'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need Advice - Buying a trailer was made by a mfg no longer in business???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-12 9:01 PM
7 replies, 3873 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kim huck
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-12 7:44 AM (#120039)
Subject: Need Advice - Buying a trailer was made by a mfg no longer in business???

Hi everyone,

I found a trailer that has almost all of the qualities I have been looking for BUT the mfg is no longer in business. Should I just keep looking?  The trailer is all aluminum. 

Does the mfg being out of business automatically make the trailer less valuable right off the bat?  What about resale value?   I'm guessing that anything under warranty would be right out the door.  The trailer is 5 years old so not sure if there would be anything covered under warranty anyway.

I'm confused as to what to do.  Your advice greatly appreciated.  I don't want to get stuck with a trailer I can't sell down the road.  I suppose I could always trade it in but I try to always sell as an individual to get the most bang for the $$.

Kim

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-05-12 9:30 AM (#120042 - in reply to #120039)
Subject: RE: Need Advice - Buying a trailer was made by a mfg no longer in business???

Veteran

Welcome to HTW!  It will depend on what company your are talking about.  Some companies go out of buisness and then are bought by others and re-opened.  While the warranty isn't there you would at least have a source for parts and service if you need it.  If the company is gone, gone then you will need to consider whether or not the extra head aches are going to be worth the price.

As far as it being worth less because of the companies history, I'm not so sure that is affected by it.  From my short time being on this site, it seems to me that the prices are very subjective.  The same trailer could have $$$$'s of difference depending on who is selling it and where they are located.  Very few manufacturers report any kind of value to Kelly Blue Book or the NADA which truck dealers and RV dealers use to set their prices.    Just my 2 cents...

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-12 9:34 AM (#120043 - in reply to #120039)
Subject: RE: Need Advice - Buying a trailer was made by a mfg no longer in business???

Expert

Whenever you purchase a used product, you have an advantage over the first owner. After some use, the item will show the affects of age and wear. The new time buyer is not privy to this exposure, and can only see the shine and glitter. After it has been used, it can then be evaluated on how well it has weathered the years' of service.

If it is in good condition now, two results are evident. It was well maintained and the construction materials were good. If things are broken, if it looks ratty and neglected, more concern should be used in a second look.

The first inspection should be to evaluate the structure. The frame, its welds, the flooring and roof all should be scrutinized. Then, every door, window and vent should be opened; the latches, hinges and fit within the frames are important.

These are sometimes custom products used by the individual builders. If they are broken or missing, finding replacement parts can sometimes be difficult or impossible to obtain. Having a custom door fabricated can be an expensive proposition. The running gear, lights etc are usually standard items, and can be sourced from many suppliers. If it's a LQ, most of the appliances are standard equipment, made by various manufacturers.

If the trailer is complete and in good repair, it can be considered a candidate for purchase. Because it's an orphan, the value will be less than that of an active business. Price for comparable trailers of other brands, and then discount this pricing by a few thousand dollars.

I've owned many items of businesses that were defunct. If you know what you have, it's condition and the ability to be repaired, then there is no reason to exclude its viability. It may be very worth while, or it may be junk. Take a knowledgeable person with you to evaluate its condition; don't base your decision solely upon the seller's glib. Plan on a worse case scenario; new brakes, tires, battery maybe replacing one appliance. Add that cost to your purchase price, and you will have a fairly good idea of your total expenses.

kim huck
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-12 9:42 AM (#120046 - in reply to #120039)

Thanks so much.  Very good advice.

I have not seen the trailer in person yet because I was trying to decide whether or not to even make the trip.  It sounds like it's probably worth the trip (a 3 hours drive) to at least give the trailer a good going over to check out the quality of it.  It's not an LQ so I at least don't have those issues to worry about.  I'm more concerned about the structural integrity for sure. 

buyshadow
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-05-12 10:01 AM (#120049 - in reply to #120039)

Regular

Sent you a private message! Might have just what you are looking for right here in FL! Email me as well michele@buyshadow.com
spades
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-12 3:35 PM (#120068 - in reply to #120039)

New User

If the trailer is a C&C, because that is one I know went out of business I would definately make the trip to look at it, they are excellent trailers and I wouldn't be scared to buy one.  Very well built and structurally sound.

Good luck

TT's
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-05-12 7:19 PM (#120079 - in reply to #120039)

Like Spades said if it is a C&C I wouldn't be worried about looking at it because it is a well made trailer. If it is used and older than 5 years you wouldn't have any warranty anyway. Take a look at it and see what you think. We have one on our lot that we just took in on trade without any second thoughts.
kim huck
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-12 9:01 PM (#120083 - in reply to #120039)

Thanks so much for all of the help you guys! 

I ended up passing on the trailer not because of the mfg being out of business but because it had a fixed rear tack.   We have other hobbies and interests so we need to be able to have a removable, collapsible rear tack.  After talking with so many different people I did end up feeling comfortable aout purchasing an "orphan" trailer (I loved Gard's words) but it's not without it's risks but then purchasing any trailer always has it's risks (and rewards too!.

Thanks again.

Kim

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World