'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Thos of you who run LT tires on your trailers!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-27 8:03 AM
5 replies, 3949 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FL_BWAB
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2010-07-26 7:24 PM (#122817)
Subject: Thos of you who run LT tires on your trailers!!!

After two blowouts within an hour of each other on the way home from GA I figured it was time to replace my tires...I have done A LOT of research on tires in attempt to prevent the above situation from EVER happening again! I decided on the BFG Commercial T/A's since I run the traction T/A's on my 350 and LOVE them. After much reading on the internet I found people saying that the LT tires made their trailer sway and the sidewalls were too soft for the tight turns we make in our 5th wheels. NOW im sooo confused on what to buy!

What is yall's experience with LT tires...I have a 2005 Exiss 6 Horse with an aftermarket weekender. Any opinions at this point would be great!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-26 8:04 PM (#122822 - in reply to #122817)
Subject: RE: Thos of you who run LT tires on your trailers!!!

Expert

Originally written by FL_BWAB on 2010-07-26 8:24 PM

After much reading on the internet I found people saying that the LT tires made their trailer sway and the sidewalls were too soft for the tight turns we make in our 5th wheels. NOW im sooo confused on what to buy!

What is yall's experience with LT tires...I have a 2005 Exiss 6 Horse with an aftermarket weekender. Any opinions at this point would be great!

I can't offer advice about 5th wheel hitches. I can say that for GN and BP trailers, LT truck tires work very well indeed. Never a blow out, never any unusal swaying, only stable and accurate towing under every condition. If a tire has enough side wall for a 3 - 4 ton vehicle, whilst steering it through corners at highway speeds, it will have little difficulty pulling down the road. In addition, it will usually die of old age before it wears out.

Most tires will suffer at slow speeds while the trailer is being jack knifed, regardless of its type. A bias ply tire will not drag on the sidewall as much as a radial during this maneuver.

Do a search on LT tires and you'll find many advocates within this forum. Most owners run them at their max inflation rates. I for one recommend their usage, and would not have a horse trailer equipped with anything other than a LT truck tire. If they're good enough for my truck, they'll work on the trailer as well.

FL_BWAB
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2010-07-26 9:02 PM (#122824 - in reply to #122817)

Thanks...I did mean GN and not 5th wheel though...I have a 5th wheel RV and got confused for a sec there. I was thinking the same thing...they are great on the truck..I suppose worse case senerio I could always put them on my truck at a later date if I dont like them on the trailer.

Zoe
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-07-27 7:42 AM (#122838 - in reply to #122817)

Regular

We had a similar situation recently on our 2006 - 3 horse 10 ft LQ trailer that we just purchased in April.  It had Firestones on it that looked like brand new and we made it home from Alabama to PA empty with no problem.  First trip, we loaded horses & blew a rear driver side tire in driveway - looked like someone had slashed sidewall - went to F/S dealer & also took one of the other tires (just to have it checked) - they matched the tire & said everything OK & couldn't site reason it blew.  Going camping Memorial Day & left at 4AM, still dark & traffic came to halt & truck driver came back & said he had been trying to call us on CB (we hadn't turned it on) asked if we knew we had blowout on trailer?  Husband & I looked at each other?  This time it was front driver side & again the sidewall blew) Trucker said we would be stopped for about an hour so we pulled off on shoulder & changed the tire.  We were so thankful since we never felt the tire blow & don't know how long that other tire might have carried the load by itself, even though it was new.  We felt God was really watching over us.  After that I also did a lot of research - Firestones were an E load (10 ply) & "plate on trailer"  called for an F load (12 ply).  I also read info in this forum and spoke to people with trailers bigger than mine & wound up buying Goodyear G614 (LT235/85R16G - G load 14 ply) ww.Goodyear.com/RV/Products.  These tires are made for trailers.  When I went to pick up my trailer, they were still mounting them & I was able to see the difference in the sidewall and there was no comparison.  The sidewall on this Goodyear is really thick!  We are running the Firestones on the front of our F-350 and they are fine there but our conclusion was that they were just not a heavy enough tire (sidewall) for the trailer.  One of our friends has an 01 Sundowner 4H/LQ & the G/Y was the original tire & he still has them on and he probably has about 40,000 miles on his trailer.  The other issue was proper inflation & plate on trailer says F Load - 80 PSI, however, we did have the tires properly inflated to 80PSI. Goodyear's are either 100 or 110 PSI (can't remember but it's on the tire) & we were advised to inflate to what tire calls for.  I am sure you will receive a lot of good advice from the experts on this site but just wanted to share our experience & hope it helps.  When you are pulling that much weight & have horses on board, you don't want to worry about blowouts.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-07-27 7:49 AM (#122839 - in reply to #122817)

Elite Veteran

Ok, I have read opinions on this a lot. I am buying tires for our 8000 lb. axle trailer. One last time, what tires should I get? Sorry for hijacking the thread.....

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-07-27 8:03 AM (#122840 - in reply to #122839)

Expert

Originally written by Gone on 2010-07-27 8:49 AM

Ok, I have read opinions on this a lot. I am buying tires for our 8000 lb. axle trailer. One last time, what tires should I get? Sorry for hijacking the thread.....

If they are 16" wheels, I would spend the cash and purchase these.... They only come in one size. They are what I ran on our 6 horse head to head with 8000# axles. Rated at 3750# at 110 psi. Be sure your rims will support 110 psi.

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf

There are a few imported 236-85R-16 tires that are rated at 3500 and 3750 pounds, but I wouldn't mount them on a trailer wheel if they were free.

If your trailer has 17.5' wheels, then that opens up a large assortment of available tires.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)