'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ideas on new used truck to haul GN

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-04 1:32 PM
4 replies, 2743 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

chill
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-04 8:34 AM (#119693)
Subject: Ideas on new used truck to haul GN

New User

I have a 92'ish Sundowner Gooseneck trailer.  Finally looking at replacing my GMC2500 (94) with something a bit newer.  I am looking for a 2500, automatic with a V8 4X4, gas.  I will likely haul a trailer only 1,200 miles a year and the truck will be used for short trips around town (hauling hay, wagons, tools, etc.)  My questions are:

What gear ratio for my rear end should I be looking at?  I need a work truck, my GMC is geared high and I have to put it in four wheel drive to start a wagon on clay ground (annoying).  Is one particular brand showing its worth more than another? I will likely be looking for something with low miles and about a 2005.

The thing that really worries me is the clearance on my trailer.  I have a 6 foot bed with a club cab now and have never had a problem.  I would like to stay with the short box.  The goose hitch should be placed where in realation to the axle?  Recommended clearance from the hitch to the back of the cab is what?

Please weigh in with your opinion(s) and knowledge.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-05-04 10:01 AM (#119700 - in reply to #119693)
Subject: RE: Ideas on new used truck to haul GN

Expert

Originally written by chill on 2010-05-04 8:34 AM

I have a 92'ish Sundowner Gooseneck trailer.  Finally looking at replacing my GMC2500 (94) with something a bit newer.  I am looking for a 2500, automatic with a V8 4X4, gas.  I will likely haul a trailer only 1,200 miles a year and the truck will be used for short trips around town (hauling hay, wagons, tools, etc.)  My questions are:

What gear ratio for my rear end should I be looking at?  I need a work truck, my GMC is geared high and I have to put it in four wheel drive to start a wagon on clay ground (annoying).  Is one particular brand showing its worth more than another? I will likely be looking for something with low miles and about a 2005.

The thing that really worries me is the clearance on my trailer.  I have a 6 foot bed with a club cab now and have never had a problem.  I would like to stay with the short box.  The goose hitch should be placed where in realation to the axle?  Recommended clearance from the hitch to the back of the cab is what?

Please weigh in with your opinion(s) and knowledge.

First off, what gears do you have in your 94?  Since you stated you have to use the 4x4 for the wagon, I would guess you have 3.42's.....  My opinion if you are not too worried about fuel mileage I would find something with 4.10 gears that way you will have more low end and will be less likely need to use the 4x4.  This in some cases will use more fuel, but is much better on the engine and drivetrain.  In plain english you are not having to work the truck as hard as you do with a smaller engine.

As far the short bed, I really can't help you there.  I have never had room for a short bed in my farming needs.  Just not enough room.  There is a couple of companies out the make an extend gooseneck ball just for short bed truck. 

horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-05-04 10:43 AM (#119702 - in reply to #119693)

Veteran

chill,  More of the guys will chime in directly, but if I remember correctly, the ball will normally be about four inches in front of your axle.  I favor long bed, SRW, single cabs for farm trucks that pull a GN.  I won't have a short bed.  I think that it depends on where you need to take your truck and trailer and how slanted the nose is on your trailer.  I'm also with HTB on getting something that is lower geared. 
statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2010-05-04 12:08 PM (#119708 - in reply to #119693)

Veteran

I believe all three make good trucks, and since you are shopping used you will be able to find a good truck that meets your needs if you aren't stuck on one brand over the others. Our last truck was an '06 Hemi 2500, never had a problem towing what we needed to, but the mileage was horrible (down to 6MPG or so when pulling 4 horses in moderate hills). Power was always there and never had to use 4WD unless I wanted to (parked the trailer in many wet fields- not sure if I needed 4WD or not, but I always used it because I had it!).For gear ratios, I think 3.73 is by far the most common and will probably do you just fine- 4.10 will give you a bit more low end grunt but as you say you will not tow very much (I towed more than 1200 miles in the past two weeks!) you will get better mileage with the 3.73. I would try to avoid anything higher (3.43 etc), because you will lose more low end.Short box sounds like you will be fine- your old truck had a 6' bed and you are not switching trailers. You can always bring a tape measure and if you find a truck not too far away and are serious about buying most dealerships will let you take it home to test fit under the GN. I did this on a new truck and found out a 6' bed is not near enough with our trailer. Our driveway is tight and I do not believe with a 6' bed I would get the trailer out without breaking the back window. I have to jack-knife my rig every time I leave home...Clearance from the hitch to back of the cab depends on the trailer more than any fixed number.Measure from where your hitch is (or will be- you can find these numbers on the installation instructions of your preferred brand of GN hitch) to the back of your cab. Then measure from the GN to the outside of your trailer nose- a rounded nose will give you a lot more room than a square nose. An 8' wide trailer will likewise give you less room.

Edited by statzk 2010-05-04 12:11 PM
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-05-04 1:32 PM (#119712 - in reply to #119700)

Expert

In plain english you are not having to work the truck as hard as you do with a smaller engine.

An update on my post....... I am not just talking about smaller engines, what I am talking about is being able to use a truck without going to a big block to do the same job.  ie: you said something about an 05 Chevy, these trucks you can get with a 5.3, 6.0, 8.1 and the 6.6 Dmax.  In my opinion I would get something like the 6.0 engine, auto tranny with 4.10 gears or actually I would take an 8.1 engine, auto and 3.73 gears.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)