not want a bigger or longer payment, so I'm best to appreciate and be thankful for what I have!!!

AirborneTed
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-03-13 9:05 AM (#131588 - in reply to #131585)

I am in the market for a new LQ.  I currently own a Bison trail express 6910, a relatively cheap trailer with a cheaply made interior.  The one I own has particle board cabinets, plastic water fixtures, etc.  The appliances are good quality though.  The construction of the trailer is good and solid.  Never had a problem.

I am looking to buy a new trailer in the 50-60k range.  Have looked at some repo Sundowners, Lakota, and Bison.  All are all aluminum which increases the cost but not necessarily the quality inside. The Sundowners are very nice inside with soft touch walls, hardwood cabinets, real water fixtures, etc, but the cost is 10k-20k more, if you are lucky enough to find a repo.  The Lakota Charger is a standard trailer that has hard wood cabinets, ok fixtures, etc but definetlety not what one would call luxuroius.  The Lakota Big Horn top line trailer, however, has soft touch walls and ceilings, upgraded cabinets, real porcelain toilet.  Very nice.  I also looked at some Platinum with their top of the line interior that was similar to the Sundowner.  Some people are Sundowner people so that is their standard like a friend of mine who only talks about Sundowners when asked about what to buy.  He has always owned them so that is his standard. 

I decided on a Bison Stratus with a 12 foot slide out, 16 ft SW because we wanted the space.  Interior is solid wood cabinets, lots of options, cabinets, window dressings, etc in the 55k range. 

Bottom line.  You get what you pay for.   If you want a really nice trailer that is well built and luxurious, go for a high end trailer but be ready to pay for it.

Edited by AirborneTed 2011-03-13 9:07 AM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-03-13 9:40 AM (#131590 - in reply to #131585)

Expert

As a home builder, I have had to cut back what goes into most homes.

The cost of materials going into a house have not gotten cheaper. concrete has still taken it's annual jump in price, Steel is as much if not more than it was 3 years ago, appliances have not gone down in prices. when I bid a new home built the way I used to build them, I come in $30,000 to $50,000 more than the appraisals.  Folks accuse me of cheating them, With questions of "why are charging more for the house than what it appraises for"  Gone are the days of building $700,000 homes and now folks aer buying $350,000 homes.

Bottom line is I've had to find ways to build the house for less money. And that frequently means going to lower quality materials or removing items that use to be standard and making them optional. We have had to back off from the more expensive woods like hickory and cherry and return to using Oak and Alder,  We have returned to using more carpet and less hardwood and tile floors.   The appliances we spec in are more GE, Maytag and less Kitchen Aid, Bosch, Thermador. Instead of 100 can lights built in homes are getting 10-12. Houses have became less complex, simpler designs and smaller.

I suspect the same concept applies to the horse trailer business. Manufactures are in the business of building trailers. If people won't buy $70,000 trailers, They probably need to build some $40,000 trailers to just stay in business. and keep their employees working. The steel or aluminum that you build a trailer from hasn't gotten cheaper, So all they can do is make the trailers smaller. less complex, and not put as much inside the trailer.

The dealers and manufactures have probably learned that those who can really afford all the options will still order the trailer built the way they want it. But the majority are going to settle for something less.

RAF
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-03-13 10:01 AM (#131591 - in reply to #131585)

Regular

We have found in the past 2 years that customers are buying the larger more expensive trailers and are not even looking at the less expensive trailers . we have units that cost $16,000.00 up to $100,000.00 . We can't get anyone to even look at the cheaper units but we are selling $80,000.00 units every week . Horsetrailersfactorydirect.com
Good Luck With Your Shopping
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-03-13 5:05 PM (#131597 - in reply to #131591)

Veteran

Wow, it's good to hear that there is at least one dealer is selling big units and making money. I guess the economy around Ohio is better than the most of the country? I guess the trick is to not handle the big brand name trailers and sell something no one has heard of.
RAF
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-03-13 6:14 PM (#131598 - in reply to #131585)

Regular

We sell straight from the Factory . No dealer mark up . And most of the trailers we build are going out west . We found the internet to be the best selling tool for us and to let the customers have the savings . Customers come to the plant every week take a tour and place orders . With all manuf. you have to build units that cost less . Manuf. cost stay the same on everything you build and are going up daily , the only thing that can be done is to use less costly mtls. in the past 30 days product cost have gone up around 10% . Look for alot of dealers to raise the price . That is why alot of builders are going out of buisness . All we can do is hope the economy gets better for every one .
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2011-03-14 8:32 AM (#131620 - in reply to #131598)

Veteran

We sell factory direct also.  Our solid wood cabinets in our LQ are far superior to some of the cheaper brands.  On our last visit to the World Horse Expo in Maryland, customers raved about the quality of the LQ vs the cheaper brands.  Raw material costs aren't going down though, but selling factory direct allows us to absorb some of the rising costs.

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct and $ave at DoubleDTrailers.com

Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-03-14 10:27 AM (#131626 - in reply to #131591)

Veteran

Originally written by RAF on 2011-03-13 10:01 AM

We have found in the past 2 years that customers are buying the larger more expensive trailers and are not even looking at the less expensive trailers . we have units that cost $16,000.00 up to $100,000.00 . We can't get anyone to even look at the cheaper units but we are selling $80,000.00 units every week . Horsetrailersfactorydirect.com Good Luck With Your Shopping
Your trailers sure look a lot like Keifer's. Are they a private label product or your own design?
RAF
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-03-14 10:36 AM (#131628 - in reply to #131585)

Regular

We build from scratch to finish all at 1 location . We sell more solid wood units the Royals and build up to a 23 ft short wall . but sell more 17 ft. short walls then every thing else combined .
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)