'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Insulating Horse Area

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-02 8:43 AM
7 replies, 5419 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

wsfarm
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-25 7:05 PM (#119343)
Subject: Insulating Horse Area

Hello,
I have been looking through all of the great info on this site trying to find some details on insulating the horse area of my STC 20 Exiss, aluminum roof, trailer.  I have seen the insulation options in the LQ area but not any for the horse area.  I imagine I can use the foil backed foam board with foil tape, but I can't find anything to then cover that with so it is easy to clean as we also haul cows occasionally in the trailer.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Erin

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-04-25 10:37 PM (#119355 - in reply to #119343)
Subject: RE: Insulating Horse Area

Expert

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_building_material-ft...
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-04-26 10:06 AM (#119375 - in reply to #119343)

Regular

When we insulated and finished our dressing room we simply used the rigid foam insulation, taped with the aluminum tape, and then covered everything with one side smooth plywood. I would think that regular plywood would be a decent option for you. Plywood is strong, especially if you get the thicker type, and can be rinsed off if necessary. You may want to pad the lower parts to prevent damage if you're hauling a kicker, though. On the positive side, a horse likely couldn't hurt themselves if they kicked the plywood, if you use a lighter weight material they might put a hoof through that and hurt themselves. Plywood would be much stronger.

And painting the plywood with a high gloss white paint might be useful, it would make the trailer appear lighter in color so it would seem brighter, and I would think the paint would make it easier to clean. In time the paint would start to look less than ideal, I know, but since this is the horse area an ideal appearance probably isn't necessary.

wsfarm
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-27 9:00 AM (#119416 - in reply to #119343)

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is just for the roof of the horse area.  We have already lined the sidewalls with foam insulation and then covered them w/a rubber lining.

The PolyMax Board looks like a good option.  Do you have any experience on the 1/4" vs 1/8" for a ceiling?  I don't want it to sag.  Don't know what CL the overhead supports are on off the top of my head.  Someone also mentioned attaching the foam board to the PolyMax instead of to the ceiling to create an air space.  Any thoughts on this?

It's hard to visualize without actually seeing what the boards look and feel like.

Thanks for the quick response to my question.

oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-04-27 10:34 AM (#119425 - in reply to #119343)

Regular

I want to do this too - to the roof of my steel trailer in the horse area. It gets hot back there and I would like to help keep my horse cooler. But I need exact instructions on what to buy, how to attach it, etc. Do I glue it directly onto the ceiling or what?
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-04-27 12:23 PM (#119430 - in reply to #119343)

Elite Veteran

Polymax has special fasteners that you can also buy from Farmtek. I would have to guess you would want the 1/8 inch thickness for purposes of being able to flex the sheets enough.
wsfarm
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-02 6:44 AM (#119605 - in reply to #119343)

I ordered the 1/8 Polymax for the horse and DR area. Will let everyone know how it turns out.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-05-02 8:43 AM (#119608 - in reply to #119343)

We have the polymax wall boards in the stalls of our usda approved pre export isolation quarantine facility. I don't think you will like them as a trailer ceiling. They expand and contract freq. You have to allow for so much expansion due to heat at every single point of attachment. We had some wavy stall walls in just a few days time that had to be totally redone. I would advise you to invest in the aluminum sheets that are not effected by heat or cold.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)