'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What to do?? Need some opinions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-23 5:36 PM
3 replies, 2592 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Holy350
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-08-22 10:37 AM (#123910)
Subject: What to do?? Need some opinions

Im buying another trailer tomorrow.  Im only buying it to fix it up and turn a profit.  Its an older gooseneck stock trailer.  Needs to be rebuilt,(new floor, lights,wiring,paint  all the usual stuff)  Its a stock trailer but could hold up to 6 horses if put on a slant.  Heres where I need some opinions.  The previous owner converted it to a 2 horse with a slant divider and made the front 2/3 of the trailer living quarters.   The LQ is in shambles though.  Completly homemade and in terrible shape.  My thoughts are to gut all of it out and make it back into a complete stock trailer.  I think it would be cheaper and I could return a bigger profit.   Not sure though.  Should I gut it or spend the time rebuilding the LQ?  Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-08-22 11:26 AM (#123913 - in reply to #123910)
Subject: RE: What to do?? Need some opinions

Regular

After my husband and I put in a weekend package on our trailer last winter, I have a whole new appreciation of the time and effort required. I personally wouldn't buy an older steel trailer for very much money, even if the living quarters was in good shape, because I'd have concerns about the upcoming rust and structural problems. So I wonder how much profit you'll make for all the work when it comes time to resell an older trailer with living quarters.

In our case we did all the work ourselves, kept things very basic, didn't put in furnace, air, running water, holding tanks, etc and still spent about $2500. And it took us about 4 weeks of part-time work with two of us to get the job done.

The costs of simply making the trailer back into a stock trailer would likely be lower, therefore there should be more potential for coming out ahead.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-08-22 12:25 PM (#123914 - in reply to #123910)

Expert

Turn it back into a stock trailer, for sure.
foundation horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-08-23 5:36 PM (#123962 - in reply to #123910)

Turn it back into a stock trailer due to the lack of RVIA Certs on the homemade LQ..............
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)