'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Refrigerators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-30 11:13 AM
3 replies, 2958 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-30 2:41 AM (#120730)
Subject: Refrigerators

Extreme Veteran

I am interested in knowing what to look for in a refrigerator and what's available in the lower end of the price range.

I expect to put some type of weekend package in my 4 foot shortwall trailer.  I don't want to spend much money on a refrigerator if I can help it and am really more interested in having a freezer than the refrigerator portion. 

I would think that I don't need something that is large.  I do have a honda 2000 quiet generator.

Any suggestion on features or brands?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-05-30 9:52 AM (#120731 - in reply to #120730)
Subject: RE: Refrigerators

Regular

In my area there doesn't seem to be any reasonable priced options on RV fridges. Years ago we had a small, old holiday trailer with a fridge that needed replacing. It would have cost us $850 to buy a refurbished fridge for that trailer, and it was one of those tiny fridges with a tiny freezer. A new RV fridge would have cost over $1000 at that time. Now, if you could find a used RV fridge that would be ideal - there are places that sell used parts, normally taken from RVs that are in accidents. Otherwise I'm not sure if you want to invest that much money, or not.

When we did our 4' shortwall living quarters this winter, we decided against spending that sort of money. Instead we went to Wal-Mart, and for about $140 we bought a small bar fridge. This was the sort of money we wanted to spend, and since I use my weekend package at horse shows, I can almost always count on being plugged into electricity. If you will normally be plugged in, then this might be a good option for you. You also mentioned you have a decent generator. The generator could run your bar fridge as well, so perhaps this will be the route you choose to go.

Next time I get a bar fridge I will go with one slightly bigger than what we bought, though. Our fridge is really small, so if I'm staying longer than two nights its tough to fit everything in. One thing that helps is - I bring a cooler and put all my pop and juice there instead of filling my fridge with that sort of stuff.

The freezer part in our fridge is tiny, and probably not large enough for your wants, either. A slightly larger bar fridge would give you a bit bigger freezer, and even that might not be enough. I guess you could always consider buying a tiny chest freezer and putting that in the trailer instead of a fridge. It too would run on electricty only, and the costs would be only a few hundred.

I'll be curious to see if anyone knows of reasonable priced RV fridges - perhaps we could have done better if we'd shopped around more.

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-30 11:05 AM (#120733 - in reply to #120730)

Extreme Veteran

You are absolutely right that I don't want to spend a lot of money on a refrigerator.  Are the little thermoelectric refrigerators good enough?  Of course those don't come with a freezer, I'm sure. 

I will look at the little bar refrigerators. 

Are refrigerators expensive because they are three-way?  How long can they be off and remain cold inside?  I don't think  I even know how to use one well.  

Thanks for your suggestions.    

Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2010-05-30 11:13 AM (#120734 - in reply to #120730)

Extreme Veteran

IF I decide I need another one, I will replace the 3 way with a slightly larger bar fridge. If I go somewhere I need electric, I will just bring a cooler. But I don't see that happening since I am such a wimp and have to have AC and TV.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)