'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
"Gummy" Paint on Ceiling of Trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-11 12:10 PM
1 replies, 3208 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

CamdenLab
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-10 5:44 PM (#119997)
Subject: "Gummy" Paint on Ceiling of Trailer

New User

Just purchased a used 1988 Charmac two-horse.  Used, but covered and taken care of.  Rust is very minimual, just surface.

The worst of it is the ceiling.  There is loose paint and some peeling, with surface rust spots here and there.  The rust comes off easily with steel wool. 

Strangely, the areas where the paint is OK, there are "shadowy" gray spots that look a little like mildew.  The spots missing paint have the surface rust and when I scrub them on the outer edges, I notice a "gummy" coat of something under the thin coat of paint.  The "gummy" stuff is black. 

Is this perpetually damp paint/primer that needs to dry out?  Did the previous owners re-paint the ceiling and use the wrong primer? 

I'm going to take some milew remover or bleach to see if the "shadowy" spots come off.  If they do, I will assume they are mildew spots.  But, why would it be mildewy?  Condensation?

I will find out if there are leaks today.  It has been dry out and last night and today it's been pretty rainy, so I will look for wet areas in the trailer and see if the ceiling has a lot of condensations.

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-11 12:10 PM (#120006 - in reply to #119997)
Subject: RE: "Gummy" Paint on Ceiling of Trailer

Extreme Veteran

That is oxidation of the paint.  Soon, the oxidation will be of the metal and that is rust.  This is my understanding.

There are several auto sites that give instruction on how to handle oxidation.  Here's one link, but it is one of many:

http://www.properautocare.com/resduloxpain.html

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)